CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Memorial Day - St Anthony's - Roll Call

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2006, 02:49 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Memorial Day - St Anthony's - Roll Call

Please give a full ride report and race report when you all get back. Can't wait to here how it went.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Pro Rider

I cancelled my trip due to weather. I hope the weather channel is wrong, but it looks like saturday/sunday/ and a little monday rain. Snow on sunday is the forcast..................Sorry I missed out. I am headed up in a week instead.

Old 05-27-2006, 02:10 AM
Range Rover

I decided to cancel my trip too, due to the weather. I just couldn't justify a one day trip with rain and wind in the forcast. I was really looking forward to getting up there and meeting all you guys. I guess we will have to hook up another time. Not sure when I can make it back up there.

Old 05-28-2006, 08:03 PM
Pro Rider

I just got back. I think I'll type up my report later. Saturday's temp drop by nearly 40 degrees raised havok on a lot of motors. Things were honkey dorey before that.

Old 05-28-2006, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

I just got back and I thought I would give my report.

I followed Jed up on Wednesday and got checked in at the Desert Oasis private campground. I like the campground even though the owner wanted us to really pack our people in there. In all, I think we had eight RVs in our group and fifteen to twenty people total.

Wednesday, Thursday and Friday the sand and the weather were good. I spent Thursday morning retuning my carb to get it right. I thought I was rich, and just decided to start over. The sand was perfect on those days. Most of my rides with Jed, Nate and the others were over to Thunder Hill.

On Friday, a large group of us which included Jed and Curtis where there at Thunder Hill. Jed was dialing in his nitrous taking several runs on all motor and some with motor and nitrous. Nate also took many runs as well as I on and off nitrous. Thunder is a pretty short hill and moderately steep and has some pretty good whoops. I gave Jed my GPS so that we could measure top speed up the hill. He was at 50mph before the hill ran out. Then, in front of a group of 20 -30 by-standers, Jed and Curtis lined up. What I saw was a tie right up the hill. Clearly, Curtis’s suspension was taking the whoops better and I even noticed Jed back off through one of them. But they both ended up a tie in my opinion. Jed’s shot on that pass was with two 15hp NOSS nozzles with his new motor.

I put Jed on my EX and with a 25hp shot, made 40mph up the hill. Jed and Nate made several very positive comments to me on Thursday and Friday. Jed also raced a stock 700R with my EX quad on motor only and came out on top.

On Saturday, the weather changed dramatically with temperature drops somewhere around 40 degrees. There were reports of at least 6 ATVs that went lean due to the temperature changes. I was reminded of Oregon, when the summer riders have everything tuned for summer temps and then try riding in the winter with temperature drops by 30-40 degrees – which makes the air thicker and leads to lean conditions.

Saturday morning Nate came over with his quad as it was burning oil. I looked at his NOSS system and it was working correctly. Then, several other reports of quads without nitrous systems also ran lean and had motor issues from throughout the campground. Jed came back and also was burning oil which started on a on a non-nitrous run. So, I decided to risk a ride on mine and I too noticed near lean conditions with my motor which was tuned correct just 2 days before.

Later that night, my buddy Brian put on a fairly decent fireworks show and even with temps as low as they were, about ½ of us stuck it out until Sunday.

That’s about it – Im sure some of the more interesting evening events will make themselves known. However, I would like to comment that I did not see one UFO.

Marky

Old 05-28-2006, 09:17 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sweet writeup Marky, sounds like a great time!

Yes temp is a big deal alright, 30 or 40 degrees means about 2 main jet sizes for me

Old 05-28-2006, 09:27 PM
Pro Rider

It was sad to see the carnage for sure. There were a lot of other fun things that happened though. Including one story about some people from ... ahem ... our camp who partook of a ride in a corvette powered sand car. The story goes that one person had to stop to lose his lunch, which started a domino affect throughout the passenger list!

I also partook of a ride, we hit a witches eye at some pretty good speed and the car was slightly damaged. While the owner was inspecting, I decided to get out myself to stretch my legs - I too felt a bit woozy - but managed to keep my lunch.

That car was one amazing ride. Nate was keeping quiet, but know I did the roller coaster scream a few times! I think you have to decide that you are simply going to die, and then you can enjoy the rest of the ride!