CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

DS stock airbox tube to carb replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know where you can get aluminum honeycomb material (like the internal of a water ski?) I would like to try this. I first started thinking of just packing a bunch of straws into the tube. The tube is currently oval so making it more round instantly increases the amount of area and therefore the amount of air we can flow. I then thought straws would not have the strength to hold up to the relative vacuum created by the air flow. Straws would have the added benefit of acting as a straightening vein to reduce turbulence and thus increasing flow. Downside, the fuel may still need some turbulence to fully atomize with the air. If we put three separate honeycomb sections in the air duct (in a cross section pattern) we could still have mixing, increase the area of the air duct and have some straightening effect on the fuel.

As for cooling the incoming air to increase the density, the air being brought in is the same temperature as the outside air so an aluminum duct would not cool by itself (you would need misting or a desiccant to cool, that would be sweet but, a turbo would be more practicle.)

Old 02-20-2002, 04:56 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Has anyone ever tried one of those 'Tornado' systems in a car? Supposedly it swirls (well no doubt it does that) the air and causes a better mixture. They say it works on both carbureted and EFI engines. I have my doubts as to whether or not that could have any effect on an EFI engine when the air/fuel mixture is sprayed from an injector. www.tornadofuelsaver.com I’ve not been convinced well enough to ever buy one, but it sounds almost interesting, if I didn't mind tossing out the $70 they want for it. (Or, I could put that $70 towards my CDI or Tachometer.)

Old 02-20-2002, 07:48 AM
Pro Rider

Blackhawk I am trying one now. All I can say it has not cut in too my performance any. I will know more when I get a set of cams and Dyno it.

Old 02-20-2002, 12:00 PM
Range Rover

Hey that tornado idea sounds cool. Some one should try to get a tornado dynoed on a stock motor. To see if they actually work. Then maby some one could design a New bigger stiffer air hose with a tornado like system. And Get Even More POWER..!!!! If those tornado thing s even work. I pursonally don't see how they could . It just looks like a big obstruction in your air hose.