CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Outlander Vs. Polaris xp

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010 | 03:44 PM
DCT
Banned

Originally Posted by Cardiac
I haven't owned the new Polaris, had an older model which was nothing but problems. I frequent a lot of the ATV forums and I have noticed a lot of guys who rushed to buy the 850 XP and have now sold them and went with the Outlander XT-P. Sometimes the real world speaks volumes above the "reviews".
Yep, I had a "newer" model PoPo and had nothing but problems with it. I know some folks have luck with them, but IMHO, too many folks don't. The ratio of good to bad is not what I consider to be acceptable.

Yep again, there are a number of folks who had 850's and have moved on... many to the Outtty. I wish them good luck with their machines.

Old 03-06-2010 | 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Guard1
Here's another post by the same ( 2010 Max Ltd and Renegade X Xc, out tearing it up... ). I found his reviews to be very detailed and unbiased. I certainly agree that a 2up machine is superior to a 1-up. He picked the XP over a regular Outty. But does not own Polaris. Seems un-biased to me.
I guess the idea of a 2up machine being superior to a regular one in "technical" trails depends completely on one's idea of technical terrain. What I would call tough or technical trails are ones that sport quads really have to slow down for or can't even get through, a full size 4x4 ATV barely fits through and anything bigger would be wedged between trees or hung up and high centered due to the longer wheelbase.

These same trails make a Brute Force or Grizzly look like a sport quad compared to the heavier ATVs which really stress the rider who has to muscle a 800+ lb machine through places it can't fit. I honestly couldn't imagine trying to get a longer 2 up machine through the same places.

It's like saying a full size truck is a better trail rig than a Jeep Wrangler.

Old 03-07-2010 | 07:21 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by White347LX
I guess the idea of a 2up machine being superior to a regular one in "technical" trails depends completely on one's idea of technical terrain. What I would call tough or technical trails are ones that sport quads really have to slow down for or can't even get through, a full size 4x4 ATV barely fits through and anything bigger would be wedged between trees or hung up and high centered due to the longer wheelbase.

These same trails make a Brute Force or Grizzly look like a sport quad compared to the heavier ATVs which really stress the rider who has to muscle a 800+ lb machine through places it can't fit. I honestly couldn't imagine trying to get a longer 2 up machine through the same places.

I am not suggesting that a larger 2-up machine will go through very tight trails as easily. I don't ride or ever see trails that I cannot fit ( in fact most SxS's will fit most of our trails ). Sport quads cannot go through the same stuff as a 4x4 ( whether it's a 2-up or a 1-up ). I had a Prairie 650 before my current Max, and I can attest that the stability,ride and comfort on the Max are all better than the 1-up machines. I never have to wrestle my machine , as it makes almost everything easy...all while sitting comfortably in the seat. The 2-up Max is very confidence inspiring. Sure there are times when one has to stand up and lean or what not ( especially when negotiating big bog holes or climbing up some big rocky ridges ). I ride with machine's from Eiger 400 and Honda 400 right up to the 800 Max's...and the Max's go everywhere the smaller ones do, and they do it generally easier and smoother, not to mention faster. After a year of riding my Max and with 2 other 2-ups in our group...I can without doubt say that the only thing I've seen a 1-up do slightly better is make smaller circles in a parking lot. Maybe the Max is not as easy to "whip" around with body language...but I find there is really not much need for it. Point and shoot baby...that's it.

Another area of superiority is the high speed ride and handling. I ride a rough woods road, near my cabin. I can reach speeds on the Max I could not even think about on the Kawi. I simply fly over stuff with the longer wheel base that would have tossed the Kawi around. The ride is smoother and faster, all while feeling more planted.

Old 03-08-2010 | 01:49 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

I've riden an 09 800 Outlander Max and thought is was a nice ride but I have never riden an 850 Polaris 2-up but I have riden a 2010 550 Touring.

My best friend owns an AC 500 and the plastic gets so hot from the exhaust he says had he known that he never would have bought it.

I rode the Outlander in November so heat was not an issue. My friend told me that it gets so hot in warmer weather that it just about melts his skin to the plastic and I don't think I'd care for the exrtra heat in the summer.

Maybe they addressed that issue in 2010.

Old 03-08-2010 | 02:01 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

Originally Posted by White347LX

I'm not a 2-up fan but we're only talking about an 8" length difference, not hardly enough to make a huge difference on the tighter trails.

It's more like comparing a CJ5 to a CJ7, not a Jeep to a full size truck.

On edit; 09 Outlander Max review - http://www.atv.com/manufacturers/can...view-1542.html

Old 03-08-2010 | 03:34 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I am not interested in a 2-up in either brand. I currently am riding an '04 500 sportsman and so far no problems. Only reason I am contimplating a new machine is I have been wanting a twin for some time now and also want fuel injection. I had always thought that the outlander was smaller than the sportsman but looks to be a little wider/longer. But that is a moot point I guess. So far the only real knock I have against the can-am is I would have to drive over an hour to buy and service the machine versus the 10 minute ride I have to a polaris shop. Other than that it sounds like quite the machine. Fit and finish on both brands seems to be top notch.

Old 03-09-2010 | 07:30 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by Cardiac
I haven't owned the new Polaris, had an older model which was nothing but problems. I frequent a lot of the ATV forums and I have noticed a lot of guys who rushed to buy the 850 XP and have now sold them and went with the Outlander XT-P. Sometimes the real world speaks volumes above the "reviews".

This is the truth. The bottom line is the consumer. I have a Polaris and an Outty. Love the Outty (on my 2nd) and really like the 500 HO (tank). Bottom line is that they all have there strengths and weaknesses.

Old 03-16-2010 | 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by Specta
I'm not a 2-up fan but we're only talking about an 8" length difference, not hardly enough to make a huge difference on the tighter trails.

It's more like comparing a CJ5 to a CJ7, not a Jeep to a full size truck.

On edit; 09 Outlander Max review - 2009 Can-Am Outlander MAX 800R EFI XT Review

Again, this depends entirely on your idea of tight or technical trails. The longer wheelbase would obviously be more stable in straight sections but the trees, ruts, steep creek banks around here are tight enough with a Brute Force or Grizzly. You'd need a chainsaw to clear new trails for anything bigger. I'd still try it, though. :-)

8" change in wheelbase on a Jeep makes it a entirely different machine. And relatively speaking, 8" on a ATV is like 16" on a Jeep since it's about twice as long to start with. This is exactly why the regular Wrangler is a better trail rig than the Unlimited in most conditions.