CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Yellow paint to match 2000 DS650

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 01:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yellow paint to match 2000 DS650

I did a search, but could not find an answer. Does anybody know of a good color match to the 2000 DS650 yellow with out going to a custom mix for a spray can? I just want to paint the hubs yellow, so the color does not have to be dead on. Thanks

Old 11-08-2011, 08:54 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

I'd say the easiest route would be to take off the heat shield and match it up at your local auto parts store. Only two 10mm bolts. Probaly not the answer you were seeking but that would leave the decision to you on whether or not it was a close enough match to suit your taste.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:19 PM
Range Rover

ha ha. i wish I had a heat shield in any color. Sometimes my leg gets pretty hot.

Old 11-09-2011, 07:06 PM
Military Rider
My hobbies are NASCAR, Rockin' in the Free World, and riding my Sand Pigs at every available opportunity.

The 2000 model came with a yellow shield, what exhaust are you running? The best aftermarket pipes for these pigs are slip-ons, allowing you to keep the stock headers.
What about the yellow handlebar pad cover? It's pretty close to the plactics?

Old 11-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Range Rover

Stock header. The muffler is from a later DS, as it has the heat shield with the DS cut out. Previous owner claimed the owner before him had modified the "internals" of the muff to make it flow better. I've never taken it apart to inspect what happened, but you have me curious now. Plus it would be a good idea to check the carbon build up and clean if necessary.

I've actually had a plan to trace the DS logo from the muffler onto a sheet of aluminum I have, cut it out, and make my own custom heat shield. It probably will not look as professional as an aftermarker piece, but I think I can do a good job. I also have access to some ballistic grade carbon fiber, and I've toyed with the idea to making one out of CF as well. I would have a hard time making the CF look really clean, but once again, it would be free or cheap. I've thought about just cutting up an old stew pot I have, and forming the CF up against the inside of it. I can cure it in an old toaster I have (don't want to cure composites in the wife's toaster if I want to live!) and trim it with a Dremel. Since the shield will not need to be highly structurally sound, I think skipping the vac bagging precess is ok.

The yellow pad is long gone. Previous owner did not like the scratched up yellow plastic and painted it white. (yuk) I took me a couple of days and a large bottle of old brake fluid to get the two layers of white spray paint off. I tossed the solid white pad as well.

I've been trying to not sink much $$ into the Bomb, so I haven't considered a new muffler yet. It has enough power to scare me at times and I can keep up with my friend on his Yamaha YZ 450 most of the time. It's usually the suspension that limits how fast I go. Everywhere I ride has got the park rangers checking on current tags, and I hear they will bust you if you exhaust is too lound as well.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:34 AM
Range Rover

I'd think something in a 70's Corvette yellow would come close to the original yellow. If it's going on the hubs, it would be far enough away from the plastic that it wouldn't have to be a perfect match. That's about what color my heat shield is. The P/O of mine also painted it...plastics were black, he painted them flat black, after scratching all of the decals off and made a mess out of the fenders, and he did a nice job of scuffing them, so after the paint was gone, they really looked like crap! I ended up buying a full graphic kit from AMS to get mine to look decent.