CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS Running like a dog, and red light coming on

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 12:04 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DS Running like a dog, and red light coming on

Ok, Last couple times I've been out the red temp/oil light comes on after low speed hard riding(gravel pits), only at idle, and flickers or stays constant, as soon as you blip the throttle it goes out. I assume this must be the oil pressure, what would cause this, is the oil just getting to thin when its hot? Should idle be set higher to compensate?
Also the bike is bogging at highspeed and has gas dripping out the bottom of the carb when its sitting, would the float be to high? Would this cause the high speed lack of power?
Thanks all, you guys are great.

Old 06-16-2006, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Have you ever bled your oil system? With a 2000 I think you should look into it. If I am not mistaken the 2000 does not have the vent line that allows any tapped air to escape through to the tank.

Old 06-16-2006, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer

I loosened the bleed screw and spun the motor a few times with kill switch off when I changed the oil. The light doesn't come on until I ride it hard and get things good and hot......

Old 06-16-2006, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Did oil start to pump out of the screw?

Old 06-16-2006, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Crazee, you are on the right track. First, check your oil level and make sure it is not low. If its good you need to find out what kind of oil pressure you are getting. Your pump may be on its way out.

As for the fuel, sounds like the floats are stuck open, or need adjusted. Take the bowl off and pull the needle and seat. Make sure there is no residue that is causing them to not properly seal. Then check the level and adjust as neccessary. This could be causing the lack of power up top, but until you fix it its hard to say.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:07 AM
Pro Rider

Your oil sensor may be going bad also.Mine faded in and out before it went.
When i was running dino oil it would get thin and trick the sensor.Good luck.

Old 06-16-2006, 02:39 PM
Range Rover

Check that oil screen at the bottom of the oil reservor. That might be clogged up, starving your engine of oil!

Old 06-17-2006, 06:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

make sure the screen on the oil tank hose barb is clean as steve says,

then replace the oil pressure sensor, 10 to 1 that's your problem, they cost $8. they crack at only a few psi, single digits, and the DS oil system is operating at a pretty high pressure, 80psi at high rpm, the sensor merely warns of an almost total lack of pressure, so if the oil light was coming on for the right reasons your motor would be toast by now.

but there is also the chance it is the temp sensor - either one can make the light come on - when the red light comes on, unplug the single wire that goes to the oil sensor, and if it goes out there is your culprit. if it don't, then remove the single wire on the temp switch, if it goes out there is your culprit.

Old 06-17-2006, 07:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

on the gas dripping, could be float height but if the bowl has never been off and its unadulterated its most likely dirt in the needle valve and seat causing the bowl to overfill. the valve is rubber tipped, micro dirt particles imbed in it, and sometimes even after a good cleaning of it and seat it may still leak, its best to replace them both, around $20 for the set.

or it could be dirt in the bowl drain screw and seat causing a leak there, it and the overflow come out the same hose.

and for the bogging at high speed, see if it does with the gas cap off, if it quits bogging then that means the tank breather hose is pinched somewhere under the tank, very common. but if it still does it then the carb may either be out of tune, or the jetting is partially plugged with the same dirt that got in the needle valve and seat.
but you should also rule out valve adjustment if it hasn't been checked lately, check valve gap and make sure you don't have an intake valve paritally hanging open as valve gap diminishes over time as valves and seats wear.

Old 06-17-2006, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

Make sure there is no dirt in the radiator fins, this happened to me once, I checked everything, oil, coolant etc......ended up taking it in for service anyway as it was due and they simply found the radiator fins to be pretty caked with dust....Light only came on at low idles etc. but would go out when I picked up speed. Probably not what your problem is since you're leaking fuel as well but worth a look.