CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

OIL/TEMP LIGHT ON???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 10:56 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, just stopped ridding my DS for the first time. I had to drive a few miles, but found a dealer willing to deal. Brand new out of the crate for 5095.00 for my 2000. How cool is that. My first ride was great works too perfect, except for being hard to wheelie, also I seem to spin more tire then I seem to go forward, but I only weigh 145# at 5'8". The thing that I noticed and maybe you guys would know about it, after ridding for about an hour and a half, my oil/temp light flashes very quickly only at an idle. As soon as I throttel any it goes away? Oil level is ok, but I have only checked it when hot. Maybe after cooling I will get a different reading. I'm sure it is nothing and the dealer couldn't have known about it. Any imput would be greatly apperciated.

Old 08-15-2001, 08:42 AM
Range Rover

Mine does the same thing. Also it now runs hot after 20-25 miles on the trails. So if you figure out what it is let me now.

Old 08-15-2001, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

Hay Ed,
I've had my o/p switch replaced once under warranty for the same reason. The new one even acts up once in a while so I checked the oil pressure using a 100 psi gauge screwed directly into the port where the switch resides. Pressure was 48 psi at idle and 65 at ~2500 rpm. If you don't have a gauge to check the pressure I would take it to your local dealer and have him check it out under warranty (if its still covered). When my o/p switch acts up again I plan to replace it with a more reliable part sourced from the local autoparts catalog.

Dskurt, What are the simptoms of your overheating? Ie. Temp light on, coolant blowing out of the recovery bottle, loss of performance, ect.
If your only simptom of over heating is a warning light this could also be a faulty switch (temperature switch). Best way to test is by using a "point and shoot" infrared thermometer(hopfully you know someone with one) directed at the water outlet housing at the time of the suspected overheat. This will also help in diagnosing the cause of the overheat by sensing the temperature at which the fan switch closes -to turn the fan on, or when the thermostat opens.
If all is working correctly and its still overheating check the following:
* Radiator for obstructions, fin damage or internal cloging.
* Ignition timing as per the service manuals instructions.
* Internal engine problems that will also show up in the form of poor engine performance.
* Excessivly lean air/fuel mixture.
I hope this helps.
Good luck and ride hard
Jeff

Old 08-15-2001, 10:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I can't believe the dealer sold that 2000 DS without performing all the updates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That oil pressure switch was replaced over a year ago with a new part number.

Old 08-15-2001, 11:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for all of your imput. It only does it after ridding for awhile and only idle. Does any know the new part number or a good replacement and where to get it???

Old 08-16-2001, 08:36 AM
Range Rover

I was told by my dealer that they DO NOT supply any of the updates under warranty. Is this a bunch of crap? How else can I get the updates under warranty. Different dealer?

JSsDS: Mine flickers at idle first then when its warmed up it stays on. I touch the throttle and it goes out. After riding a while it just stays on until I shut it off and let it sit for a few minutes. It has always flickered and my dealer said it wasn't anything to worry about????? The last trail ride it started to stay on. I'm gonna change the oil and see if it still does it. Give me some ideas on updates under warranty!!! THANKS

Old 08-16-2001, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

dskurt
Your dealer has an obligation to repair ANY problem that arises from defective materials or workmanship while under warranty which definitly covers your o/p switch problem. If you can't get any sattisfastion from the service mgr go to your salesman and see if he can make things happen. Or, and its been said many times on this forum, call the customer service # in your operators manual and be polite, direct and assertive and they will help you out with your dealer. Also keep names and #s of the people you talk to in case you need them in the future.
I'm not sure of all the updates on the bomb maybe someone else here can help with that. I'm assuming that yours is an 01 model which should have had all updated parts installed on the assembly line,,,including the o/p switch???
Whenever somebody says "dont worry", when referring to an oil warning light I get a little nervous. I would strongly suggest that you check the pressure, as suggested earlier in this thread, to ensure proper oil pressure when your engine is up to running temperature. I'm sure you would like to know if your oil pressure is dropping off or not before taking it to the dealer. I know I would.

Old 08-17-2001, 12:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

A list of the changes is in this thread (scroll down to bottom of the thread): 2000 vs. 2001 DS650

There is a fan update as well.

Old 08-17-2001, 02:44 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm with JSsDS on this one - I would want that warning light to be working 200% perfectly. If you're in the habbit of ignoring it, then when there is really a problem, you're going to end up ignoring it and possibly damaging something expensive. It would become a classic case of 'boy who cried wolf.'