CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Why do ds650's have no resale

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do ds650's have no resale

Well, now that I have learned nuff about quads to just start being dangerous, I personally would steer a little clear of 'Built' bikes. and lean more toward a stocker. The reason why? well, you know, if you put that 13:1 piston, and big bore kit, longer swinger and wheelie bar, you probably have *used* them. You have upgraded the clutch springs because you were throwing more power to the clutch than it was designed to take. Come awn, you know you did! See, I see you smirking there!

A clean stocker has more value to me than a totally modded unit, simply because it most likely, not always, but most likely has lived an easier life, and has more life left in it.

Just my .02

My name is John, and yes, I tend to mod and use the crap out of my stuff.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

That is not always true its the build you choose. ill bet a stage three ron woods will last just as long as a stocker.Read my signature all of my bikes exceed 74 hp and all are three years old on the same builds.The turbo needs clutches all the time but running only 7lbs of boost she hits 112 hp and at ten lbs you'll want to setdown for this one 136 hp and has hit even more then that a time or two on the dyno.but as facts would have it she has only blown two clutches i just put a new clutch in her everytime she runs now to be safe.The ds is a BRICK **** HOUSE it can and mine will take a beating.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:37 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

You may get a little more out of a built bike, but the general rule is the money you put in isn't gonna come back on the resale.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:43 PM
Trailblazer

AZ, maybe yours will take a beating, but if you were new to the DS, and you came along yourself and was looking to buy a bike, would you buy one of yours, especially if you told yourself that you change the clutch every time out? I am talking about average Joe rider here, not someone that is building race bikes.

I will bet you spend a smudgepot amount of time cleaning, maintaining and loving your bikes, but many of us out here want a sweet ride that we can pretty much ride, wash and put away. That is what I want out of my bike.

Face it, you probably have more into each bikes in the build than OP is looking to spend on the whole bike. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Cheers
John

Old 09-17-2008, 04:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

Yes but i do have a lot in the monorail but the other two i do abuse to the limit one is a pami stage three and the other is a TVI 800 and i swear id do not maintain them like i should the are play bikes.And see 100 mile round trips on a consistent basis.But i do understand what your saying when i first got my cherrie poped in 2000 my heart sang like a bird with just a completly stock yellow ds. but then i got my first ron woods kit and life has not been the same. OR AS CHEAP[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 09-17-2008, 05:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Actually on my husbands build he has upgraded clutch but new stock clutch springs with out a problem at all.

And if I planned on getting everything I put in out of the DS it would be for sale for a heck of a lot more than it is. LOL

Also it is a fairly new build only one full season on it so I would say it hasn't even been close to used up. And it is still a stock bore with only 12.1 piston in it. So if you choose you could still run 91 or 93 octane in it.

Also the engine we bought had very little use out of it when we bought it. So the engine alone does not have many hrs on it.

I'm not trying to sell mine to this person unless he wants it I am just saying if it is the right build and hasn't been beat up on it is worth the little higher price tag to me.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:49 PM
Trailblazer

One area that I am totally wrong in my opinion, is that if you plan on doing the mods already, buy one that is built with the same basic build as you have in mind. I know from my rock crawling days, it is a lot more expensive to build from scratch than to buy one already done.

John

Old 09-17-2008, 11:55 PM
Range Rover

When I buy used I always try and find machine that is all original with the least amount of hours. Just like a car, get one with 40K miles and not 140K..much more life left in the machine and won't nickle and dime you. And with modified machines usually when it has all those modifications it means someone did it to ride it hard, so just be careful and don't get stuck with someone else's problem.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:12 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The only reason we started our build is because we had to change shift forks in Seth's bike. It started out like that then we found out after we bought all the other parts and got the head work done that one of the side cases was broke inside.

So we ended up buying a new motor cause we weren't sure what other damage that could have done.

We had already bought and did all the work so we just installed it on the new low hr. newer motor. We already had all the stuff so why not put it on while we were there.

So you can't always judge a book by the cover.

That is the only point I am trying to get at.

I do understand were everyone is coming from but just want to let everyone know that not everything is done for that reason.

And I have seen some real wore out stock machines. Real wore out.

Old 09-18-2008, 06:12 PM
Trailblazer

I know some of you thought that '06 DS650 is over priced at $3995 and you wouldn't pay no more than $2000 or something, but I checked NADA on it and the guy has it priced right. Just shows that they have more value than some of you think. I didn't check on it to prove anyone wrong. I checked because I remembered some of you talking about low prices of DS's and so I figured I'd check the price on this one. Turns out he's right on the money. Low retail, though, goes for $3510 so I think I'd offer him $3500 for it. All in all, I think its a fair price for something only 2 years old and with the rotax in it. Thats one of the main reasons I love Bombardier/Can-am is because they have that Rotax.

Quick Reply: Why do ds650's have no resale