CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Why do ds650's have no resale

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why do ds650's have no resale

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: albacore44

Your Welcome</end quote></div>

Thank you Sir. It was a pleasurable deal, and I look forward to meeting up out at Glamis or Dumont and putting that 06 DSX through it's paces.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I guess to get back on the subject of DS's not having a resale value, I've seen a couple in my local area going for a little more than what everyone else is saying. I've seen a 2000 going for $2,200, a 2001 going for $2,995, and a 2006 going for $3,995. I thought these were pretty good deals for this particular quad. After everything I read about them, they sounded like high quality machines well worth the money. After riding one, this statement came to be true (to myself anyways.) Then, I got on here and realized there are some really really cheap ones out there. Now, I'm thinking about getting one. Which one of these would you guys go after if you were to get one? I know they're cheaper in other parts of the U.S., but I don't have the money nor the time to be traveling cross country to be going to get one.

Old 09-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider
SilverBomb has got an Addiction!

I would get an 05' or newer if it was me.

Old 09-15-2008, 04:18 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

You say "going for" $2995/$3995. Do you mean that they are advertised for that or do you know that they were actual successful transactions for that amount? I see them "going for" $4000 for 2000 models. Of course they are listed month after month after month for that.
He'll probably chime in later on, but Jimbo5o picked up a sweet *** 2001 on Saturday. Had the Ron Wood Stage II set up consisiting of a RWR CDI, Rotax exhaust, TM45, and whatever else RWR does to them at that point. Purchase price was $1800. Of course it was advertised for $3200 but with a little coaxing it was in the back of the truck for 18. Sometimes folks just don't understand the market for these things right now. A little persuasion goes a long ways in today's economic times.

I've got my three Vipers in various stages and may just snag up another "stock" DS for parts or cruising the desert and not puting alot of wear and tear on the duners. I'd suggest anyone looking for a used DS out there right now to start at $1500 for a baseline, and then depending on condition, mods, etc, working up from there. Personally I wouldn't pay a cent over $2000 for an 06 or older, of course I wouldn't take less than $3500 for any of mine either! But, mine aren't for sale so I guess that's a moot point. Best you can do is make an offer, worst that can happen is they say no. Patience is the key. I've had several sellers call me back up weeks later to accept my offer, but I had already gotten something else. I still see some of those same bikes for sale, now months later. Don't be greedy if you're selling, and be patient if you're buying. Just my .02

Old 09-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Trailblazer

Buy high, sell low, that is my philosophy......

Vic, what is this Viper you speak of??

John

Old 09-15-2008, 06:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I think any year DS personally is a good year. Ours is a 2000 but the motor is a 2003. I know what we have put into ours so I can be patient and get what we want out of it or keep it. Its all good for me.

I understand the market right now and am not in a hurry to sell. That is a luxury we have since we never got in over our heads.

I do understand what everyone is saying about how cheap you can get them. And that is all good. But I also know how this one has been taken care of and how much great quality work has been put into ours.

You have the money to be selective. So test them all out look at them all with a fine tooth comb and if something doesn't sit right with you well than definitely go on to the next one. That is the best suggestion I have for you. I hope it helps. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Military Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: WLD_OTZ
</end quote></div>

In 03 when they dropped the Standard Yellow they went to a Red on Black color scheme. That is called the Viper. They also had the Black with Orange accent Baja version. It lasted through the 04 model year, then for 05 they went to this hideous Red on Red scheme with some fugly azz graphics all over the seat and tank cover. Ruined the looks in my opinion. And that nastiness continued through the 07 DSX model.

Anyway, the three that I have all started out as the Viper version. Some of the OEM fiches that you find online will list a Racer version, this is the same as the Viper. Basically any DS with Red on it.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

hope that 2003 is working well for you Vic. The reason i sold it so cheap is I really just had too many quads in the stable. I have started some of the carburator mods i have read about on my 2006.

Old 09-15-2008, 09:55 PM
Military Rider

It's a good, stable platform Dana. It's getting a Lectron 48, a 720 cylinder/piston, HPR head w/oversize valves, shim under buckets, HPR4 cams, Big Gun CDI, 42t rear sprocket, and a few other trinkets and nicknacks! Gonna be a helluva duner when it's done. I just need to find an IMS black desert tank and an extended swingarm to round it all out.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:13 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Man - I got it down then. I always do that! Hasn't worked out that good for me yet. Maybe I need to buy higher and sell lower ???

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I do agree - Now is the time to offer low and see who takes it. If you really want it. . . get it but, otherwise - offer low and move-on if they don't take it.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: WLD_OTZ

Buy high, sell low, that is my philosophy......

John</end quote></div>

Quick Reply: Why do ds650's have no resale