CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Rear brake help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 10:25 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Rear brake help!

Went riding last week and noticed my rear brake is out when i got home. Looked into it and found out that the plastic elbow that comes outta the caliper was broken. So i replaced it today,filled it with the proper dot 4 brake fluid and pumped the heck out of it, even bled them.and still minimal pressure.not enough to engage caliper. Any suggestions on what to try? I have no leaks.just not enough pressure i guess... Thanks

Old 06-26-2010, 12:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

i now we half to some times on cars open the bleeder then hit the brake close bleeder befor letting the brake go do that a few times then try to bleed it normaly it works 9 out of 10 times hope it will help

Old 06-26-2010, 11:25 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by polaris699
i now we half to some times on cars open the bleeder then hit the brake close bleeder befor letting the brake go do that a few times then try to bleed it normaly it works 9 out of 10 times hope it will help
thanks i will try that today..hopefully it works

Old 06-27-2010, 10:08 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by polaris699
i did this and still nothing.. i know the master cylinder works... anybody else? i need to fix it by next weekend if i wanna go riding... im getting frustrated

Old 06-28-2010, 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

you can try adjusting the pedal so its already putting pressure onto the master cylinder before you put your foot on the pedal. also check to make sure you didnt loose a brake pad out of the caliper and check to make sure the pads are not worn to the extent of not being able to do the job of stopping. hope this helps.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:42 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by x-runner kid
you can try adjusting the pedal so its already putting pressure onto the master cylinder before you put your foot on the pedal. also check to make sure you didnt loose a brake pad out of the caliper and check to make sure the pads are not worn to the extent of not being able to do the job of stopping. hope this helps.
uuugghhh another fc*n day of twittling with this rear brake and nothing!!! help please!!! i know someone else has run into this.... it is not my master cylinder cause it has tremendous pressure but i tookout the hose by the caliper and no pressure there only very little.....

Old 06-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Trailblazer

I had the same problem with mine. I couldn't get pressure even with all working parts. Get someone to help you and bleed the brakes from every hose. Even the one on the handlebars. That's what I did and I finally started getting pressure. Be patient, go slow and be sure to get all the air out. It's a guarantee that you have air in there. You just have to find it.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:33 PM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Wreckr
I had the same problem with mine. I couldn't get pressure even with all working parts. Get someone to help you and bleed the brakes from every hose. Even the one on the handlebars. That's what I did and I finally started getting pressure. Be patient, go slow and be sure to get all the air out. It's a guarantee that you have air in there. You just have to find it.
WOW!!! WRECKR U ARE THE SHIZ!!!! IT WAS DEFINETLY AIR IN THE LINES... HERES WHAT I DID FOR EVERYONE WHO RUNS INTO THIS PROBLEM... I TOOK THE HOSE CLAMP OFF THE HOSE THAT CONNECTS TO THE CONTAINER WHERE IT HOLDS THE BRAKE FLUID,PULLED THE HOSE OFF,USED MY WIFES SQUEEZE BOTTLE THAT SHE USES TO DYE HER HAIRFILLED IT WITH DOT 4 BRAKE FLUID AND STUFFED THE TIP INTO THE HOSE,OPENED THE BLEED NUT ON THE CALIPER AND FORCED BRAKE FLUID DOWN THE LINES VIA SQUEEZING THE HAIR DYE BOTTLE LOL.. SQUEEZED TILL NOTHING BUT FLUID CAME OUT THE CALIPER THEN TIGHTENED THE BLEED NUT,PULLED OUT THE BOTTLE FROM THE HOSE CONNECTED IT BACK UP WITH THE HOSE CLAMP AND VOILA!!!! REAR BRAKE FIXED!!!! WHO WOULDA THUNK IT AHAHAHA...WITH HELP FROM YOU GUYS AND A TRUSTY DYE BOTTLE NOW I HAVE TO HEAR IT FROM MY WIFE WHEN SHE DYES HER HAIR!!!!! I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:16 AM
Trailblazer

Believe me. I went through the same frustrations you were going through. I ended up replacing the master cylinder and almost the rear caliper before trying bleeding the upper lines. I wish I had started there in the beginning. Would have saved me a lot of stress. haha. I'm glad you got it working man.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Range Rover

wow this is the exact thing ive had a problem with for the past 2 months, havnt been able to ride once, rebuilt rear mc, caliper, bleed, ect, and fluid would come out the bleeder, but there was not enough pressure, ill try what you are talking about tomorrow and see how it work out.