CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

can-am800 vs sportsman800

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006 | 10:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default can-am800 vs sportsman800

Your'e on a can am forum so you will probably more get info favoring can am. I have both an 07 650 can am, a 04 400 outy and a 04.5 500 sportsman and will try to be objective. In my opinion the sportsman rides a little better and steers a little easier. If you are going to ride fast on the trails the can am is the one to get as it handles better at high speed. The sportsman is a great work machine and I use it to plow snow with. If you get the can am you should put skid plates on it, I did on mine but I think the plates might interfear with a plow mount. My can am 650 gets better gas milage than the sportsman 500. On a recent ride the my outy 400 and my 650 outy can am both used one gallon and a half of gas while the sportsman used two gallons. The engine braking system on the outys is great, the polaris will slide some when going down hill. I haven't driven a 800 sportsman so I can't comment on it, my 650 is fast and has the fun factor. I have had some electronic problems with the can ams, the voltage regulator on the 04 (had to pay for) speedometer and speed sensor replaced , one time starter problem and one time winch problem on the 07 (under warantee) no problems with the sportsman. The sportsman seems to be built a little more rugged. I like both machines, if I was just going for a leasurely ride I probably use the sportsman as it has a great ride. If I was going to ride with guys and ride hard I would take the can am as it handles better. Don't get me wrong the can am has a good ride also but in my opinion not quite as confortable as the sportsman. I am 69 yrs old but still like speed!

Old 10-02-2006 | 01:46 AM
Pro Rider

I had the sportsman 800 last year, I agree the Outy rides smoother, and I think goodsound said it best in that its better in every way vs the sportsman 800, the sportsman is not really even close to 800cc, more like 760. There is a very noticable difference in the power department.

Old 10-02-2006 | 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just got my Bomb 800 on Saturday. It's a 2007 800 XT Camo. I had a windshield, 60" plow and hand warmers put on. I a going to take the plate for the plow off until snow comes as I see that it leaves metal hanging down to catch on things.

I devirginized it yesterday with my two boys. We loaded up a trailer and took our bikes to a place caled Seddon's Corner near where we live. There are lots of trails and pits. People come rom all over the Province to play there. My 8 year old rides a Bombarider Rally 200 and my 10 year old rides a Suzuki JR80 dirt bike, although he was beging to ride the quads when we got into the deep sand and hills.

Regarding the Outty, I had read a lot of things negative about them, and many things good. I was realy looking for the negatives. The first thing I really noticed was the cheasy plastic skid in front and under the CVs and Diffs. I realize now that a belly skid won't fit with my plow on. Not sure about skids interfering anywhere else. The second thing I noticed was the heat. I did feel the heat quite a bit on my thighs, and if it was in the 80's or 90's, I would have been uncomfortable if not really moving. I was ondering that point, as I stopped at the bottom of a long and very steep trail up the side of a sand hill, then matter of factly walked up the hill, back down the other side and then half way up the next even steeper hill. I stopped, thinking how stupid that really was, or would have been with my Polaris Sportsman 500, and then hit the gas and finished the climb. I got to the top and started thinking, "Wow. And I'm worried about a little heat? ****, it's not unbearable and besides, it will keep me warm in winter when I'm plowing. Geeze, this thing has a lot of jam."

Anyway, my point is that everything just seemed easier on this quad. It was on the verge of boring since that quad was so capable, anything other than a hill that would tip you over backwards was a breeze. Running it fast would be a little more exciting, but I know it will be a walk in the park for this rig. To go even further, I think the quad is so capable, that it will even help some riders ride better, as they won't have to fight the machine to do what they want it to do. Now I haven't taken it into mud or deep water yet, and I am a bit nervous about all the problems stated in this area, but I will spend a lot of time in loon **** of various consistencies, so i will be anxious to see what it will do and what mods I have to make to keep it in service, instead of in the shop. Anyone who has advice on must haves would be welcome.

Oh yeah, what's this about the camo finish? I saw a comment but noone has elaborated yet....

Old 10-02-2006 | 11:24 AM
Pro Rider

The first thing I really noticed was the cheasy plastic skid in front and under the CVs and Diffs. I realize now that a belly skid won't fit with my plow on. Not sure about skids interfering anywhere else>>>>>

You can have your own skids cut to fit. I had a 72x12" sheet of aluminum cut and I drilled the holes etc myself. May not look totally professional from under the quad but who the hell cares? This thing is gonna get pounded with rocks and stuff so it won't look all new and shiney once I actually use it with them now.

You have to bend the first 9" to a 90 degree angle but having done it once now it would be a piece of cake making another one.

Old 10-02-2006 | 11:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Mike.

Would aluminum hold up that much better?? What grade did you use? How thick?

Old 10-02-2006 | 11:40 AM
Pro Rider

This was a very inexpensive "rough draft" for lack of a better term. I simply haven't ridden it yet to determine how it will hold up. IMO at this point something is better then nothing, I ride an old abandoned rock quarry often and the rocks kicking up under my feet was concerning me. The plate I made not only covers the 4" SST frame it also sticks out 4" on each side, hopefully protecting other parts (brakes, wires etc). I'm reinforcing the front plate with some diamond plate since this is where most of the abuse seems to take place.

I'm not sure on the thickenss, it's thin enough for me to bend if I pound on it with a hammer but takes some work. My buddy has thicker aluminum but I wanted to use somethig I could cut/bend myself since I don't have the tools like his shop does. If this aluminum doesn't hold up too well I'll just get another sheet cut but one or two sizes thicker.

Old 10-02-2006 | 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

hey kawiyowee, I agree that the canam 800 is a great quad, But before you go claiming how the 4wd on a polaris works go ride one you moron. you don't have clue.

Old 10-02-2006 | 07:38 PM
Pro Rider

Hes wright on the down hill because I have owned them before and had some fast rides down hill and up hill the back has to slip before the front will work.The popos that I had after 3000mi started falling apart.

Old 10-03-2006 | 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

funny you should mention the fact that the polaris comes up on steep trails because a rider was killed in Co just recently under the same condition. The paper made a point to say it was a polaris and even gave the weight of the machine. The poor guy had lots of experiece on quads and died of head injuries- was wearing a helement

Old 10-03-2006 | 01:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mrtwostroke
hey kawiyowee, I agree that the canam 800 is a great quad, But before you go claiming how the 4wd on a polaris works go ride one you moron. you don't have clue.
Educate me. Exactly how does the awd on a polaris work?

Quick Reply: can-am800 vs sportsman800