CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Regular DS & Ohtsu tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2002, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well,I got to try my new Ohtsu tires out today. The magazines got it right this time.The Ohtsu tires turn the DS into a totally different machine.The twitchy, wondering, front end is NO more with the bigger front Ohtsu's.It goes where you point it.2nd,the Ohtsu's get plenty of grab.You can throw the front end up easy at will,in most all terrains.The Ohtsu tires put great arm pulling power to the ground. 3rd,the Ohtsu radial tires make for a VERY plush ride.The steering is slower and wider with the bigger front tires,but it will carve a turn with the best of them.The only down side is they want power slide as easy as the stock Kendas.They will power slide,but not as easy.I highly recomend Ohtsu's or similar tires for the DS.I would also recomend the Ronwood's cdi.Like Knutz sead,your allways in a better part of the power band when you shift.You can really feel more power and speed.
Thats all for now Clif.........

Old 01-20-2002, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

What is the limiter set at on the Woods CDI? How about on the Pami CDI?
Do you need to change your valve springs with either CDI?

Old 01-20-2002, 02:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

On the woods and Pami CDIs there is NO rev limit. I don't think you'll need to change valve springs with either CDI, it's generally considered a very basic (rumored to be very good as well) bold on upgrade. I have a feeling when Knutz was talking about the new CDI keeping you in a better part of the power band when you shift, he was speaking in general. However, if he were to speak specifically about any one product, it would likely be the one that he sells, not his compeditor. When was the last time Dodge told you that you should go buy a Chevy instead?

Old 01-20-2002, 05:51 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for explaining that Blackhawk. I don't believe I've ever recomended a RWR box over a Team Pami box.

Old 01-20-2002, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

Now I was told,that both the Team Pami and Ronwoods cdi are made by Rotax.Is that not true?

Old 01-20-2002, 05:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The valves will hit a stock piston if over rev'd. I've done it on two motors.

Old 01-21-2002, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

I met a guy yesterday that had just bought a Baja. He was hitting the rev. limiter constantly. I doubt I would be interested in upgrading the the newer CDI (Baja Version). It doesn't seem to get you much more usable powerband.

Scooby:

Did you damage your valves while running NOS?

I would like to get a tach before doing the CDI upgrade but, we all know the story about the tachs. from Bomb. Might just go with someone elses. I sure like the look of the tach on the Baja. Mine just looks like it is missing something.

Old 01-21-2002, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

I've got the Pami CDI from Knutz, no limiter. With a stock engine, a K&N, 175 mainjet and a HMF modified Quiet core slip-on, this thing works like a stock engine should. It has a much broader powerband, with more low end and no obnoxious cutting out when you get up on top. Yet it does run out of room at high rpm, not from the CDI, it is just done. It does not want to rev "out of sight". I feel comfortable that I would have to do something extreme, or just plain stupid to over-rev it. With furthur mods it would probably get into a danger zone rpm-wise. So if you are going with further mods with a limitless CDI, Heavy duty valve springs should be on the top of your mod list to prevent valve float and a possible close encounter of the piston kind.
......And a tach would be really nice. Bombardier really pissed me off when they changed the part number, and the price from $129 to $229. FRIGGIN' HOSERS!! But that empty, naked spot in the dash just cries for a tach. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]