CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Stock DS Beats Piped & Jetted Raptor?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2002, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just purchased an '03 Baja and was drag racing an '01 Raptor with a FMF exhaust and rejetting. The rejetting was done by a local shop but seemed to be spot on. He did have trouble keeping his front end down on launches. Even on rolling starts he couldn't pass though. I did ride his quad and it seemed to have much more low end than mine. Should I have been able to beat him? Also I want to purchase a pipe for mine. Would appreciate some advice. Which one is preferred? Slip on versus full. Help would be much appreciated

Old 08-22-2002, 09:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Congrats on your new Baja! they are nice machines.
I have seen stock DS's beat piped and jetted raptors,and also the other way around.

If you just want a slip on, I would first try a Modified endcap. But if you want to save wieght and maybe go with something better looking, I would recomend a HMF, or Yoshi or Trinity. For FULL exhaust systems Ron Woods is HARD to beat.

You will also want to purchase a DynoJet stage 3 Jet kit for your carb, and also buy a K&N filter.

With these simple bolt ons, your DS will RIP!!!!!

WARNING!!!!!WARNING!!!!!WARNING!!!!!WARNING!!!!!!W ARNING!!!!!!

After prchasing these mods, and hanging out here on this Forum, you WILL want to go further,and further,and further. Until modding your DS has consumed your whole household,and you will catch your wife talking to her mother on the phone about your new addiction!ha ha ha[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]LOL!

Biggerisbetter.

Old 08-22-2002, 09:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Long top speed drags probably yes. The gearing on the Raptor is a factor. Short 300' drags no way. I've seen things go both ways as biggerisbetter has said. Rider capabilities is another factor. I was at Pismo this weekend and beat a piped and jetted Baja by 1 1/2 bike lenghts in a 3-400' drag area they have there. He may have been gaining by the time we ended it don't know. My bike is geared down and I know a longer race I'd have lost. The other factors I've mentioned come into play on this race as well. I got one of my best starts of that day on that race. I was wheelying off the start almost everytime and managed to keep the front end down that time. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Congrats on the purchase, Bajas are nice quads.

Old 08-22-2002, 09:30 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the help. I hope I won't be totally consumed with all the mods. I think I'm only going the bolt-on route so as not to reduce reliability. I've heard the DS is a very reliable machine. Forums like this have really helped to make choices. Thanks for everyone's input

Old 08-22-2002, 09:44 PM
Pro Rider

I really like my alba pipe kit, It comes with a K&N filter, outwears, and a jet kit.
And if they send you a pipe that does not satisfy you, they will send you a new one in a heart beat.
The only problem with theirs is that you need to put high heat silicone around the back of the silencer or else packing shoots out.

Go to there site

Old 08-22-2002, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

pads is there a big weight difference. are his tires wore out. yours are new. his bike is two years old now. Ron woods or trinity pipe. full pipe all the way man. no big gun and i repeat no big gun. BiggerIsBetter has end caps he is such a salesman!!!

Old 08-22-2002, 11:38 PM
Pro Rider

well i raced a guy who had 20" blackwaters, k&n, and full WRP pipe on his raptor and all i had was my 22" realtors (actual tire height 21&quot and we started on pavement, we raced and he beat me off the line so he was like 6-7 quad lengths ahead and by the end i was bout 2 lengths so top speed the ds is faster, and i also raced a guy wit a totally stock raptor, we were goin down the road and he has his gf on the back and i could easily pull away but my motor was hittin the rev limiter

Old 08-22-2002, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

I haven't had any problems with my Big Gun Pipe

Old 08-22-2002, 11:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Salesman? ha ha ha!! No, I don't sell them anymore,but it is easy to do yourself.

Pads,

Try to stay away from guys like Rooster. He will have you going BIG BORE, then alcohol then NOS!!!!!! he is nothing but TROUBLE!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]LOL!!!!!!

Take my advice and also stay away from 14mins,Maniac650,DSmike,Hurycne,Azsand,and Jeffinrivercity. Believe me.... these guys will have you selling your mother(to the Circus) for alittle more HP POWER!!! LOL!!!!

Biggerisbetter.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 08-23-2002, 12:37 AM
Pro Rider

naw naw naw You wouldnt have to sell anything...just tie one of those midgets to the front.....nevermind that is not right either!

Quick Reply: Stock DS Beats Piped & Jetted Raptor?