CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Serious Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2002, 10:07 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today I was riding around doing some wheelies in my yard and I smelt something burning so I stopped and saw white smoke coming off my exhaust. I looked down and saw that I had oil coming out of the breather tube that runs under the seat, the one that comes out on the right side of the motor (siting on quad, the oil was getting on the exhaust & causing the smoke.

So whats wrong with my bike?

Old 07-10-2002, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Anybody?

Old 07-10-2002, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

What mods do you have?
If you have a aftermarket filter on the carb,does the breather line have a small breather filter on the end?
If its stock,it should run into one of the black air tubes.
Make sure the line has no droops in it!(it needs a natural flow back to the crankcase)It is normal for a little oil to get blown into the breather line...If the line had sags for the oil to collect in...maybe when you wheelied it it just ran out..
Jeff

Old 07-10-2002, 11:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

A tiny bit of oil condensate will always come out the crankcase breather hose - which is tucked into one of the intake snorkels from the factory. For whatever reason you'rs is not tucked into the snorkel - mods I'd guess, like Jeff is asking about. The question is, is the amount of oil coming out of the hose excessive? Two things I know that will cause it : 1) Coolant getting into crankcase, causing frothing of the oil which drastically increases the emissions from the breather 2)piston ring blow-by causing excessive crankcase pressure - pushing oil out hose.

#2 is doubtful, but possible.
If #1 is occuring, you would see your coolant level drop over time, and your oil level rise on the dipstick in the tank. The dipstick would look a little milky too. If this is happening then the likely cause will be the water pump seals, and scored waterpump shaft. Confirmation of a bad seal might be made by feeling for a drop on the weephole - located directly under the waterpump housing. If there is even a tiny drop of antifreeze here, the seal is bad, and it can also be getting into the crankcase.

If everything is cool, no coolant issues, then its just a tiny bit of oil which is normal, and you should put a little pleated filter on the end of the hose (from Dennis Kirk, or auto parts store). I wrap mine with a piece of shop rag and rubber band, and replace it every ride.

Old 07-10-2002, 11:55 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
THAT!!!!!Sounds down right sexy!

HEY jeff looks like we might have found another bleeder.wierd how all ds's don't do it.

Old 07-11-2002, 12:36 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Wierd all right - I don't get it either. Somebody a while back was gonna try a bigger hose to see if that kept it from getting all the way up...wonder if it worked?