CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Need SOMETHING to talk about......

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need SOMETHING to talk about......

This place has been dead. We need to get this forum rolling again because my days at work are MUCH slower now [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I skipped work yesterday and took my Son out for a ride. It's been raining here for the pst six days and Mr. Weather Man said we were suppose to have a one day window of sun and that was going to be on Thursday. For once the Weather Man was correct. We got loaded up, went to the gas station, fueled up, got food and water, and off we went. It's about an hour drive to the dunes from my house. My Son was excited and talked the whole way there. We "thought" we were going to be the only ones there because of the middle of the week, etc. We were wrong!!! People were every where! It was only 8 am too! The nice thing though was we were the only ones on quads, the rest were on dirt bikes. We unloaded, got dressed up and off we went. The trail out from the parking area to the dunes are all whoops. I warmed up the quads, hit it to the first whoop and the BLAM!!!!!! There weren't puddles between the whoops, there were small lakes between the whoops!!!! My Son thought it was pretty funny, I didn't because I was soaked [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

We rode out to the dunes "Very slow" and started to tear them up. It was all fresh wet sand. If I could show you my hands you would know how hard the hook up was!! Wheelie, wheelie, wheelie every where! My Son and I went to every dune and then did a lot of cross country. We didn't see another person all day after we got way out there. It was a very nice time with just my Son. We stopped to take a break, he came up to me and put his arm around me and said " Thanks for spending some time with me" That about broke my heart. We then took off to the main dune area to watch the others. I could see that a lot of kids got new dirt bikes for Christmas because there were a lot of kids learning to ride. I met some folks that drove a little over three hours to ride. They were there for about a 1/2 hour when his tire decided to leave the rim.... He used duct tape to "try" to put it back on the rim. It took him a long time to get his bike "XR650" back to the parking lot. My Son and I showed him the quickest way back and then decided to load up and call it a day.

On the drive back my Son told me he wasn't tired. He was very quite and spacing off. I would look over at him as he yawned away..... About half way home I looked over at him, eyes closed...... Once we got home we washed the quads and trailer, put them in the garage, and called it a day.......

I just thought I would share...... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-30-2005, 11:53 AM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

Nice read Topper. Glad ya'll bonded. Looking for a similar experience with my 16yr old at 4SW. Maybe I'll have him leave the Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word Spam wordSpam word  at home so we can get some conversation in! He doesn't really care for my "they sing like girls" music, Journey, Styx. REO. Cheap Trick, Heart (oh, wait, they are girls!). That's just the cruise music though. Once we're gearing up it's all Disturbed, Godsmack, Drowning Pool,
Anyway, glad you and the boy had quality time. I think that's why God put the dunes here...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-30-2005, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

ditto to both your comments, riding with my son is the best!

Old 12-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Pro Rider

Outstanding! I can't wait for mine to get old enough to really enjoy it. I am hoping that I will have my daughter more interested in riding the dunes and working on her rides then working the malls and the boys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] We can all hope right...Sweet write up Topper, having met your son, I am absolutly sure he had a blast. He really seems to dig riding, and that is so cool. We are planning on going to Sand Mountain in January on the 21, and 22. Should be some good times. Man I wish the rain would stop, I want to do more riding....

Old 12-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Pro Rider

I enjoy riding with my son as well. I have to ride casual with him though because he is only 8yrs old. So when we ride together I can't climb big hills or shoot up a trail but I enjoy taking it easy once in awhile. Thanks for sharing your trip with your son- with us, it reminds me to remember what spending time with your children is all about and to not leave them out. Take care. RUSS

Old 12-30-2005, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

My Son can't do the big hill climbs either. I just go ahead (on the trail) of him fast and then turn around to meet up with him and do it all over again. Once we hit the dunes we don't have to ride side by side. That is one thing I like about the dunes. I can play on the bigger ones while he plays on the smaller one right next to me. He likes to try the big ones, he gets a little ways up then spins out and turns around. Sometimes I like to sit on the top of the dune to watch him. He will try and try to come meet with me, then he figure out another way to get to the top. As soon as he gets there I say "It's about time" and off we go [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I need to get him hooked up with a set of paddles, once he has those I'm sure he will do much better...... Thanks for all the comments [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-30-2005, 03:03 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
No Mercy Racing! Got NOS?

Thats cool, Nothin like seeing the smile on the kids face.... I just put up a pic of my son riding his new dirtbike. He has ridden quads for the last few years and raced pocket bikes at the local go cart track. He beat all the kids in his age group... Now all he wants to do is race up hills and wheely etc. Its funny how they get competitive. Soon he will be piloting my ds.. Hes 11 but he thinks hes invinsable..lol Oh and he wants to run comp hill real bad, So I will take him to Dumont on the off weekends and let him get his fill. We made a deal though, He MUST get good grades and be a model student and treat poeple with respect. If not all the toys go bye bye. Nice story topper.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ANNIHILATER
Thats cool, Nothin like seeing the smile on the kids face.... I just put up a pic of my son riding his new dirtbike. He has ridden quads for the last few years and raced pocket bikes at the local go cart track. He beat all the kids in his age group... Now all he wants to do is race up hills and wheely etc. Its funny how they get competitive. Soon he will be piloting my ds.. Hes 11 but he thinks hes invinsable..lol Oh and he wants to run comp hill real bad, So I will take him to Dumont on the off weekends and let him get his fill. We made a deal though, He MUST get good grades and be a model student and treat poeple with respect. If not all the toys go bye bye. Nice story topper.

Boy I agree with that. They totally have to earn the right to play.