Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

What bolts to Locktite on FX-150 mkII

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What bolts to Locktite on FX-150 mkII

Ok, I know everyone has said "Locktite, Locktite, Locktite" but what are the most important areas to Locktite? Does this mean use it on everything from the A-Arm bolts to the bolts on the engine and carb? Or should I show restraint and concentrate on those that can vibrate off like the A-Arms, shocks etc...

Also, has anyone had an issue with stripping a wheel lug? How dificult is it to replace one of the front lugs or do you replace the entire assembly (as I expect)?

Thanks for the responses!

Old 03-18-2005, 02:18 PM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

welcome to the forum KCRider, On the yamoto 150 I eventually loctited everything that bolted into steel or a nut. I am very selective about bolts that go into aluminum. Carb, engine, etc... I do use it inside my ktm in a couple of places but generally dont. Use only blue loctite on alum and sparingly if you do. i use blue loctite on just about everything from 5-8 mm screws and red on larger if blue doesnt work. the main thing to do first is the smaller bolts/screws that hold on plastic and small brackets, etc... I would assume you would need to buy a new hub if you cant chase the damaged threads with a thread die. Should be able to get one at any good hardware store.

Old 03-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info! That is exactly what I wanted to hear. Ok, so everything on the frame and the larger bolts use red instead of blue if they keep spinning loose.

I didn't even think of thread die, I'll pick one up this evening and give it a shot.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:18 PM
Trailblazer

On my MKII's I found that everything was already extremely tight. Including the chain!!. I pulled the little snorkel off the top of the air box just for a little extra also. I actually had no problems with stripping the lugs like I expected but I did have to leave the lock washer and washer off because the stud is too short for them. Also I had to bend the steering stops just a little bit outward to get a sharper turning radius. Watch your knees on that shifter though after an hour or so of riding my wife has a bruise on her knee the size of an apple. No kidding. You definitely have to adapt your riding style to keep your leg off of it.

Old 03-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Trailblazer

Well, we took them out to Deepwater in Missouri and had a blast! They are a bit stiff but ride well, they climb almost anything out there and the kids really had a great time. Before we went, I loosened the chain and had to spray a little WD-40 on the tensioner springs on one of the bikes as they were sticking. The steering is a bit stiff too so I'll put some lithium grease on the steering knuckle this week. I locktited any bolt I could get off on the frame and did all the A-arm bolts, I put electical paint on all the exposed connectors to make them water tight and adjusted the mixture and idle. I did notice that the lugs were a little short for the washer and the lock washer but I torqued the bolt to the recommended 50 kg and didn't have any issues.

They start up on the 1st try from cold and every once and a while they will die once after they warm up but start right back up and stay running for hours after that without an issue.

I am extremely happy with them and the kids really love them (11 year old boy, 9 year old girl) even their younger brother (7 years old) rode one around the open terrain without an issue. I'd buy anthor Redcat in a heartbeat based on my experience. I'm gonna change out the break-in oil this week before we take them out again. I'll put in some decent motorcycle oil and differential hypoid oil to keep them well lubricated.

Oh, btw, my son tested out the chain/brake guard yesterday, he ran it up a hill with both wheels in the ruts and got the bike stuck on the berm. The guard did its job great 'cause he was right on a rock and would have destroyed the sprocket if the guard wasn't there!

Since it's raining here all week, I'll let you know how it performs in the Kansas mud next week!

Old 03-21-2005, 06:05 PM
Trailblazer

Have you had any problem with yours being unbelievably slow?? They say 35-45mph and the raceway atv site says 48. My 150 MKII only goes 24. Not even 25 only 24. The motor screams but it seems like the clutch never hooks up. That was on pavement wide open beside my car. Anybody with ideas?

Old 03-21-2005, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Turbomike
That dont sound right to me that bike should go a lot faster then 24mph. Something is not right!

Old 03-21-2005, 11:59 PM
Trailblazer

Thankyou very much for replying John. You were actually just the one I wanted to talk to. I received 2 of these bikes last tuesday and a meercat 50. One of those I had talked my buddy into buying. Honestly the meercat 50 is as fast as both of our 150's. I am very sorry I did not purchase them from your organization but I learned about you too late. The company I bought them from is being very little help to me. I will not reveal there name on the forum yet. I am stuck with these and unsure what to do. The motors are screaming but it just does not seem like the cluth is engaging. They run great after a little fine tuning but no speed at all. They do not roll well either when you are just trying to push them around the garage. Any ideas?? I was going to try the 23 tooth sprocket on the back but the guy cannot seem to tell me how to get them or does not really seem to want to warranty the damaged parts that they came with. Can you help me???

Thanks in advance for any help,
Mike

Old 03-22-2005, 09:20 AM
Pro Rider

Turbomike you are going to have to try and deal with who ever you got the bikes from for any warranty problems. But if you do run into a dead end let me know and I will help you out.
Kazuma ATV Raceway ATV

Old 03-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Trailblazer

John,

Thanks for all of your help with these bikes and in a sense, assuming the warranty from the original seller. At this point I am not willing to bury them on this forum yet, them being high rpm racer.com because I am still waiting on them to replace the fenders that were damaged during shipping. However I am not holding my breath on high rpm racer.com warrantying anything for me since I cannot get a phone call or email returned. High rpm racer.com was very polite to me until the sale was complete and now it seems that they dont remember me purchasing 3 bikes from them last week. Two of them that are not performing as advertised. Thank you for treating me as a customer even though I was not until today. Once I have everything finalized with high rpm racer.com I will then tell you all of the p*ss poor experiences that I have been having with them. Thanks again for all of your time and help and I will call you friday on the transmission/clutch for the 150's. Also if you can order me 2 of those 23 tooth rear sprockets as well for friday I would like to see if they make a real difference.

Thanks,
Mike

Quick Reply: What bolts to Locktite on FX-150 mkII