CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Just got my Aluminum 720 kit!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 06:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got my Aluminum 720 kit!!!

Old 03-13-2006, 12:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: yjacket2001
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JE-Hi...spagenameZWDVW

Standard Pistons $150 NEW JE above or similar. Custom fit cylinder around.
Head gaskets and labor not included in any option.

Can use 'pre-selected' configured pistons, but may not be for your particular duty cycle wanted.
Best to investigate and have custom cylinder expert advise. NO COST. Millinnium works directly with CP pistons so
may be advantage with their custom pistons. CP custom pistons only take one piston order vs JE rcustom pistons require 4 pistons minimum ordered.

Cost comparison $550 vs $1863. 30% cost or $1313 saved for custom racing spec cylinder. Custom piston slightly above depending on options for custom cylinder option. Custom piston not available in deluxe big bore package. Free shipping included in custom cylinder so no additional cost added for sending initial cylinder to Millinnium. Many variable options available depending on needs and initial cylinder size to work with.

And here's a helpful hint for those unaware: higher octane fuel required, compression ratio, and rpms = shorter engine life. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

How much for a CP piston made to 105 or 105.5 specs?

$60 Cometic gasket and $415 featherlite piston is included in the HPR 730 kit.

You also don't have to modify your stock cylinder with the 730. You can keep it or sell it to offset the cost of the new cylinder.

I don't necessarily buy the old school conventional wisdom that simply by going higher compression and higher rpms will shorten the life of your motor. There are many other factors that shorten engine life much more commonly like poor maintenence, or lean jetting or failing to use appropriate octane fuel. The biggest determining factor is how hard you run them.

Remember when you put your new piston and rings in you are installing a much higher quality part that will withstand heat much better. As I recall, the ring packages that come with the 730 kit have a nikasil coating on them to. Nikasil on nikasil will make for much longer ring endurance at acceptable compression range.

Most CDI's are going up to about 8750 rpm which is 1000 over stock. Most people are not cammed to rev this high in normal applications so the small amount of time spent at these rpms will probably not make much difference. Those that are cammed to run that high and make power up there have much stiffer valve springs to keep the valves from floating which can be a cause of immediate engine failure under the right circumstances..........especially on NOS.

I think if you run a stock bike all out all the time under race conditions, its life will be shortened much more than simply performing performance mods that increase internal stress will. When you install the lighter piston, you dramatically reduce internal stress. Also a good Cometic gasket will last longer at 12:1 than a stocker will last at 9:1 under similer riding conditions.

I would not factor engine life into the kinds of performance setups we are talking about here. The motor might last 5 minutes longer if you don't modify it after you look at all the factors.

Old 03-13-2006, 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

NUT,

Ok, you sold me. I'm saving up for a 730 as I speak right now.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

Sandman, thank you for mentioning "into it for a grand". That's about what I got in my home grown 730. I was reading this thread and was getting pi$$ed I spent so much. I think I'm alright now.

Old 03-13-2006, 05:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SANDMAN430
what is the cost of this system? cylinder install is it 400 and then you need a piston, aren't they 300-400 then a set of gaskets. head and base, not sure plus you do all the work? and what about install you or a mech, you find on your own? and i'm not interested in any garage sell pistons, what does bom, tvi or hpr sell them for? looks like you could be into it for a grand, or am i missing something?
$300-400 for a piston, no!! $160 shipped and JE stocks them, no need to buy a set of 4.

I paid $375 shipped for my 720cc kit, plus gasket.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:24 PM
Pro Rider

Ill be at $600 total for my 720 kit (Cylinder, Piston 13 to 1, Cometic gaskets), mine was more than scoobys I had a steel sleeve removed from my cylinder and replaced with a aluminum sleeve.

Old 03-13-2006, 06:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ERBEDS650
Ill be at $600 total for my 720 kit (Cylinder, Piston 13 to 1, Cometic gaskets), mine was more than scoobys I had a steel sleeve removed from my cylinder and replaced with a aluminum sleeve.
I never knew you already had a steel sleeve. Have you been running a 720 sleeved bore all this time?

Old 03-14-2006, 04:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Saw some Pami 108's run at the Clash, if your into the motor at any length, I would go with that set-up for sand-drags.

Old 03-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Pro Rider

108mm dia? My goodness, that's a whopper.

Is this an AL cylinder and what does this kit cost?

Old 03-18-2006, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ScoobyDFW
Originally posted by: DuneMe
Scooby:

Are you saying you bored your stock jug to a 105 WITHOUT a sleeve?
The cylinder skirt that extends below the case doesn't serve much purpose. The piston itself doesn't contact the cylinder bore. There is no pressure on the the cylinder bore below the case. So having a thin cylinder skirt is not real important.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Just got my Aluminum 720 kit!!!