CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

New Bombardier sport quads for 2002?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 12:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also hearing rumors of Bombs supposed addition of a couple of sport quads to their line-up. If they do end up producing a Bombardier DS 450 4 stroker for competition, do you think this may be worth the wait instead of purchasing the heavier Baja this summer. I'm guessing if they stick to the same set-up and go for a lighter competition addition to compete against the 400ex and cannondales than they are going to have to drop a few pounds some how. If they go with a all knew frame on the smaller 4 stroker then they may get the weight down in the same ball park. If they stick with same frame then they may drop about 30 pounds off the engine alone from the DS 650.

And I guess this question is for nutz ... if the DS 650 engine is pretty easy to install your kits on and works with them, Do you think the smaller 450 bore would produce similar results. What limitations would you have on installing bigger bore kits on say a supposed DS 450?

And I could only pray that Bombardier will make a 2 stroke engine and put it in a sport quad. Guess, will have to wait and see! I hope its not to long of a wait.

Old 01-16-2002, 12:35 PM
Elite Pro Rider

There will always be another quad "to-possibly-be-released" thats better than whats available now. If you are always waiting on these "to-possibly-be-released" quads, then you will never get to ride. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] When this quad materializes....trade the Baja in.

Old 01-16-2002, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

I think the possibilities are very exciting. Especially since Bombardier
isn't hung up on making narrow, tight-*** "woods" quads. So a 250 DS and a 450 DS, four strokes, along with a smaller, say 400, 4x4 Utility, would really fill out their line. I'm sure a 450 would be an all new MX design, aimed straight at the Cannondale. I'm sure it will be light, powerful, and competitive.
..... The 250 DS should be a great entry level sport, hopefully wider than the Honda 250EX. Choice of auto or manual clutch would be nice, convertible from one to the other would be better. Reverse would be good too.
.....Two strokes, hmm, considering the environmental restrictions, I wonder, why bother? But that is just the U.S,,, the rest of the world, including Canada and Austria aren't as hung up as we are. You may have to go to Canada to buy one.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2002, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

That is pretty interesting ...and now at this point at least vary hypothetical, but it seems to me that if they did make a 450 version of the 650 with a complete redesign, it would seriously undermind the already potent DS 650. How does a manufacture cope with a 450 version of a 650 engine that can possibly out accelerate and have alomst identical hp numbers as its older brother. I'm sure Bombardier knows what there doing, but there not going to undermind there own DS 650, by producing one even quicker with a smaller engine in it. And as far as I see it if they do a complete redesign on the chassis and loose say 100lbs off the Baja then its vary possible that the 450 may spank its older brothers.. This may be the reason why none of the other manufactures have produced both 600+ cc and 400+ cc versions of their own sport quads yet...Just something to think about....

Old 01-16-2002, 02:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

If Bombardier comes out with a 400cc machine than thats great. It doesn,t have to compete compete with the 650 because it will be smaller in stature. We must remember that the DS650 was biult with the 'duner' in mind(long wheel travel,extra wide,extra big seat,not to mention a motor that has the grunt you need at anytime). However the 400cc class quad would be built with MXer and Woods riders in mind. a lighter, higher reving engine, with a chassis that is smaller and lighter, maybe 10 inches of suspention up front, 9in in back. The DS650 is a specialty biult machine for us duners and desert runners, but in doing so Bombardier left their self with a small market. Now their going to biuld a machine that is specifically for the MX, and woods guy's. They are not interested in biulding a bike that is a JACK of all trade's but KING of none(Raptor,400ex,banshee)LOL.

I say "Hats off"to Bombardier and C'dale for biulding "specialty"machines at the risk of looseing sales, but I think thier following is going to be great, because when you biuld something with a "specific" purpose in mind it is going to be GREAT!! and Bombardier has the Trophies to prove it.