CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

top speed

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2006, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default top speed

I have hit 77mph on dry pavement, with no wind.

Old 03-31-2006, 02:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default top speed

Originally posted by: aceisback
Originally posted by: DuneRider650
....you are not going very fast prob around 70mph.
Not very fast huh?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] You've got me curious as to what fast is now and how many of us ever go fast. I've cruised some bowls at Glamis and Dumont fifth gear pinned but doubt I was ever going 70mph (15t/22"Stars), but it was definitely what I would consider to be fast.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] And Hella fun.

Maybe I'm just a wuss but I can tell you after crashing at 45mph and breaking a hip, shoulder and three ribs, followed by a stroke caused by the Hematoma from the hip injury, followed by open heart surgery, that "around 70" is pretty quick. An the healing process ain't.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] Dec 23 1999 an my a$$ is still hurting. Well actually my shoulder. And when they split you down the middle like a Christmas turkey and you're hanging on for dear life while cruising the dunes and your sternum is grinding back and forth it can get annoying.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I'd say 70mph on an ATV is pretty quick.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Well I would have to agree with "aceisback" 70mph is plenty fast, and the speeds that some of you folks are achieving is darn fast. I ride the dunes only, and I've suffered my share of broken ribs and bruises, so I pretty much only ride fast on the wide open flats, achieving top speed doesn't do anything for me, its the getting up the big hill the fastest that makes my day. I hope none of you achieving 80+mph on the hard pack never wrecks. I guess my riding pholosophy has been molded partly by experience, and age.....lol

Old 03-31-2006, 03:26 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Default top speed

Yes Sir, experience and age go a long way when safety comes into play. I too hope they keep the rubber side down at those speeds. There is a time and place for everything. And that is all the time and in the dunes.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2006, 03:38 PM
Pro Rider
Default top speed

Not very fast huh?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] You've got me curious as to what fast is now and how many of us ever go fast. I've cruised some bowls at Glamis and Dumont fifth gear pinned but doubt I was ever going 70mph (15t/22"Stars), but it was definitely what I would consider to be fast.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] And Hella fun.

Maybe I'm just a wuss but I can tell you after crashing at 45mph and breaking a hip, shoulder and three ribs, followed by a stroke caused by the Hematoma from the hip injury, followed by open heart surgery, that "around 70" is pretty quick. An the healing process ain't.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img] Dec 23 1999 an my a$$ is still hurting. Well actually my shoulder. And when they split you down the middle like a Christmas turkey and you're hanging on for dear life while cruising the dunes and your sternum is grinding back and forth it can get annoying.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

I'd say 70mph on an ATV is pretty quick.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Damn Ace! That sucks man. Good to hear you are feeling better. 7 years and still sore. I hate to hear that kind of thing. But you make a great point. You gotta be careful anytime you are on one of these beasts. Hope you do make a full recovery, and yes 70mph is very fast... especially when you weigh 350lbs. LOL

Old 03-31-2006, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default top speed

Curious Re: the top subject
I figure the drag guys would know more about that than any one right ?
They have got to be clocking both speeds and times at sanctioned drag races where its designed to be safe and speeding is expected.
My self I pretty regularly hit 5 WOT and want more... see there's this big BIG bowl at Butter Cup/Gordons Well (A.K.A. the Sand Dunes) where this old guy Bob Johnson was clocked doin like 78 across the top of the bowl on his banchee...
You can easily open her up all day long and all night on this bowl... relatively safely even the transision at the bottom is smooth and I rarely if ever bottom out... lots of fun doing it in the dark...
Don't ask about my mods .. as I am basically stock ... just a few mods... (stickers help)
-just my 2 cents... fun to BS about.

Old 03-31-2006, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default top speed

That bowl is sweet, I know exactly where you are talking about. Open it up and let it fly, but I still can't bang the limiter in 5th on that bowl. ILivSD, we'll have to meet up out there some time. Probably next season, I'm done for this one... school and work are killing me, but I think I'm going to tear the ol' DS down and do some mods I've been waiting on. I got a pile of parts, and no time. Maybe by next fall I'll be done.

Old 03-31-2006, 04:33 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default top speed

Originally posted by: yfzfryguy

Well I would have to agree with "aceisback" 70mph is plenty fast, and the speeds that some of you folks are achieving is darn fast. I ride the dunes only, and I've suffered my share of broken ribs and bruises, so I pretty much only ride fast on the wide open flats, achieving top speed doesn't do anything for me, its the getting up the big hill the fastest that makes my day. I hope none of you achieving 80+mph on the hard pack never wrecks. I guess my riding pholosophy has been molded partly by experience, and age.....lol
YFZfryguy,

Aren't you over 300 lbs? That might be part of the problem hitting the rev limiter in 5th. lol [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Didn't we hit the limiter with my high compression stock bore? I think my 730 will once I get enough fuel to the top end............oh and NOSS! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-31-2006, 05:09 PM
Range Rover
Default top speed

See NUT, thats a sure sign of my old age, I think your bike did hit the rev limiter in 5th wot, but I must have forgotten all about that. As for a wise crack about my weight, I'm trying to lose some weight, but at 300lbs, weight doesn't just fall off.......my goal is to be around 205lbs by Dune Fest....then maybe 125lbs by DS days....lol..

Old 03-31-2006, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider
Runs a 730 kit from OMW with web109's and a 48mm lectron. It has some serious torque!
Default top speed

my stock ds did 79 before it bumped the limiter, when it was stock i could bump the limiter in 5th no problem