CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

ANYBODY with rear bearing problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2002, 10:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have recently been having problems with my Ds' rear bearings. I was praticing on the local track 2 weeks ago and they got busted up pretty bad. So bad that the axle pulled away from the swingarm a little.
Its been in the shop for a week. They replaced the old ones with new ones and made sure everything was put together right. But I just went riding in the woods today when suddenly the chain popped off the sprocket and grinded to a halt. Turns out that the entire axle was pulled out from the swingarm to the right about an inch, bending my brake system in the process.
I wasn't riding too hard nor was the swingarm bolts(the 2 at the end) loose. Anybody with that same problem? I'm really puzzled right now and am looking for some help.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 04-21-2002, 11:15 PM
Pro Rider

BadboyDS...

I am not one of the most seasoned riders on this forum but man I can't help but to chime in my .02 here. I just feel like the service department of you dealer overlooked the true nature of the problem and took the easy way out of this one. Yeah, sure they may have installed the new bearings correctly and put a very short term smile on your face, but what kind of condition were the axle carrier and housing in is my question? If these components are warped or damaged then they should never have forced bearings in place and charged you for halfasst work. I suspect that when the initial damage was done that day at the track you were getting some pretty nasty air and often...but my guess is that the axle carrier's housing is out of round by now. Also, isn't there an anti-fade nut on the left side of the axle? That may be your problem since the axle slid to the right. Of course, that's worst case scenerio...I'm usually the one who's changing plugs when actually I just forgot to turn the gas on!!!! Like I said there are many others here that have much more time in the saddle than myself but I at least thought I'd validate your misery with some harsh negative input...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]it's probably not as bad as it seems. You might want to wait before you call your dealer and tell them some guy from OK said...see what the other fellers have to offer...well, DS doctors????

Old 04-22-2002, 12:16 AM
Trailblazer

Seems I remember a post about this along time ago, people said there bearings and axles were being damaged cause the carrier bolts kept coming loose.Iam sure sombody who has been posting here for the last few years would remember what the deal with this was...But I dont remeber, Sorry, Iknow your not the only one who has had this problem though...

Old 04-22-2002, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

After about 10 hours I noticed my axle came loose. I re-adjusted it and tightened the pinch on the nut. Before too long the nut worked loose again, no damage done, this time I gave it aprox 10 ft-lb more torque on the pinch. I just checked it the other day (been a year and 100 hours) when I serviced my chain and its still tight. You just want to be careful not to overtighten and strip the threads. I actually tightened mine until I could not turn the nut very easy with a pair of channell locks. Use a rag on the nut so the chanell locks dont scratch it up.

Old 04-22-2002, 06:14 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks guys for the input!

jiminok, the bottom casing to the swingarm pulled away from the top portion a little.It makes a small gap in between them. There is some sort of huge metal piece on the left side of the axle that looks like its supposed to keep stuff together back there. Its real tight right now but when your riding your machine around there is no way to tell, especially when jumping or sliding. Right now that thing is so messed up I can move that tire up and around like I am churning butter!

Old 04-22-2002, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

BadBoyDS...

It sounds like JSsDS had similar problems as you...he must ride his like a Mad Man also...LOL...I wish I could give you better advice. I am curious to what will ultimately be the corrective action for you...until then I've got a link for you here. They have adds in our favorite magazines and maybe they will be cool enough to offer you some useful information to get you back on the TRACK!!! Let us know what happens...

Jim

Old 04-23-2002, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider

BadBoyDS,
Here is what I suggest, If you are mechanically inclined that is.
Take the DS back to the shop and have them repair all the damage and replace any effected parts under warranty. Even if the DS is out of warranty the recient repair is not and they should repair everything for free.
Then bring it home and disassemble the axle. Inspect it and the swing arm and the bearings for any wear or damages they may have missed. If everything is ok then reassemble it and make sure the pinch of the nut is tight (as I mentioned above)

If your not comfertable doing this I would still have the dealer fix it (for free) and take your chances with their repair. Still check the nut though.

Old 04-25-2002, 09:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Bad Boy DS Get a new Damn Four wheeler you basterd,

Your Friend
Hossman