CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Visco Loc

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009 | 05:10 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.
Default Visco Loc

Whiner
Go to Highlifter or Aurora Wheelers forums and do a search. You will find a wealth of information about that subject.

Old 02-11-2009 | 10:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Visco Loc

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Cardiac

CQ What Can Am did you own? No info in your sig line. </end quote></div>

I don't own one. I borrowed one for a few months while my friend was out of the country. It gave me a chance to evaluate it for my particular riding conditions.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CardiacI just wonder how far a little instruction would go in getting a new rider competent on the Can Am.</end quote></div>

It's not a question of instruction. It's a question of how the visco-lok operates. When you do the type of riding that I do which is slow speed technical riding where you constantly are on and off the throttle as you negotiate obstacles the visco-lok just isn't appropriate. Can I get the can-am down the trails and areas I need to? Yes, but it is much more difficult and in some cases quite sketchy as far as safety goes. To keep the differential locked you must apply more throttle than is suitable for the conditions and you have to maintain more wheel speed than is appropriate or in some cases safe.

This doesn't make the can-am bad or defective. It is just the nature of the beast. It's perfectly fine ATV. I LOVED the engine and the engine braking. Liked the handling for the most part. A decent enough machine but simply isn't suitable for the type of riding I do.

Again I wish either can-am would offer an override switch or the aftermarket would offer some sort of solution to allow for fully locked operation for people who like everything else about the outlander except for the operation of the front differential.

Old 02-13-2009 | 10:44 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Visco Loc

hey cq or anybody ,i just got a 06 400 outty and am not understanding the 4 wheel drive when i was n the nud the front would lock and unlock, then when i got home climbing a bank on a hill W/OUT the switch n 4 wheel the front seemed to spin then switched 2 4 wheel and seem to also???????when it was in 2 wheel one front tire was on ground one off the one off you could not turn by hand hmhmhm.is this how the visco works????? thanks

Old 02-15-2009 | 01:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
GOT BOOST!
Default Visco Loc

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>The older Traxters lock a lot faster and you can use that unit also if you really think you need it. </end quote></div>
This is 100% correct.
I have read a ton about this happening with the Outtie. I thought what the hell, I have the same system in my Traxter and it does not do this.

I even went out and and chained my Traxter to a stump to see what was up. I looked down at the tires and gave it very small amounts of throttle until the tire started to slip. It took between about 1/8 to a 1/4 of a turn before all 4 tires were spinning. It was really hard to see it happend so fast. Nothing like what people reported happening with their Outtie.

I have no idea why bomb designed the Outtie system like this?

Old 03-22-2009 | 09:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Visco Loc

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CaptainQuint

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Cardiac

CQ What Can Am did you own? No info in your sig line. </end quote></div>

I don't own one. I borrowed one for a few months while my friend was out of the country. It gave me a chance to evaluate it for my particular riding conditions.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: CardiacI just wonder how far a little instruction would go in getting a new rider competent on the Can Am.</end quote></div>

It's not a question of instruction. It's a question of how the visco-lok operates. When you do the type of riding that I do which is slow speed technical riding where you constantly are on and off the throttle as you negotiate obstacles the visco-lok just isn't appropriate. Can I get the can-am down the trails and areas I need to? Yes, but it is much more difficult and in some cases quite sketchy as far as safety goes. To keep the differential locked you must apply more throttle than is suitable for the conditions and you have to maintain more wheel speed than is appropriate or in some cases safe.</end quote></div>

actually, it is a question of instruction. solid rear axles handle differently than IRS. 5 speeds have differences from automatics. carbed engines have differences from fuel injection. and yes, the visco-lok has some differences from a limited-slip or full locker. an experienced rider will acknowledge these differences and educate themselves regarding adapting their riding style to take advantage of the improvements. i have very steep, technical climbs that are covered with rocks, ruts and fallen trees that i ride every occasion i get. once you understand the visco-lok, you soon find it to be just as capable as any other 4wd engagement. mine engages quickly, i've never had any problems with a delay. to keep it engaged, you must maintain a little throttle. if conditions require you to slow down, apply the brakes while maintaining minimal throttle - it stays locked.

everyone has their opinion on which manufacturer makes the best atv, that is normal. but to bash another brand when you have little to no experience with it is childish. if you prefer one brand over another, buy it. i've owned a few, currently have a honda, kawasaki and can-am. the renegade is, by far, the best machine i've ever ridden. just my opinion, and that's why i'll continue to buy can-ams.