Chinese Quads Brands such as Jetmoto, Yamoto, Redcat, V-Bike, Hi Bird, and Kazuma

Tao Tao ATK125A Engine problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 10:50 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tao Tao ATK125A Engine problems

Hi all I'm a new-b here We bought a new Tao Tao ATK125A go cart/buggy from APSCUSA last year for our our boy's 6th birthday and this thing has been nothing but trouble since day one. I put it together and got it running, it ran for at most 15 mins and stopped. It wouldn't restart, it had no compression at all. Called Don and Greg at APSCUSA and got nothing but a big run around from them. I took the motor out and took it apart. I took pictures of this step by step. I found a piece of metal stuck in the top of the piston that had went through valves and hammered them all out along with the top of the piston. Then I called and sent the pictures to Don and Greg at APSCUSA. I was very upset and wanted a new motor. They would not send me one. After 15-20 calls and lots of complaining they finally sent me a new top end that I had to put back on and reinstall the motor. I also installed a New Keihin Carburetor and a NGK spark plug at the same time. I was able to get it running pretty good for the rest of last year. After fitting with APSCUSA for two and a half months to get the parts.

Now just the other day he and a friend were driving it when it quit again. No compression again. I brought it in the shop and adjusted the valves as they were tight. Started it up and they rode for 10 mins and it quit again. I haven't pulled the motor yet to see what went wrong this time. This thing has always ran hot. Really hot till it quit a few times.

Now I am looking for a replacement motor, hopefully something better. I come to find out it has a 107cc which would be a 110 not a 125 like I thought I had all along. It was sold to me and everyone else that bought one as a 125 that it is not.

Here is where I need some help!! The same buggy as I have in the 4-seat model has a 150 or at least thats what they are calling it whether it is or not I dont know. I would like to try one of those motors but I cant seem to find any of them. I can find 110's and 125's but no 150's. I have the Honda clone engine. What I need to know is what else bolts up similer to this and fit in there? The one I have is the full auto 3 speeds forward and reverse.

Has anyone put a different motor in one of these little buggy's? It is a really nice unit, low and wide with front and rear suspension. If I could just get a hold of a better motor to put in it that would keep running and have some more power. Any suggestions?? Please Help!!

Old 09-24-2016, 02:29 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 300 Likes on 294 Posts

The E22 Honda clone engine only seems to go up to 125, in fact the 125 version is rare, and is used to increase the model range for Kids Quad makers who already sell smaller E22 engined bikes, and can just slip the 125 engine into an existing frame. Does the engine get a good cooling airflow? If not, one of the GY6 engines may be better, as they are fan cooled and available in 150cc, but will be bigger in dimensions and making it fit will stretch your engineering abilities.

Old 09-24-2016, 09:48 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

When i bought the new 125atv. The dealer told me that untill you get up to the 150 class they are all 110's does not matter if they say 110, 125, 135 well you get the idea

Old 09-24-2016, 01:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

I can find several on E-bay that say they are a 120 cc in both full auto or semi auto w/reverse for $250 to $300. I was told by those jokers at APSCUSA that my buggy has a GY6 engine and it is definitely not. As far as my ability to install a GY6 engine would all depend on how they mount in comparison to what I have now. I dont want to have to rebuild the whole rear swing of the buggy. Its not that I couldnt do it. I just dont think its worth all the trouble for something he is only going to ride another year or 2 before we move up to a Razer clone 180 or 200 cc. I would like to know what engine Tao Tao puts in that 4-seater buggy that is the exact same as mine only longer with what they are calling a 150 cc?? I'm wondering if that is this 120 cc I'm finding that mounts up the same as mine?? Does anyone have one of those that they could look at the tag on the back to see what cc engine it really has? Please respond if so. I'm in northern MN and there isnt any dealers of any of that stuff around here thats why we bought over the internet from what we found out to be nothing but a couple of jerks that dont want anything to with you after the sale once they have your money. That 4-seater is called 4FUN (Upgrade Edition of GTK4150) If I had a GY6 I could up grade it to a 180 cc for $50 on E-bay you can get a cylinder and piston kit

Old 09-24-2016, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I wonder if I can put a 125 (120) top end on my 107 (110) that would be good improvement from what I have for cheap.