Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

no spark

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 10:37 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, that's a puzzler.

So the stator voltage is low, but not low enough to prevent spark. The kill switch pin voltages show that the main storage capacitor in the CDI is not getting charged at all, the kill switch is disconnected so it can't be shorting the stator power, and you've got something on the timing /trigger pin.

I think you might want to double check those readings with the new CDI just to be sure that there isn't some other problem now with roughly the same overall symptoms (i.e.no spark). Also receheck the CDI ground to see that it is good. Measurement error can send one down the garden path and looking in all the wrong places. If it were me I would recheck, then triple check those earlier readings just to be sure I wasn't fooling myself.

I've been trying to think what else could cause the above symptoms. One possibility is that the stator has a really high output resistance so that it generates a weak voltage open circuit then drops to zero when loaded by the CDI. I'm not quite sure what could cause that though. The stator ignition power winding is just a coil of wire. It could have a broken wire, or a short to ground, or a shorted turn in the coil itself. All of these would give drastically wrong voltages. Maybe water intrusion into the stator which has caused some corrosion...

Here's something else to try: Disconnect the CDI, and connect a AC current meter set to a 200 milliamp (0.200 amp) scale or higher from the ignition power winding pin on the CDI connector (Blk/Red) to engine ground. Crank the engine. You should see an AC current of about 120 milliamps (0.120 amps). Remember this is AC current not DC, and for current measurements you need to hook up the probes into different jacks on the meter. Also, meters have internal fuses to protect the meter against overcurrent when measuring on current scales. Often these get blown up and never replaced, which only affects current measurements. So if your meter reads zero AC current check the internal fuses to make sure they aren't blown. The reason I mention this is because when I went out this morning to try this on my quad I found my meter had a blown fuse (which I vaguely remember from a long time ago).

The above measurement checks to see if we can get power out of the stator winding by seeing if both voltage and current can be generated (power = voltage x current). Don't worry about the current meter shorting the stator winding out. That's the whole idea. This winding is inherently current limiting - it won't hurt anything.

BTW, where did you get your new CDI?