CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

I think it's the Alky causing the serious problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think it's the Alky causing the serious problems

Trust me, it's way beyond that.... although I do thank the thought. For as many times as that carb boot has been on and off and refitted, the chances of having the same leak every single time are slim to none.

DSNUT, I just threw it back together with a 80 pilot, 95 needle richest clip, main jet holder drilled to 9/64" which is equal to approx a 336 mikuni jet size, no main....(the main drilled to 336 had the threads break off in the holder, and they don't wanna come out! so I figure for all intensive purposes, the lack of a main won't hurt being the same size as the main jet holder anyways.) I'm gonna head out and fire it up, tune in the air fuel screw, i figure 2 turns out to start with... and we'll see what she does. I'll report back soon. Hopefully happier than not...lol

Old 05-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: TheChosenOne
Trust me, it's way beyond that.... although I do thank the thought. For as many times as that carb boot has been on and off and refitted, the chances of having the same leak every single time are slim to none.

DSNUT, I just threw it back together with a 80 pilot, 95 needle richest clip, main jet holder drilled to 9/64" which is equal to approx a 336 mikuni jet size, no main....(the main drilled to 336 had the threads break off in the holder, and they don't wanna come out! so I figure for all intensive purposes, the lack of a main won't hurt being the same size as the main jet holder anyways.) I'm gonna head out and fire it up, tune in the air fuel screw, i figure 2 turns out to start with... and we'll see what she does. I'll report back soon. Hopefully happier than not...lol
Good luck man, I hope this helps

Old 05-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

Well, wit5h the settings I had said I was gonna do, it fired right up, and idled nice. I didn't wanna jump on it and tear off only to have something go wrong on me right away....So I let it sit there and idle for a while. I dipped a piece of paper towel in the oil tank to saturate it with some of the returns. I then performed the flamability test on said piece of paper towel...No ignition....Little or no alky in my oil. It also failed to show any milky signs.
Within probibly say 15 mins of idleing, the temp slowly rose to about 190 degrees F. At that point I shut her down and it's cooling now. I assume that hopefully the high temp achieved is due to it just sitting there idleing, and the fact it's about 25 degrees C outside. My fan is not operational at the moment, as my coolant guage is in the fan sensor's place. I'll check the plugs and see what they look like, and I guess if everything looks good there, the only thing to do is take it out for a spin...Unless anyone else has any ideas of what to check first. But by now I should be damn well righ enough one would think. But lets see what you guys think.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

TheChosenOne, I have a story for ya.
It's about the blown engine I talked about earler.
The first time I took it to the strip It ran killer during the burn out. Made real good power.
I lined up, dropped the tranny brake out, and off I went. Yanked the front end and planted me in the seat. Felt REAL good.
Banged it into 2nd and the car nosed over just like it hit a rubber wall. Brought it around and checked the jetting. LEAN. No problem, I changed the jets and went way big.
Took it for another run and the same thing happened.......But earlier. Checked the plugs..............LEAN. Put BIGGER jets in.
Took it for another run.....................samething. This time I said F,it. Kept it floored. Bang went the engine.
BTW, I kept an eye on the fuel pressure gauge on the last run. 7.5 throughout the run.
The fuel fitting you mentioned, this caused the fuel supply to run dry and lean it out causing boom or what?
My point in telling you this story is this. "I" had a restriction in one fuel fitting that fed the duel 4B's. The plugs read lean. What do you do when the plugs read lean? Well hell, everybody knows you jet up!!! I jetted up and the problem got worse!!!! What the #$%#@$%^^$^#$&$%$%@#????????

Am I in some sort of reverse universe?????? When you jet up the plugs should show richer?????

The problem was the restricted fitting. It let very little fuel in the carbs but it packed up the fuel against the fitting and the pressure gauge showed normal. The bigger jet I went too to fix the problem the worst the problem got because it was using the little fuel that was getting to the float bowl. This was on gas, not alky, and the alky will even show up worse because of the fuel flow an alky engine takes.

I'm hopping to point you in the right direction with my story. I'm not trying to confuse you, and I hope I don't.

If the thing idles nice and cruises nice but when you hammer on it, and it heats up and falls flat, I would be looking for ANY fuel restriction.

From what I know about alky, (I'll be the first to admit I'm no expert on alky) it is very hard to go TOO rich on alky with carbs. It is VERY easy to go too lean on carbs.
If you go rich on alky your going to have to change your oil. If you go lean on alky your damn sure going to have to change more than that.

Good luck and let us know what you find out. I want to learn.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:34 AM
Pro Rider

Dr. Turbo, I like the way you put that....nice story, and really makes things easy to understand. I had understood the point of the restriction as you had mentioned before hand, as I continue to understand now. it makes sense, no doubt about it. However, the slight restriction (aka a small piece of fuel line) that I have now, has only been added since I rebuilt the thing this last time. Prior to this, everything flowed more than fast enough, and I'm not even sure if it's restricted enough by that smaller hose piece I used, just mentioned that if anything, thats it.

It had gotten hot even at times when I wasn't hammering on it, just moderate trail riding and such. There is no way I would be runing into a position where there is a restrictive enough situation to fail to supply enough fuel. This reminds me of something I have noticed every now and then that shouldhelp justify my beliefs of such.

---When my carb is completely empty such s when I remove the float bowl, when i put everything back together and open up the fuel, my float needle sometimes sits a little off jaming my floats open. Now the time it takes from when I open the fuel to when I have alky spewing out of the overflow and vent in the carb, I barely have time to bend down and reach underneath to lightly tap the carb bowl to free the float causing it to shut off the supply. if my engine under moderate load requires more flow than that, then I would run through a tank of fuel in less than 7 minutes. I havethought about the possibility of that float needle having anything to do with my issues, but nothing has surfaced so far.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to shove anything back in anyones face, nor do I make my comments qwith any sort of attitude implied, however if I were reading this from your standpoint that might be what comes to mind. But it's not. I greatly appreciate everyones input, and hell, half of us wouldn't be where we are today without he ones who reply to these threads. The points that have been mentioned are very valid, and very much appreciated, and hopefuly I clear this up quick, so we can all have one more piece of info at our disposal. Until then, Thanks once again, and good luck.

Old 05-19-2006, 01:23 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!

I take no offence at all TheChosenOne.
I tell these silly stories to hopefully jog you into something you have not checked or tried. Or to jog someone else into thinking............................hey........... ..That happened to me three years ago and the problem was......................................

My neighbor is a pro wrench. I love to go over there and talk to him about some of the weird problems he incounters every month.

I know how you feel. I just missed a race last week because I could not get a small block Chevy running right!!! Ha ha ha, for Christ sake it's a small block Chevy with a carb on it!!!! A monkey can tune it!!! We have even changed the engine trying to solve the problem!!!! It just won't go away!!! So your not alone when you talk about weird problems!!! ( Can someone send a monkey my way???)

Like I said, good luck, and when you find the problem let us know so everybody can learn. I try to log these problems in my little pea brain so I look smart when they pop up again. LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]