CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Lowering the Outlander 800

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2006, 09:04 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowering the Outlander 800

Turned my 800 over on my first ride making a gentle left turn while decending a hill. This is the first time I have ever turned an ATV over, it is also the first time I have had one with IRS and 12 inches of ground clearance.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on how to lower the 800 to make it less tippy? I like this ATV but it is tall and heavy, and the stock tires do not have as much grip as I would like.

Any suggestions?

Old 07-16-2006, 10:46 PM
Range Rover

Increase your air pressure and set you shock preload on softer positions. Your Outty is one of the most stabile one's out their. Once you get used to it you will know your and the machines limitions.

Old 07-16-2006, 10:56 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Yea what he said also don't lower it widen it with 2" wheel spacers on each tire BOOM more stability....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: AZSAND
Yea what he said also don't lower it widen it with 2" wheel spacers on each tire BOOM more stability....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
If you widen it, you may get more bump steer, so add a steering stabilizer.

I've done some pretty extreme downhills on old mining trails and never 'fell over'. Were you going fast, or too slow? Was it really the quad or the rider? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-16-2006, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

I was going slow down a steep grade and made a gentle left and all of a sudden I am on a teeder totter and I went over the handlebars and the 800 rolled over me and flipped three times.

Like I said, I am new to IRS. I have taken my KFX 700 almost everywhere up and down but it has less ground clearance and is single axle with elkas.

I hate to think about spacers, the 800 was handfull enough getting between trees without having an additional 4 inches of width to worry about. But...if that is what I have to do.......where do I get spacers?

I was not happy with the traction I was getting from the stocker carlisle tires as well. Any suggestions on what I should upgrade to for trail riding?

Do you guys normally put the 800 in low when going down steep grades? Do you find the engine breaking kicks in right was or is there a delay?

Old 07-17-2006, 12:13 AM
Pro Rider

the problem is because the front springs are soft on the outty and when you go down hill and turn it will go up on 3 wheels because of the front spring rate is to soft. The irs had nothing to do with the roll over. you need to take it back to the dealer and have them put the free upgrade front springs in it and this will make the front stiffer and less tippy

Old 07-17-2006, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider

That make sense.

They have a free upgrade?

Old 07-17-2006, 12:30 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: brewster2003
That make sense.

They have a free upgrade?

i'd also like to find out more about these free spring upgrades.

Old 07-17-2006, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider

2 of my buddy's have done it so far and it was free. I like the soft front springs but I also do extream riding. I ride the rubicon and the sierra trek all the time

Old 07-17-2006, 07:46 AM
Pro Rider

Also check your air pressure, you should have at least 5lbs in them.

Do you have an XT with the Carlisle ACTs???? I have found them to be a very good all purpose trail tire. Of course I'm in AZ and ride mainly dry surfaces, from hardpack to slick rock to slippery pea gravel slopes, and sandy soil. I did ride through the river (more like a creek for you eastern folks) with a sandy mud bottom and the ACTs had good traction.

If you are only riding in mud, get a mud tire, but a mud tire is not a good all purpose tire. The deep lugs will tear up the trails an you will actually get less traction on slickrock applications. The same on hardpack, the deep lugs actually have less rubber in contact with the surface the a less agressive tire.

What ever tire you choose, make sure its a radial.

Quick Reply: Lowering the Outlander 800