CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

800 renegade

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by atvkiller
there no such thing as to much power more power the better bones heal lol but its the best play atv you can go with any of the others but wont be any were impresive
You're right about never too much power, I guess the thing that I didn't care for was the clutch engagement. It seems to want to "jump" when it does. Not good in a lot of situations.

The power was very impressive but it's just not what I would want for me. I'd really like to ride an 800 Outlander. I really liked the 800 Max too. The Renegade didn't "feel" right for the more technical stuff.

Old 05-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Specta
You're right about never too much power, I guess the thing that I didn't care for was the clutch engagement. It seems to want to "jump" when it does. Not good in a lot of situations.

The power was very impressive but it's just not what I would want for me. I'd really like to ride an 800 Outlander. I really liked the 800 Max too. The Renegade didn't "feel" right for the more technical stuff.
the renegade is a sport utility is how i look at it the clutch is set up with a racing clutch so it kicks in at higher rpm but is a lot better for mud bogging i have my 2004 400 outlander set up with the same clutching and i can pop the front strait up in the air in four wheel the 800 outlander is meant a little more for comfort and and easier handling the 800 renegade is more meant for the crazy ridders that love taking risk every time out ridding like me

Old 05-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

Even w the belt transmission I presume this still makes more then a ds 650?I thought cvt trans lost almost half there hp to the wheels?

Old 05-03-2011, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

the ds650 has about 62 horse power and the 8800 your running 72 you dont lose any of the power with a belt drive transmision its the clutching is were its all at i have a stock 400 out lander could never pop the front end up i put a racing clutch set up in it and edjusted the valves and now in mud in 2 wheel i get on it and im looking up at the sky it how the clutch is set up i havent played much on the 800 but im shure the clutch kicks in at about 2300rpm just like my racing clutch does so its all touch in go and depends what kind on ridding you do with it is how you want it set up

Old 05-04-2011, 06:42 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by atvkiller
the ds650 has about 62 horse power and the 8800 your running 72 you dont lose any of the power with a belt drive transmision its the clutching is were its all at i have a stock 400 out lander could never pop the front end up i put a racing clutch set up in it and edjusted the valves and now in mud in 2 wheel i get on it and im looking up at the sky it how the clutch is set up i havent played much on the 800 but im shure the clutch kicks in at about 2300rpm just like my racing clutch does so its all touch in go and depends what kind on ridding you do with it is how you want it set up
+1

you can do a lot with a clutch- I rode a friends brand new outty 400 couple weeks ago- damn thing was a sled. No ***** whatso ever. So, if you're able to wheelie your 400 with a clutch mod- that's pretty awesome.
Same guy rode my 800 rene at the same time- hehehe, he was like "why did I buy a 400 "
CVT's are pretty reliable and transfer power nicely- Look at all the huge belt driven motorcycles and 200+hp sleds; all belt driven.

everyone falls in love with a big-bore Can-Am once they ride one

Old 05-04-2011, 06:51 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.

Originally Posted by Specta
I guess the thing that I didn't care for was the clutch engagement. It seems to want to "jump" when it does. Not good in a lot of situations.
yep- 100% correct there too- the clutch "kicks" in a bit on the high side. It's a bit of a challenge to creep into a tight spot in your shed or when loading up a ramp especially with big tires... I even bent my front bumper once trying to creep into my shed- I bliped the throttle and "smash!"
Once you get used to feathering the throttle though, it's not so bad...

I thought it was harder getting used to the engine brake- damn thing almost tosses the rider over the bars when you release the throttle, and comes to a complete stop on the steepest hills- If I'm doing 35-40 on dirt and I release the throttle, the tires skid to a stop- it's a bit too effective for me- I like to coast a little.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by beergut
yep- 100% correct there too- the clutch "kicks" in a bit on the high side. It's a bit of a challenge to creep into a tight spot in your shed or when loading up a ramp especially with big tires... I even bent my front bumper once trying to creep into my shed- I bliped the throttle and "smash!"
Once you get used to feathering the throttle though, it's not so bad...
I noticed that about the Renegade. It is a bit harsh on engagement. My Sportsman X2 is also but engages at more like 1500 RPM, so once you get used to feathering the throttle it's a great quad for rocks. Yamaha has a pretty nice engagement.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:09 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Its not all about HP power and motor size I,m sure a 525 KTM/Polaris Out law sport ATVs with its better power to weight would beat a 800 or 850 Utility atv. Even the 450 race ATVs would give them a good go.

ATV motors are really on the weaker side on power, AC 1000 4 stroke sleds makes 145hp vs there 1000 atv with 70hp. and Polaris makes a 750 4 stroke that makes 85hp(stock) and 145hp(turbo assist) sleds while the XP850 only makes 70hp with a 100cc advantage.

These ATVs could be alote crazier if they wanted them to be, if you compare them to there PWC and sleds.

Old 05-04-2011, 09:29 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ

Originally Posted by TLC
Its not all about HP power and motor size I,m sure a 525 KTM/Polaris Out law sport ATVs with its better power to weight would beat a 800 or 850 Utility atv. Even the 450 race ATVs would give them a good go.

ATV motors are really on the weaker side on power, AC 1000 4 stroke sleds makes 145hp vs there 1000 atv with 70hp. and Polaris makes a 750 4 stroke that makes 85hp(stock) and 145hp(turbo assist) sleds while the XP850 only makes 70hp with a 100cc advantage.

These ATVs could be alote crazier if they wanted them to be, if you compare them to there PWC and sleds.
I think the rene would edge out overall. You can't just dismiss HP as being not important- it plays a huge role in how quickly your motor will reach it's top torque line- HP makes all the difference in the world when racing atv's / cars / boats or whatever. Two motors producing the same amount of torque- the motor with higher HP will get there faster, which is what moves a 600-700lb atv off the line.

I think an atv's hp potential is a bit lower due to what may be considered "the weakest link" in the drive train. Sleds have far fewer moving parts- less stress / friction to consider on moving parts. I bet as atv "parts" evolve and get stronger, the hp will increase. A lot of these stock atv's can crack a cv shaft no problem- lots of friction between the wheels & ground which ='s tons of stress on the drivetrain...

Old 05-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.

Originally Posted by TLC
Its not all about HP power
I'm shocked to see this statement coming from you.

I haven't ridden many sport quads but that Renegade 800 is just plain and simple fast. In it's own way it was as impressive ride/drive as my friends 500 hp Mustang Cobra.

I seriously doubt that any other ATV out of the box today would be capable of out running this one.

Like someone said; it's on a class all by itself.

Quick Reply: 800 renegade