CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Please help me before i rip my hair out

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 05:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am still woundering if going up a jet or two from stock will add hp sence i have an fmf pipe on it. thanks

Old 07-11-2010, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer

Did you see anything come out of the radiator? also was there coolant in it originally or just water?

Old 07-12-2010, 05:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

there was coolent in it and i tried engine ice as well, and yes there was so much mud u would not believe it took my over 2 hours with a pressure washer, even after u would go over a spot a time or two u would go back over it and holy **** theres still mud coming out. And before i washed it out u could still see some light threw it, i really did not think it was that bad. sir i was wrong.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:39 AM
Range Rover
when your holding the football - people will throw evrything they can at you to strip it away .... including the waterboy at the end of the bench.

Originally Posted by beergut
a simple compression check of the cylinder will tell you if you have a blown gasket-...

Glad you got it running good.

For those reading along & for future reference - a compression check will not guarantee you in finding a blown head gasket. Size & location of the leak as well as temp of the engine while testing, has in many times not revealed any difference in compression.

A leakdown test however, is a much more accurate method in pin pointing a failure such as this.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:00 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcefed
Glad you got it running good.

For those reading along & for future reference - a compression check will not guarantee you in finding a blown head gasket. Size & location of the leak as well as temp of the engine while testing, has in many times not revealed any difference in compression.

A leakdown test however, is a much more accurate method in pin pointing a failure such as this.
A compression check is a great diagnostic tool for engine performance. I remember when I was rebuilding diesel / gas motors the very first thing we'd do is a compression check- if it came back low, I'd put about 50 ml of oil in the cylinder and re-do the check- if the compression went up, then I knew it was a worn ring or a minor head gasket / o-ring failure, if the compression remained the same- then I knew it was a bit more serious like a burnt / cracked valve, piston damage or cylinder damage. The oil would temporarily seal the leak if it was minor. A leak down test needs to be performed on both sides (cylinder & radiator) and takes a bit longer then a compression test. Both tests are very efficient at determining failures in a motor.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:04 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fourwheelndaddy
there was coolent in it and i tried engine ice as well, and yes there was so much mud u would not believe it took my over 2 hours with a pressure washer, even after u would go over a spot a time or two u would go back over it and holy **** theres still mud coming out. And before i washed it out u could still see some light threw it, i really did not think it was that bad. sir i was wrong.

careful with that pressure washer on your radiator- very easy to bend those cooling fins even with a #40 tip- I've done it many times and had to straighten them out, and I was a good 12" from the core.