CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS 650 blown motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2001 | 03:51 PM
|
Range Rover

I guess we are going to see if Bombardier will step up to the plate and stand behind there quad. Seems like even thought "adequate oil was in the motor" the motor is fried. The dealer wants $3000 to fix it, which I think is crazy. Does anyone have an idea how much a a rebuild should cost? This bike is the same one talked about in the Ds 650 dead thread. It only has about 20 hrs. on it

Old 01-11-2001 | 11:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Is the 6 month warranty expired? Had the valves been recently adjusted? If so, and the cam bridge was overtorqued, this could cause the cams to not rotate freely, burning up the motor? I had to order a small torque wrench in in-lbs to do that job right.

Old 01-12-2001 | 11:20 AM
|
Range Rover

It is out of warrenty by two months. This bike has never had anything done to it. It ran fine, then all of a sudden started dying and would not run. The motor never locked up. I think the oil pump went out, but the dealer did not even check them before tearing the engine down. They said they just assumed they were bad to. I don't know what to think.

Old 01-12-2001 | 04:27 PM
Range Rover

I guess this will be a true test of how much Bombardier will back up their products. Funny, the other day I was on their web site and I was reading about their quality and commitment to making good quality products at the lowest price possible. Awesome88250r, I recommend that you check that policy out and then throw it into their face when you have to play dirty. Bombardier is such a huge company, then can afford to replace the engine as a "good will deed". Granted your bike is 2 months out of warranty, you only put 20hrs on it. Did you or the dealer do the 10hr inspection after break in? If your dealer did, then that means your dealer should have some fault in it because they are supposed to check everything, I believe it is a 3hr process. If anything, my 2cents is in on that subject and maybe something for you to think about. Good Luck.

Old 01-12-2001 | 11:06 PM
Trailblazer

i wouldn't count on bomb junk to stand behind it.they don't know the meaning of customer goodwill or customer satisfaction.as far as i am concern they are just a big company out to make money.they are only looking out for themselves.

Old 01-13-2001 | 12:40 AM
|
Range Rover

I hope that is not the case. This is the only none Honda product I've ever bought, and it really makes me appreciate Honda's reliabilitly. We've have a TRX300 that is an 88 model and it refuses to break down. It has never been close to the shop and it has at least 4000 hrs. on it. I've also owned a 300EX, 400EX, and 250R and never had a problem. I will think twice before I buy another Bomb high performance quad. If they stand behind the DS, then I'll see if I buy another.

Old 01-16-2001 | 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

I had some problems with my 2000 DS and Bombardier gave me a free extended warranty.They have treated me like gold and I couldnt be happier.Luckily I have never needed the extra extended factory warranty.
Bearman

Old 01-16-2001 | 10:07 AM
Range Rover

hey bearman, what problems did you have ? How did you get Bombardier to extend the factory warranty? I am still boggled by mine bogging out in the snow and I can't figure it out. The only conclusion I can come to is something in the carb.

Old 01-17-2001 | 01:12 AM
Pro Rider

I`ve owned many ski-doo snowmobiles(same company) I dont think you should have a problem. It mainly depends on the dealer tho.

Old 01-17-2001 | 02:07 AM
Pro Rider

When I first picked up my DS it had a strange problem,it would back fire at the oddest times and blow the carb out of the rubber boot.I had to take it back to the dealer several times before they richend up the carb and found an intake valve adjusted to tight.After the second trip to the dealer I phoned Bombardier customer relations and opend up a case with them.Bombardier treated me great,followed up with phone calls to my dealer and to me until we were sure the problem was solved.I explained my concerns to customer relations that since my quad was almost out of warranty the problem could possibly come back and I would be out of luck.I made it clear that I wasnt looking for any type of a cash settlement just an extension on my factory warranty. They offerd me 4 months but managed to talk them into 6 months.One word of advice, be nice and dont make demands just explain youre situation and that youre happy wiyh the DS overall you just need some help with this issue.Hope this helps
Bearman

Quick Reply: DS 650 blown motor