CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Should I Buy a Renegade 800 ATV !!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I Buy a Renegade 800 ATV !!

Hello,

I'm trying to make a hard decision. I really to to purchase a new 4-wheeler and I'm not sure what to purchase. I currently have a 500 Scrambler. I love the machine and added a new clutch kit, air filter and exhaust to make it even more fun. I really don't want to get one of those big heavy machines that most of my friends have gone to. Most of them are up to the 700 or 800 sportsman. But, I want to lead the pack. I'm getting tired of them being able to pass me. I still like to be able to move my machine around on the trails(lighter) and still have 4wd when I need it. I have been hearing a lot about the 800 renegade and was wondering what people could tell me about it.

How fast does it go
Does it have good torque. Can I get it up on two wheels?
how is the relibilty of Can Am?
Any dislikes about it?

I appreciate any info you can give me. It really looks like a awesome machine on paper.

Puddy

Old 01-31-2007, 02:49 PM
Range Rover

no comment [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 01-31-2007, 09:43 PM
Pro Rider

The renegade has the same engine as the 800 Outy, the rotax, weighs about 50 lbs less, (120 lbs less than the Outy with the XT pkg), much better suspension than the Outys. Wheelie, the bigger Outys will all wheelie, so you know the renegade will. I don't have one, but the guys that are bringing them home can't say enough good about them.

BTW, any big Outy will take any sportsman, so better know the trail good, cause you'll always be out front.

Have you had a chance to ride one? Not quite as comfy as an Outy I hear, but that's to be expected with the better suspension. Even the std Outy will really get your attention the first time you hit it. So will the 800XT for that matter. The Outy 650 will keep you out in front also.

Top speed, high 70's.
Dislikes, you'll be wearing a lot of mud if you go into it. Outy much better for that.

Edit: Reliability, I have 2500 miles on mine, no probs, not one. Renegade, too early to tell, but it's basically a smaller 800 Outy, so should be ok. Will need skid plates though.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

If you have the cash why not. And I think all of your questions are answered in this video Renegade

Old 02-01-2007, 01:13 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the info. I haven't even seen one of these in person yet. I've just seen some video on the internet. It looks awesome. I need to find someplace around here that has one. My scrambler rides pretty nice, even with my 245#'s on it. I just need more power to keep up with all the other guys buying the 700 or 800's. Thanks for you info again.

Puddy

Old 02-01-2007, 01:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Wow, That video really makes me want to take a ride on one of them. I think that machine would help me stay out front. I really like my scrambler, but I need more power. Now I just need to find someone that has one close by. GO HAWKS!!

Puddy

Old 02-01-2007, 02:28 AM
Pro Rider

Good luck with riding one, I have not seen one in Iowa yet, and the dealer I got my DS from would not allow test drives. You have to buy it then they will let you ride it around the dealership and if you don't like it they tear up all the paperwork. Too much work just to ride it.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:45 AM
Pro Rider

If you like your Scrambler, you will LOVE the Renegade.

I rode it around in the dunes and it went very well!!!

Old 02-01-2007, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

Puddy, you asked about reliability on the Renegade. Let's face it, the Renegade is an Outy 800 with some weight taken out, better suspension, and different plastic.

This is a post from a guy in England who rides around his building sites with street tires, license plate, etc. on his 800 Outy. He's had it one year, 12,000+ miles. Figures to have 24,000 miles this time next year. Here is is post on maintenance:

"new belt and cvt clean up at about 11000 mile

new front exhaust shield [cracked]

brake light switch

rear short springs on front

4 oil changes

2 diff oil changes 3 gear oil changes

rear valve cover and gasket

valves checked today all ok

4 rear light bulbs

185/70 car tyres half worn now

brake pads untouched

2 new plugs today as its nearly its birthday

grease every month

road miles are easier on bike with car tyres as no rolling resistance and not much mud and dust to get everywhere

not to many heat problems as the air is moving through the rad quickley

my 400 max has 14500 mile on it but now semi retired for the wife"

Road miles or not, the engine, cvt, electronics, diffs, gear box, stress reps on all moving parts (read metal fatigue), are still present.

There's also a rider in Idaho who has well over 6,000 hard trail miles on his Outy 800, just ordinary maintenance.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

I rode one Saturday. Very impressed. I have owned YFZ 450's, Raptor, Banshees, and much more but I have never been "WOWED" any better than the Renegade.
I thought it over for two days and then called the dealer and bought it.

Quick Reply: Should I Buy a Renegade 800 ATV !!