CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Review of the 2010 Outlander 800R

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2009, 11:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Review of the 2010 Outlander 800R

2010 Can-Am Outlander 800R EFI

Old 11-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Good review. I have the 650 max. I'm in disagreement with the "brakes". On mine...the hand brake is for the front and there is a brake on the right side foot peg that controls the rear. This is when it is in two-wheel drive. I'm not certain...but I think (at least the foot brake) controls front and rear when in 4-wheel. And speaking of 4-wheel...a person would have to be an idiot to not be able to read the "picture" indicator for 4x4 or 2x4 as indicated in the review. A picture of 4 tires..for 2 wheel...only 2 tires are solid...4 wheel...all 4 are solid...Not real difficult to understand. Just my opinion! Otherwise, a very helpful review to anyone shopping around.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

The brake issue is of personal preferance and the author is refering to being a hand lever for both the front set and one for the rear set like the ones foun on a Yamaha Grizzly. I have rode and owned a Polaris unit with a single lever and do prefer the dual setup myself esp when the going gets rough. The Renegade uses a dual setup so why not the outlander as well?????

Old 11-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

I wish I could see the advantage of dual levers. When the going gets tough, you are usually in 4wd and any brake, front or rear controls all four wheels. It is different than sport quads that are just rear wheel drive.The Outlanders single lever porportioning is so spot on, with the front recieving the majority of the braking force, that it is really a non-issue. I ride my wifes Grizzly sometimes when she wants to ride the Outlander and I think the dual levers are awkward and in-effecient. There is no way a person can modulate the brakes as well as a properly designed porportioning valve. With Can Am answering all the past issues with the Outlander/Renegade, what are all the non-owners that like to frequent Can Am forums going to do with their time? LOL. Dream, I guess.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

Nope will be riding or quads rather than lurking on the forums worried if anyone is badmouthing my favorite brand of bike LOL!

Old 11-30-2009, 02:13 PM
Pro Rider
You can take all the "shootouts" and put them in one bucket and you won't have beans.

Lurk: To spend time on brand forums other than the one you have and espouse expert opinion on the faults of that brand. Does that fit anyone you know.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

No esp one who has started the thred afterall you tell me??????

Old 11-30-2009, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

Not a bad review,but I'm sure why they even bothered? They didn't test an XT or LTD...heck they could have just copied and pasted an 09 review. Without the DPS and Visco QE the 2010 is no different than an 09,well except the early 09s still had the larger cap fuel tanks.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:41 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Mopar Man!

I agree tho still good info if you are looking at a Can-Am!

Old 11-30-2009, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

I'll add something about the brakes..I agree with Cardiac the proportioning is fantastic on the Outty..better than the XP was(don't think it proportioned at all..)
BUT I do dislike something about the Outty's brakes...the lever effort required. Maybe I am spoiled coming from a Sportsman XP,but the lever effort required to get the same braking effect out of the Outty is much higher. I think that the issue I have lies with the Outtys brake lever being swept so far forward compared to the XPs. This means that you have to have very large hands to comfortably grip the lever on the outboard end where you get the most leverage. The XPs brakes feel alot more responsive and I really think it is probably as simple as a stinking brake lever..I have intended to find a replacement to suit me but haven't put alot of effort into it yet,you get used to things after a while and they don't seem as bad. At first I though the Outty just had terrible brakes until I figured out you just have to put some M-A-N on them lol.
Bottom line is something so simple can drastically affect how the machine is percieved.
Looks closely at the brake levers...
Name:  photo-30.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  102.7 KB

Quick Reply: Review of the 2010 Outlander 800R