CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Mud Lites vs. Mud Lite XTR's

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 01:45 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mud Lites vs. Mud Lite XTR's

I'm looking to get new tires for my '07 Outlander 800 XT. Probably 27's. I haven't been impressed very much by the stock Carlile AT's. I have Mud Lites on my '02 Sportsman 400, and as it stands, the Polaris will go thru more mud than the Outlander. Sad but true. Just curious if anyone has or has seen the XTR's in action, and if they are worth the extra money. Thanks for any input guys.

Old 07-12-2007, 06:59 AM
Pro Rider

I've had both the xl's and xtr's. The XTR's are hands down smoother than the xl's and are definetly worth the extra money, especially on hard surfaces. I run them on my 800 Max. I just have the 26" on ITP C4's.
Just a suggestion, unless you need the extra 1/2" ground clearance, I would just stick with the 26" which still rob some power from the machine. Not much difference but noticeable. Also the 26" will be less stress on the drive train.

Old 07-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Trailblazer

Get the xtrs i have had both the 26in mudlite xls and 26in xtrs on my outty 400 and the xtrs ride alot smoother goes alot better in the mud. They do weigh alot but my outty 400 turns the 26in easily. my cosuin has 27in xtrs on his outty 650 and it didnt loose much power at all still wheelies easily so i know the 800 wouldnt loose much power.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Got 27" XTR's on 14" SS106 & love em, but I now get slight shimmy at high speeds on hard top. Need to get the fronts balanced. No power loss noticed. Goes thru anything.

Old 07-14-2007, 01:53 AM
Pro Rider

I love my XTR's! Been a good tire so far. My friends that run the XL's have had the thread wear-down a lot faster than my trend has.

Old 07-14-2007, 02:46 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Folger

I'm looking to get new tires for my '07 Outlander 800 XT. Probably 27's. I haven't been impressed very much by the stock Carlile AT's. I have Mud Lites on my '02 Sportsman 400, and as it stands, the Polaris will go thru more mud than the Outlander. Sad but true. Just curious if anyone has or has seen the XTR's in action, and if they are worth the extra money. Thanks for any input guys.</end quote></div>

My opinion - In the ITP line, if they are NOT XTR then you are pretty much wasting your money and can do better with a different brand.
Some food for thought, don't measure a tire based solely on it's ability to work well in mud. Base your decision to get a tire on what you do the most. If you only do mud 5% of the time then you are missing 95% of your pleasure getting a tire more geared toward mud.
Trail tires stink in mud, Mud tires stink on the trail. There are some tires available that are a good happy medium that do best on trails but also are mud worthy.
Everything is a trade off and unless you absolutely need the extra 1/2 - 1 inch of clearance then 26-27 inch tires rob you of many advantages for the sole purpose of that tiny 1/2 to 1 inch of GC. You loose out on acceleration, top speed, HANDLING there is extra strain placed on your entire drive system to include engine, transmission, differentials, CV joints, axles. Once you go bigger then you never have the LOW-LOW again, and are always in a taller gear. Like trying to drag race a car but starting off in second gear instead of 1st. And no matter what you do you will always be off on gearing. When your engine's sweet spot is around 5000 rpm you will only be turning 3500-4000, thus loosing the potential HP and torque to the wheels. Plus the 26 and 27 inch tires cost a lot more - is what you loose worth it? A cheaper and better approach is to stay with stock size tires and put a lift of some sort - keeping the gearing and handling. One thought is Highlifter springs, they claim 1/2 to 1 inch GC. I have them on the back of my machine and didn't get any lift but I got them for a different reason, my reason was more toward handling than lift. I already have 13.5 inches of GC with 25 inch tires, so GC was not a concern.
You have to decide for yourself, is what you loose and what you pay to loose, all worth the 1/2 to 1 inch of GC. Well - you would at least look mean and brutal and like "Big-Foot", for me I certainly would not want to be all show and no go. But it is all up to you and my reply on this post is only for things for you to think about.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:52 PM
Pro Rider
Runs a Full 730 Race Build!

All good points except for the top speed, you actually gain a few mph due to the overall taller gearing, and the acceleration statement was true to a point, a clutch kit will bring back most of your acceleration while at the same time getting you back to your desired rpm range but will also negate the higher top speed you would have with taller tires/stock clutching. Your speedo will read a lower speed due the reduced rpm of the tires giving the speedo a false slower reading. As was said previously it's hard to have it all but just be honest with yourself about what you want from the larger tires & you'll make the right decision. Me, I went with 27" XTR's on my King Quad and have zero buyers remorse, I installed a clutch kit and life is good, I figue if my meager little 700 can turn them, y'all with the Outtys won't have a problem.

Old 07-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

Good points to bring out. You would go faster at the top end providing the engine can turn the full rpm and hit the limiter with the taller tires (some can't), Yes, investing more money for a clutch kit will help.

My post was put up as a food for thought. Is the 1/2 or 1 inch of GC worth the big bucks, and loss of handling characteristics. As a 25" lower profile tire will always handle better that taller profile tires. (Cars - 50 vs 60 vs 70 series tires)... Personally I would give up 1/2 inch of clearance to be able to zip around on trails with a positive handling machine rather than have to struggle with ill handling, in lew of that special situation where 1/2 inch of GC would make a difference. (Maybe once a year situation).

It is all personal choices if a person is willing to give up one thing for something else. And how many times will what they are gaining be of use as apposed to what they are loosing.