CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

2009 outy 800r Xt

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 06:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 outy 800r Xt

Im going around to the various dealerships in my area trying to find out which is the best. Im leaning toward the can am but I hear alot of bad stories about them. One thing im worried about is where would the intake for the cvt be located,I herd that it was underneath the front right (I belive) fender. Another issue would be the frame I also herd that its weak. Just let me know what you all think. Thanx

Old 11-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

Good luck on your search for a new quad. The Outlanders are near to being the perfect quad in my opinion. The frames are not weak. They need to be strong to handle the power of the Rotax. They are prone to rock dents if you do a lot of rock crawling so most people put skids on soon after getting the Outie. I am not sure, but I believe the new models come with skids. The CVT intake is located at the top inside of the left front fender. Very similar to the King Quad in height, but lower than the Grizzly. I have ridden mine in water crossings that came to the bottom of the feners with no trouble. Others have said they had trouble in water up to the top of the wheel. I went ahead and did the stealth snorkle to the pod on top. Very simple to do and a search will get you lots of information. My advice is to look at the various quads side by side, do a good test ride and then make up your own mind. All brands can have problems and if you really like the quad you get, it is easier to deal with when something happens. One thing the Outie has gobs of and that is the 'smile' factor. Have fun in your search!

Old 11-12-2008, 08:15 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I am also looking at new bikes fell in love with the Outy 650 as it had plenty of power IMO for my ridng style/enviorment (mountains of Co) I just am very sceptic of the Visco lock system on the Can-am, for rock crawling therfor have decided to go with the Yamaha Grizzly. Knowing that front diff is locked when I tell it too just seems like the way to go vs the machine deciding for me. If I were to be riding in mud or more open areas the Outy would be perfect but as I said I think for Rocky terrain the Grizz is the better machine. Good luck with your choice!

**NOTE** not sure how true it is but one problem I have been reading on the 09 800R's is overheating issues. This might be someting you want to check out before your purchase!

Old 11-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

With respect for the above post, I have both the CanAm and the Grizzly. I have taken the Outie thru 2500 miles of terrain from the big sand dunes to the Paiute trail sytem to 4x4 trails in the Sierra's, Red Rock Canyon and a few I can't think off rightnow. The Visco never left me wondering. As long as you understand how it works, it will take you anywhere you want to go and effortlessly. I have the Grizzly with the diff lock. Most of the time you will not want to lock it because when locked the machine will go where it wants, when it wants. I know this is a hotly debated issue with most of the naysayers lacking in real world experience with the ViscoLok. I can only tell you my experience on very tough trails in the company of Grizzly's, King Quads, Popo's and Vinsons. There has never been an obstacle that others could navigate that I did not go thru just as easily. Like my first post, ride them, talk to owners and make up your own mind.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Perfect info guys thanx alot. The thing that really keeps me going to the outlander is the power and speed. I have a pretty good idea about the grizz's power since I own a raptor 700. Im going to have to test them all out for my self. The reason Im getting rid of my raptor is because Im in to more woods,rocks and other terrain riding. The raptor is great on the trails and woods roads dont get me wrong,I think a utilty quad would suit me alot better. BTW what does your outy and grizz have for a top speed?? Thanx

Old 11-13-2008, 02:33 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

IMHO I think the 800 Outy is overkill! I know how I like to ride a bike and a machine that is as powerfull as the 800 much less the 800R/Polaris 850/AC 1000 I know I would just kill myself. I love to ride fast and that is why I have my Raptor for. If you think that you are going to buy a big bore machine to go fast just remember they might be close to your Raptor or any other sport quad in top speed but 4x4 will never handle like one. There is an old saying that we as a people need to go by and that is " A MAN NEEDS TO KNOW HIS LIMITATIONS" and as my thought process goes just remember bigger is not allways better! I highly reccomend looking at the 650 Outy allong with the 800!

This is another reason I like a great allaround machine (Raptor 700) vs one that does just one thing the best! This might be why the Grizz is the #1 selling 4x4 and the Raptor is the #1 sport quad sold today!

Sorry for rambling but I love the path that Yamaha is on and IMO there is no bad quads made. You just need to find the one that soots you best. I hope you love your Raptor as much as I love mine. Its been the best quad I have ever owned. This is one reason I will buy Yamaha again!

Old 11-13-2008, 11:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

You hit the nail on the head that time. I think I will be buying the grizzly 700. Maybe even try to keep the raptor as well. Thank you again.

Trending Topics

Old 11-13-2008, 12:11 PM
Pro Rider

Best of luck with the Grizz. It is in my opinion the 2 best utility quad avaliable. Sorry thing is, you will never know what you missed. Personally, I think the "too much power" is a bunch of malarky. If that were the case why does everyone modify there quads for more performance. And the only claim to fame the Raptor has is it is the biggest fastest sport quad. Go figure. I think you will be happy with a Grizz, but.....

PS: Someone needs to check the facts before they say the Grizzly and Raptor are the #1 selling quads in each class. Not even close.......Course CanAm isn't either.

Old 11-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Cardiac

Best of luck with the Grizz. It is in my opinion the 2 best utility quad avaliable. Sorry thing is, you will never know what you missed. Personally, I think the "too much power" is a bunch of malarky. If that were the case why does everyone modify there quads for more performance. And the only claim to fame the Raptor has is it is the biggest fastest sport quad. Go figure. I think you will be happy with a Grizz, but.....

PS: Someone needs to check the facts before they say the Grizzly and Raptor are the #1 selling quads in each class. Not even close.......Course CanAm isn't either.</end quote></div>

I did check and just as I tought excuse me if I forgot to say America on the Grizz!
http://www.quadexperts.com/200...ort-quad-shootout.html
http://www.seminolepowersports...sc=ATVs&ModelYear=2009

Old 11-13-2008, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider
Is always changing bikes.

so why buy the grizzly? step down from the 800 outlander to the 650 or even 500 if you are scared of "too much power". i have a 650 with 4,000 miles on it. no major issues at all and i ride the hell out of it! you name it its done it!

Quick Reply: 2009 outy 800r Xt