CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Coolant leak, easy fix?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak, easy fix?

Hey guys,

Started up the new quad and noticed coolant was leaking out around the coolant drain bolt, see pics 1&2. Is there suppose to be a washer on there?

Pic 1
Pic 2

Thanks,
Josh

Old 07-21-2006, 09:25 PM
Pro Rider

Looked at the microfiche online and it looks like there is suppose to be a washer like this one: CLICK ME! . Think the absence of that little washer is causing it to leak?

Old 07-21-2006, 10:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

its a little copper washer, you might can get one at a local hardware store, 6mm inside dia., but a 1/4" might work in a pinch.
if you have a hydraulics supply house nearby, an industrial supplier that makes hydraulic lines and such, they will certianly have one for ya.

there's a little wheep hole just behind that bolt, underneath. if coolant is coming from the wheephole that means waterpump seals are ate up and shaft grooved. replace both seals and the shaft, total of about $25 in parts. I would look close and make sure this aint where your leak is coming from. certainly looks like the bolt as you suspect judging from the pics, but be sure before you drive to SL next weekend! if it happens to be the water pump seals and shaft, and you can't get parts in time, I have them and can hook you up at camp. but yes it does just look like that missing washer.

Old 07-22-2006, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

I will double check tomorrow but the picture I have in my service manual shows the weep hole pretty far underneath to the left. Lets hope its just the washer, I have way to much other stuff to do before the trip. I am heading to the dealer tomorrow to pic up a baja light that I broke on my 04, wonder if they can order the washer just for piece of mind, if you look at the fiche http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandi...id~1408908.asp , there is no listing for 21, but it looks to be the same washer as 16. What should these bolts be torqued to?

Old 07-22-2006, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Found the torque spec 89 in pounds.

Old 07-23-2006, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

Good news is its not coming out of the weep hole. I took the bolt out and the washer was indeed missing, I put a 6mm stainless washer on there and it still leaks. Is there something special about the bombardier washer? Looks like I will have to order one on Monday, which is no big deal, but I want to make sure that fixes it as I am getting down to the wire here for time.

Old 07-23-2006, 03:34 PM
Pro Rider

Yes the hardware will have brass washers, you could also use a plastic washer, also at the hardware.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:27 AM
Pro Rider

So there is something that special about the bombardier washer?? Like I said a standard 6mm didn't fix it. The brass and copper washers at the hardware store had too large of an outside diameter.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

I just don't want to order the washer, drive 45 minutes 1 way to the dealership and have it not fix the leak. Not sure what else could be the problem besides the washer.

Old 07-24-2006, 12:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

the only thing special is its copper - it is soft and the conforms to the aluminum surface it sits against as well as the bolt head, for a seal. it is basically a hard gasket. that bolt is the bolt that is used for draining the coolant, that it why its hole is open to the coolant flow, and therefore needs a seal. brass is used because it seals, but is hard so you can torque the bolt, since it also is structural and holds the water pump cover in place, along with the other two, which have no seals because their holes are not open to coolant flow.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak, easy fix?