CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

so who is building what ???

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 12:19 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default so who is building what ???

so how many of you guys are currently doing a street bike conversion? what motor are you using??? how many of you are seriously considering doing a conversion and what are you thinking about doing?? let me know

Old 01-30-2007, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am seriously thinking about having a busa put into one of my Ds's. Still am trying to figure out the money end of it. Told ya I am a slow poke at making decisions, lol!

Old 01-30-2007, 02:22 AM
Pro Rider

just wait till this summer jed.ill let you try my new bike and then see if you still want to do a ds. the ds is one of the best oems to use imo....but i think i have something in the works that would suite the hill shooter in you better.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:03 AM
Pro Rider

well i want to install a 06 gsxr600 in my ds650 but have no fab skillz.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-30-2007, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it

I am going to do a conversion. I am wanting to do the busa but might end up going with the R-1 or GSXR 1000 because of the money involved with the initial busa motor purchase. But after seeing what the bikes go for that do not have the busa motor I might just hold out and purchase a busa motor also the torque # sound good. Rite now I am selling my go fast goodies off of my blown up DS motor to help fund my project and am going to get rid of one of my boats and then I will be good to go. I am a very good metal fabricator I have been working with metal since High School ( 22 years ago ) I am not woried about anything except the tank and that is becouse I do not have a tig welder. Supersonic if you ever decide to build a few tanks let me know I might want one for my garage[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Rite now I am chomping at the bit to get mine going I have the bike completely stripped down but can't really do anything until I get my motor so I can start measuring and cutting and rebuilding. Just can't wait to take it for a spin I am going to make mine a show and go bike I want it to look hot and run even better.
Good luck to all of you guys who are doing the conversions maybe one day next year we can all hook up for a trip.

Old 01-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by: derbyking
just wait till this summer jed.ill let you try my new bike and then see if you still want to do a ds. the ds is one of the best oems to use imo....but i think i have something in the works that would suite the hill shooter in you better.
What you got going Derby? Is it the Kawi motor still? Man you know, I love to race. I race everything I got some way or another. But last year having my bike only be able to race and do nothing else, got a little old. So the way I am thinking right now is, with all these folks starting to do conversions, and the conversions they are doing are alot better than they used to be, it will lead to some good racing between us, and still be able to line up with some of the faster regular bikes out there. BUT, the big advantage with the conversion, I can cruise through the dunes all day long, and enjoy them again. There is nothing more comfy than a good old Ds for that my man.......unless you got something else I aint never seen.....?lol It wouldnt surprise me, lol!

Just think, if all this goes down, next memorial there will be a handful of conversions to race.......

Old 01-30-2007, 10:43 AM
Pro Rider

SUPER,
MY FIRST BUILD IS STARTED ALREADY A 2001 DS WITH A 02 GSXR 1000 MOTOR RIGHT NOW I GOT THE FRAME STRIPPED FABBED AND READY FOR POWDER COAT. MY UNCLE DOES CUSTOM DRAG BIKE FAB AND MY DAD DOES POWDER COATING CUSTOM PAINT AND APOLSTRY MIGHT NEED TO GET IN TOUCH WITH YOU ON A FEW THINGS BUT I THINK IT GOING TO TURN OUT PRETTY GOOD. IT IS DEFINATLY NOT A SLAP TOGETHER. ILL SEND SOME PICS ON MY PAGE PRETTY SOON.

MIKE

Old 01-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Pro Rider

Thats great news mike!!! Will you have it ready by Monkey Butt in May???? Tell your uncle, Randy has a little surprise in store for him with that KX65 this year!!! LOL

get it done,

Gary

Old 01-30-2007, 12:01 PM
amd
Pro Rider

I think a conversion with the new zx-14 motor would be awesome. I am not really all into the conversions. I do believe that supersonictoys stuff is the best stuff I have seen. I will tell ya though that I would for sure rather spend the money on doing a conversion then spending the $10,000 plus on doing a big single, like a 800, 830, etc. But for my budget I am perfectly happy with doing a 65 + hp stock bore and still be able to dune it if I want. Maybe one day when I win the lottery I will build a streetbike conversion, but untill that day happens I am content on what I have.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Trailblazer

I am working on gathering everything to do an R1 build. I am going to put it in a purpose built chromolly chassis that is built around the motor. It will have more front end extension so I don't have to run such a long swing-arm. That will allow me to keep the weight more centered and the whole setup will be more balanced. I am also working to make it no less than 10 inches of suspension travel with high end shocks for duning.

I am designing everything with the goal of no more than 350 lbs wet.......and that is with a 4.0 gallon tank.

I plan to put Fullbore Raptor plastics on it and I will shave them. The frame will be matte black and the plastics will be Bright red. I am going to make the A-arms and Swing-arm a gunmetal silver.

It will have front brakes and be completely dunable. I am speculating that completion will be spring of 2008.

Good thread!

Ron Iverson

Quick Reply: so who is building what ???