CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.
View Poll Results: whats your favorite of the 7 riding areas listed?
dumont
0%
glamis
0%
sm nevada
0%
sm utah
0%
oregon
0%
saint anthonys
0%
pismo
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Supersonictoys dune rating guide

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supersonictoys dune rating guide

how bored am I today?? bored enough to write a novel on my opinion of dune riding areas on the west coast .... hope you enjoy it ... or at least it wastes some of your time like it did mine....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I mainly did this for Dstroyer because he was curious about riding out west. and no Gary , I havent gotten religion or anything. our opinions may differ on some things but I need friends more than I do enemies

Supersonic toys top 7 most aggressive riding areas.
1. Glamis
2. saint anthonys
3. dumont
4. sm utah
5. oregon
6. sm nevada
7. pismo

supersonictoys "favorite" riding areas List
and why I like them. keep in mind I grade the whole experience not just the riding . IMO camping conditions , race hill, dune quality and the over all feel of the place are all important factors in deciding which was my number 1. most results were guaged on big weekends when these areas were busy.

1. dumont. huge camping area which is never packed and everyone can sleep at night, decent race hill, awsome duning with some of the best giant bowls and nice smooth extra large large rolling dunes with next to no rocks. its hard to have a bad time at dumont. its my idea of the ideal riding area. wish I was there right now***** 5 stars

2. sm nevada. the absolute best race hill! a very fun bowl like nowhere else, fairly small camping area, on holiday weekends it fills to capacity, relatively small riding area with small to medium dunes but the hill itself is a several mile long curving giant and there are some very fun ways to ride the place if you know what you are doing and hours can be spent just runnning around on the sides of the hill playing follow the leader with large groups of serious riders. sleeping can be bad or good depending on where you park and who parks next to you[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] if you like to hill race this is the place you should be.
**** four stars

3. glamis. outrageous.. its so huge with such giant dunes that most are overwelmed the first time they go. its so large that its easy to get lost and also easy to run out of fuel. there is always something to do or somewhere to go even when you are tired too, the bar , the store , the giant vendor area the Pizza place!the camping area is huge . miles long but also unfortunately PACKED beyond belief. most of the riders in that area come from los angeles and they dont care who they **** off . camping is always a nightmare and the dust has to be seen to be believed. every eavening you cant see 100 feet and there is no way to get away from it. its an ongoing party all night long everywhere you go with drunk people riding through your camp at 50mph 5 times a day. camping is generally a nighmare but the duning almost makes up for it. the race hill is very wide and a cool place to hang out and watch as there is always 40 or so bikes going up the hill at any time. the crowd at the hill can be over 5000 people. you can sit and watch for hours. the hill itself is extremely whooped at the buttom with giant suspension bottoming rollers that every day put numerous people over the bars. although glamis is outrageous it isnt for everyone but for a once a year trip its always a blast. **** four stars

4. saint anthonys. saint anthonys has some very nice riding with big fun dunes and lots of round topped rollers and several really tall hills , the weather is generally awsome and camping is decent if you know which camp ground to stay in. the best riding is a LONG way from the sand hills resort where we generally stay and you end up using most of your fuel just getting to the fun riding area with the largest hills. there isnt really a race hill as I know it as no one ever seems to gather at any one place. crowds are generally very mild and sleep has never been a problem and its just real nice dune riding. after a couple days I had riden just about everything there and there wasnt anything else to do. a race hill would make the trip more fun but it was still a good time.***1/2 3 &1/2 stars

5. 0regon. who doesnt like the beach? the area is beautiful. lots of trees and a large area to ride with mostly small to medium sized dunes . the weather is generally very mild and most of the time you had better bring a coat because it can get cool. rain is very common . although the camping space is there most of it is generally booked up way in advance and expensive. the salty air will also imediately start on all your machines as well and STAY OUT OF THE WATER! there are speed limits on the beach and they are inforced. lots of tickets are given out for speeding, noisy pipes. kids have to attend classes I believe before they can ride the dunes? its very regulated. the actual dune riding is more like trail riding with lots of fun sandy trails twisting through the trees. what they call a race hill leaves much to be desired . if you enjoy the beach and the camping aspect of the trip alot you may find oregon to be quite a nice place. if you are used to giant dunes like glamis or dumont you will most likely find yourself wandering around all day muttering the words,"wheres the big stuff? " with the beach and the nice cool weather its a nice place for a once a year summer trip in my opinion. ***1/2 stars

6 . sm utah . I have only been to utah once and had an ok time but there are many places I would rather ride. utahs camping area was fairly good sized and I was surprised to find running water available . the crowd although Im told was good sized never got to be bothersome and sleeping wasnt a problem. the race hill was long! but it became narrow at the top with a long sweeping curve at the top . there were also scattered rocks at the bottom of the hill that were pretty much unavoidable. alot of the duning was hills that were nice and rounded on one side and knife edged at the top then very steep on the other side with an abrupt slam at the bottom. this wasnt fun riding in my opinion. I didnt ride the whole place and mainly duned behind the mountain but thats what about 90% of the riding we did seemed to be like. there was always a fun time to be had at the hill with a moderate crowd .*** 3 stars

