CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Need honest opinion either get an outty or keep ds

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need honest opinion either get an outty or keep ds

I was just curious to wether it would be worth getting rid of my ds 650 to get an outty...I am trails riding and don't really race in drags like others in here do...I have another sport quad a 450r so I would be fine in that area...But would it be worth it to trade in my ds in order to purchase an outty 800..I would like honest opinions on what you think and no bashing one another for their opinions...Thanks

Old 10-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

OK here is my .02... I love the **** out of my DS. I would not trade it for another bike, but that is because of the terrain I ride.... open desert and dunes. If that was not my main focus I do not think the DS would be my choice. Not to say the DS cannot tear up the trails... there are just better options I think. Now I'm not sure how much open desert you have out there in NJ, but I'm guessing it is not much. You say you do not drag race either, so my choice of ride would be leaning towards a Renegade type sport ute.

Old 10-25-2006, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider

The amount of desert like you guys have is 0 % to my knowledge I love my ds to death also and rebuilt it last winter from a wreck but I have a 450r and a ds and I would rather have an outty to be honest with you since they are fast, I can jump even though they are heavy, mudding,and pretty much an all around great machine I would go with the renegade but are going to be hard to get for a little while and I will prob go mudding alot and will need the racks...Now if I had more open area to let the ds rev out then I would prob want to keep her but I really only have trails.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just got back from Chatsworth ATV and I rented the Outty. It is great. And at only $50.00 a day. You can't go wrong. Before you buy one why not try it out for yourself. It's the best $50.00 I've ever spent. www.quadrental.biz

Old 10-25-2006, 06:34 PM
Pro Rider

I have both, the DS and the Outtie, I only find myself riding the DS when I have to. Two weekends ago I took a couple of lady friends riding, NO way I was letting them ride the DS, one of them had only ridden with me a few other times. They rode the Outlander and Rincon while I rode the DS. Lots of big rocks, river bottom etc. and I get tore up on the DS out there, the Outtie doesn't faze me a bit. I hadn't ridden the DS in so long I was actually a bit sore afterwards.

IMO, get a new Outlander, you won't regret it. Have you ever owned one before? I had a 330 for two years and was salivating when the 800 came out.

Old 10-25-2006, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Is always changing bikes.

ive got both and i have had 2 raptors in the past that i trail rode. i have to say that in the trail riding aspect i wouldnt trade it for the 2 raptors and the ds. as far as if a guy were gonna buy a renagade and put racks on it why not just buy and 800 outty? first off its gonna be cheaper...as the renegade is gonna be $9,299 msrp.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider
I ride a little here and there......

There is no way in the world i could get any type of 4by4 no matter how fast it is. I ride all open...roads,fields, dunes, ditches etc no tight technical stuff for me. Cant jump an outlander 10 feet high without dying...cant stunt with it...doesnt handle as good as a ds or any sport quad....but since u have a 450r and do not do much open riding....a 4by4 would be better on trails...some trails.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:30 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks again raidermike I know I had asked you before about this question but I have only owned a 250 ozark which comes nowhere even close to the 800 ute wise...I would want the outty over the renagde for my purposes and wouldn't want to spend my money on another quad unless I was going to spend it right and thats on the outty 800 I just can't seem to grasp seeing me get rid of my ds but if the outty will suite my purpose better well then it will have to go as I already have 2 quads just for me to ride and won't need 3. Thanks for the input sofar.

Old 10-25-2006, 07:57 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

I have both. My Outie 800 is stock. My DS is a 720 bigbore with just about all the bells and whistles including NOS. I am in the process of selling the DS. It breaks my heart cause in the dunes, there is nothing that comes close to being the perfect dune bike for a large man. I just went through my second cardiac bypass surgery and I am not going to be able to do the hillshooting and bowl ripping like I used to. The Outie does a very good job in the dunes and is awsome on the trails that I ride more often, so it is my choice for now. Hope that helps.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Set a New OEM chassis 4 stroke national record on his OMW DS855 - 3.93 !

OK, heres my honest opinion. Keep the DS...................................AND buy the Outlander. If you have to make choice between one, as much as it hurts me to say this, buy the Outlander.....OH...OUCH, OUCH, OUCH[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]. Im a die hard DS guy but the Outlander is just plain awsome. The ride is so very smooth and it handles like a DS evan at high speeds. And a stock Outlander is a little bit faster than a stock DS[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]. The DS is ofcourse is way better for jumping, I launched our Outlander once and decided that once was enough.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Need honest opinion either get an outty or keep ds