CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Bombardier 800 vs. Polaris 800EFI

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 11:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bombardier 800 vs. Polaris 800EFI

I'm in the market for a utility ATV that has the power of these two machines. I did a search and found no threads comparing the two, so thought I'd ask, though if there are such treads, a pointer to those would be nice.

I know the engine styles are different, and that the Polaris is actually a 760cc engine, but I would like more information as to suspension, usage, and particularly owners that have each, or thoroughly tested each before purchase.

And last, is there a large discount Bombardier dealership on the east coast, prefferably in the southeast?

I am posting this in the Polaris forum too.

Old 01-24-2006, 12:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The bom guys will like the bom better, the Polaris guys will like the Polaris better. I don't see how any of these comparisons could be helpful but here is a thought.

I watched a a marketing DVD put out by BRP (Bom) that showed traction and acceleration tests between the Polaris and the Outlander. I was sold right away on the Outlander just based on what it would do in the traction tests. Go to the BRP website, you might be able to see this test. It all looked very legit to me.

The Bom has a much better power to weight ratio to. I put the link below, click on handling and watch the mud bog video.

Good Luck,

Ron Link

Old 01-24-2006, 12:18 PM
Administrator¿
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hello fastpat, welcome to the forums. Nice to see some locals joining. =]

I bought mine @ Grady Millers in Greenville and have had pretty good luck with them getting parts etc. They will drop ship to your house but I see your not too far from them. I'm not sure about there service department tho. I had an awful lot of bolts to tighten and change (stripped bolts on the nerfs) after they put mine together when I bought it. I also do my own maintenance. I'm also biased here being a hardcore Rotax fan. =]

Old 01-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

The BRP is conciderable faster in a straight line drag race and weighs about 130lbs less than the Polaris 800. Factor in the 5 year warranty I got for nothing and the fact that I really liked the BRP more in the first place, I bought it .

But I certainly would'nt shy away from the Polaris because of some stupid vidoe tape that is made by either manufacture to show-off its own product.

Try them BOTH out and buy what suits your needs best.

Old 01-24-2006, 03:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Stupid video tape?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

make sure you post this up at the polaris forum so you get both sides.....that being said

polaris..again my opinion and what i have seen personally..is that they are very unreliable and always braking down...i have a few friends who have polaris(not 800) and we rarely get a full day in without some sort of issue..

if you hit other web sites you will see they are known for breaking down, just like the ds is a fat pig..it is what it is...and yes the outy 800 is first yr and you dont know the history but the 5 yr warranty soaks that up real easy...good luck!

Old 01-24-2006, 06:16 PM
Pro Rider

IMO, The Polaris is not even in the Bombs league. I had the polaris 800 last year, however I felt the quality has improved over the poalris machines I have had in the past, and the comfort factor is still one of the best. I just feel the bomb has all the things I like about the Polaris minus the bad things, Same goes for my beloved Prairie/Twin peaks. The Bomb can play and manuver like a SRA Prairie and haul but like know other, all the while with the comfort factor of the Polaris. I would not trade back to the Polaris if they were paying me too.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks to all who replied. I stopped by the Bombardier (and Honda and Kawi) dealer to get a closer look. Started one up, sounds a lot like a Ducati at idle. Sort of suprised to find no tach, but maybe that's common on ATV's. Anyway, fi I can get the local dealer to make a deal at other than MSRP, I'll probably go for it.

Otherwise, I'll have to shop dealers.

Old 01-25-2006, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

The Bomb does have a tach, you have to switch modes on the display. You can have an analog speedo and a digital tach or you can swap the analog speedo function and watch the needle dance in tach mode. It actualy has 2 tachs

Old 01-25-2006, 12:16 AM
Pro Rider

fastpat........on the relative power curves, the Outy is highest, then BF750, then Polaris 800 EFI, and then the King Quad 700.

Quick Reply: Bombardier 800 vs. Polaris 800EFI