7. Pismo. again , who doesnt love the beach? unless you are burried up to your axels in it with waves crashing into the side of your camper .... the duning at pismo is all wind blown from the beach and the small dunes that do exist are all rounded on one side and drop offs on the other. there ae no hills worth mentioning and no race hill at all . a very small pathetic riding area that is totally regulated. I guess its better than nothing at all but not by much , you had better like walks on the beach ! ** 2 stars

Old 06-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider
My Bomb Busa is done now and WOW what a rush this thing is scary fast. I love it

SST you should go to Flagstaff AZ and go to the cinders it is a whole differant experiance you are racing up cinder mountains and on Chicken mountain the last couple hundred yards you are going up a peak and diceing thrue trees it is like climbing mountains not dunes they are 10 times as big as the hills in Glamis and probably twice as steep It is definantly something everybody with a quad should at least try once just for the experiance. the biggest day there is Memorial weekend.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider
I'm a Plumbing contractor and I have some old friends that always called me Pipelayer for some reason?

Good job SST. Man you must have alot if time on your hands my friend.It must be time for a new project?

Old 06-07-2007, 06:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Amen physcho the rest are just speed bumps.But dust oh man oh man.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider

That is great for one mans opinion. I personally don't agree but it is good to have many different opinions. And that is a pretty good wright up.

Thanks for sharing yours.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2007, 02:56 PM
TPR
The Champ

I'd throw in Gordon's Well in there as Glamis is it's own animal. Gordons has a large camp area that, like Glamis, if there is not a nice breeze, can be dusty though it settles at night.

Since it's part of the same dune system, the riding are is again, HUGE!!! Large bowls that can, if you have a good leader be linked for back to back to back transisitions with each bowl creating it's own challenges.

The hill area is good sized, can be seen by passersby on the freeway (must be a site for those not familiar with the dune culture) and doesn't have a curfew. There is also Patton Valley hill to the north....smaller hill but still a cool place to gather or make a stopping point on a long ride.

You also can't miss the sand drags that takes place every late afternoon on the sand highway next to the camping area.

You can access Glamis and Buttercup dune areas from here as well, and there is a store and restraunt available as well.

Crowding on weekends is typical, however unlike Glamis and Buttercup, you can actually have your camp be more than 5 feet from the next one so you can have a bit more privacy there.

TPR

Old 06-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

Well so Far I have been to Glamis, Dumont and Sand MT. Nevada and I still much prefer the Oregon dunes. After 20 + years of riding them, there still my favorite of all the places I have been. I need to get to Saint Anthony's next.

SST, when you rode Oregon did you get a chance to ride Winchester bay? Dumont reminded me of Winchester with out the Tree shots and sea air I so love.

Old 06-09-2007, 09:19 PM
Pro Rider

WOW, thanks for all the info Gregg. Very well written write up!!! Im trying to put together a ride for this summer to Idaho.

Gary
p.s. I was never your enemy!!!

Old 06-09-2007, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Started riding ATVs in 1974!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice post SST,
We used to go to Pismo several times a year, we would get there a day early for holiday weekends and then ride to Sand Station (or was it Sand Store?) and watch all the rigs come in. The last time I was there the ATC200X had just come out and man did I want one. I have not been back since they closed off Devils Slide and blocked getting to the store it did not appeal to me anymore.

We went to Glamis last year for the week before Thanksgiving. We got there Sunday and left Friday after Thanksgiving. I will not go there again on a Holiday weekend. The dust was terrible the last few days as the crowds built up. But it is huge and a lot of fun, I'm glad we went, but not sure we will be going back.

Sand Mt. Nevada is my favorite. I know its small, but we go on off weekends and the riding for the kids is just awesome. And a trip around the whole Mt. playing on all the hills, the big bowl and some hill shooting will have me on reserve, so I got a IMS tank.

I like Oregon a lot also. My family likes camping there the best. The only problem for us is Dune access. And I still need someone to lead me around. The people I have meet up there are all top notch. Duneittilludie even came and got my quad for me from camp the last time I was there as I did not get a camp site with dune access.

Later this year we are going to St. Anthony's. I'm really looking forward to Choke Cherry and checking it all out.

We may try Dunmont for Thanksgiving this year.

Scott

Old 06-10-2007, 11:03 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
I'm Short and Very Ugly.....

I've been to Glamis, Pismo, Dumont and "The Oregon Dunes"

I like them all because Sand Riding is the BEST.............. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

I do have to say that the Oregon dunes have to be my favorite though. Nothing like sitting at the bottom of an treeshot (In the deep dark forrest) and looking up to see the light at the end of the tunnel (the only way out) LOL [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

BUT the big bowls at glamis are a Kick in the pants also [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Supersonictoys dune rating guide