CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

OK, IS IT JUST ME OR ALL DS650 SUX

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2001, 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my ds a month ago,

and here is the list of problem that i have:

OIL LEAKING

GAS LEAKING

CHAINROLLER DEAD

wtf is going on

Old 10-15-2001, 12:47 AM
Pro Rider

You think a DS is bad you should try a Raptor. I had one for a year and was having major problems. I will never buy another Yamaha.
I've had my DS for about a month and have no problems.
The chain roller is common. When I got mine the chain was way to tight. I adjusted it before even riding it and the chain roller is still perfect. I do have a UPP one for when the stock one goes.
As for oil and gas leak. Where are they leaking from?
I had a little oil coming out the the dipstick, but I just
flipped the gasket and haven't had a problem since. Let us know what's up. I love mine compared to my old Raptor. Later

Old 10-15-2001, 02:13 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

It's just you.

Old 10-15-2001, 02:51 AM
Pro Rider
It's official, I've been duning for over 30 years.

seriously, after reading the posts and my own experience, here's what you may expect. If I leave anyone out, I apologize in advance.
Chainroller-right away, tighten your rear spring up, if you were attracted to the DS you are more than likely a larger sized individual and the stock bike was set soft.
Fan may fail, wasn't built to take the vibration, rubber mount it or cross your fingers.
Headlight may fail, cheap to replace-a heavier duty (vibration again?) is available.
Clutch starts slipping with hard use-heavier springs are available through Ron woods or Team Pami.
Plastic can break in a cold weather rollover.
Headlight mount will crack if you look at it funny.
Water pump seal can leak.
These are all things we may all expect to see, but look at what you don't see. Seized motors, broken gears, broken swingarms, cracked cases, folding a-arms, and whose going to break that chain? The second list is very, very rare, but only on this post. The things you encounter the most are relatively minor. Bombardier actually did a decent job bringing a new bike into the world, if they can correct their weak points, which they seem to be doing with the Baja, they will have a trully excellent bike.

Old 10-15-2001, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

I've had my DS for about 6 months, and ridden it quite a bit. The chainroller is fine, in fact I've only adjusted my chain once, I keep it Chainwaxed pretty good. My oil dipstick does leak, I'll try flipping the gasket over. My fan did go out, I have replaced it and added a larger front pusher fan. I think the fans go out because they are too close to the exhaust header and can't take the heat. The second fan should keep everything cooler.
.....What I didn't like was the handling and front suspension. TimmyBoy A-arms and works shocks fixed that, but I am still trying to get more out of the works shocks by changing springs and adding rezzies. If you get works shocks or any shocks for that matter, make sure you get rezzies.
......I've never heard of anybody having a gas leak, where's it coming from? I know if I overfill the tank it will spill a little out through the overflow tube.

Old 10-15-2001, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

next he'll be whinning cause he got dirty while riding.

Old 10-15-2001, 06:56 PM
Pro Rider

<< seriously, after reading the posts and my own experience, here's what you may expect. If I leave anyone out, I apologize in advance.
Chainroller-right away, tighten your rear spring up, if you were attracted to the DS you are more than likely a larger sized individual and the stock bike was set soft.
Fan may fail, wasn't built to take the vibration, rubber mount it or cross your fingers.
Headlight may fail, cheap to replace-a heavier duty (vibration again?) is available.
Clutch starts slipping with hard use-heavier springs are available through Ron woods or Team Pami.
Plastic can break in a cold weather rollover.
Headlight mount will crack if you look at it funny.
Water pump seal can leak.
These are all things we may all expect to see, but look at what you don't see. Seized motors, broken gears, broken swingarms, cracked cases, folding a-arms, and whose going to break that chain? The second list is very, very rare, but only on this post. The things you encounter the most are relatively minor. Bombardier actually did a decent job bringing a new bike into the world, if they can correct their weak points, which they seem to be doing with the Baja, they will have a trully excellent bike.
>>

Who's gonna break the chain? I have and now I have a sidewinder stainless chain. True story . It had 32 stess fractures besides the actual break. But seriously, it was due to movement in the rear axle. The first shipment of DS's had a factory recall on the bearings or whatever and my dealer didn't take care of the problem.

Old 10-15-2001, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

Key word &quot;me &quot; !........take it back if ya can't fix it yourself. ?????waranty????????

Old 10-15-2001, 11:01 PM
Pro Rider

That's too funny, Marky

Old 10-15-2001, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Good one marky! We need a little more info psyduck777 where are the leaks? the reason the chain roller is chewed is because the rear shock preload is set to soft