CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Cold Shocks (long sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2002, 04:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went riding our dunes today and it was gret getting to ride but I didn't the conditions. There was alot of snow under the sand, making it a bit dangerous. I met WYODUNER and dragged against his shee a few times n that was alot fun. He is great guy along with the other fellows he was with. It was cold as hell though.

Anyway, We found a rough flat that had alot of little mogul type mounds and stuff that would normaly be pretty rough to go through. But right before that we found a spot that was all snow from a few inches to three feet deep and was playin around in it and I got burried. At the same time so did my brother. We got his out and then started on mine and I just got out and boom, stuck again. I hit a bad spot. Well I finally got out again and we headed back to the trucks. Thats when we went through the spot I was talking about. The machine felt totally different though. I think that the shocks were stiffer, but not hard like a crap shock feels, from sitting in the snow for so long and it made the quad handle very nimble and felt very light. I loved it!! Is there a way to adjust the shocks to feel like that? It soaked up the bumps still but had a different feel. Hard to explain. Any ideas?

Old 03-25-2002, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

Ok not everyone at once. I cant handle all of this info. Seriously anyone, anyone?

Old 03-25-2002, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

Uhhh, you could start packing your front shocks in ice before you ride.?.
Sorry, I had to post something for you since you haven't gotten an answer yet. I'm not sure why they performed that way. I'm in no way an expert on shocks. Sorry....

Old 03-25-2002, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

DemonDS, hey it was good to meet up with you and Eric. Too bad the weather turned cold but it was a good weekend anyway. We found a few of those snow-under-sand traps too. No fun. I got stuck, stepped off my Banshee and went straight down through the sand up to my knees...

Hey, when we were racing I couldn't hear my own quad from that loud pipe of yours and wasn't really sure if I was revved out to shift... (That's my story and I'm sticking with it). Your Bomb runs good, I wish my wife would let me buy one of those.

Anyway, sorry but have no advice for the shocks except stuffing your shock covers with ice.

Old 03-25-2002, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider

Unfortunatly, the stock shocks are not re-buildable. If they were, they could be re-valved or a heavier oil could be installed. As oil getts cold, it doesn't flow as freely, so the action will be stiffer[or slower] than warm shocks.

It seams that there are two different shocks out there on DS's. The shocks that are on my bike are soft and seam to work very well in almost all types of riding. I've heard many people complain about, and seen myself, some very stiff compression shocks on many DS's. Maybe someone with shocks that they feel are too stiff, would be willing to try swapping with you, to see if they are any better for your type of riding. If yours are sorf, they might like them better as well.

Old 03-25-2002, 05:15 PM
Range Rover

I have some that are softened up real good, lol.

Old 03-25-2002, 08:27 PM
Pro Rider

Wyo, after talking to you guys we were riding way on the cautious side and took it pretty easy out in the main dunes, I just didn't really want to have to be hauled off in a ambulance after hitting one of those covered pockets and falling in. As for the races we are 1 and 1, so that leaves it till next time, maybe you should get a tach so you can put in ear plugs and not hear mine. LOL Your shee is pretty sweet. My freind was talking about it today saying he couldn't beleive how bad you spanked him on his LOL.

As for the shocks I figured it had something to do with the oil being thickend due to cold. The best way to say that it handled was to say it was like the Baja on regular dirt. I am thinking that I might adjust the spring load a little higher and that the traction from the paddles on the wet sand/dirt was also a factor because of the supreme traction available. well it is sunny now so I am going to get it unloaded out of the truck finally, thanks everyone.

Old 03-27-2002, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

Possibly in late April (after I move into a new house) we are planning to hit Rock Springs again, St. Anthony and on down to Little Sahara, Utah... That's probably the next time I'll be out that way... Too much domestic work to do until then.

Anyway, I put up 7 videos from the weekend. Check them out if you get bored. 1 video is a little racing action before we met up with you.