Classifieds, Garage Sale & Swap Shop Buy, Sell and Trade Goods.

2003 Yamaha Big Bear 400 (fixer upper or parts)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:20 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Yamaha Big Bear 400 (fixer upper or parts)

I am selling my four wheeler; $1,500 or best offer. It is a 2003 Yamaha Big Bear 400 4x4 with a 5 speed auto-clutch transmission. It is not running and is being sold AS-IS. It could be fixed up and become a good quad again or it could be used for parts. The problem preventing it from starting, started with a stuck carb float which caused gas to leak out of the overflow tube. I removed and cleaned the carburetor. After re-installing the carburetor, I tried to start the engine and heard a loud pop. Now if I try to start it I hear a noise which sounds like something rattling around in the engine. I am not a mechanic and do not know what the problem is but my guess would be the timing chain/belt snapped. A buddy of mine thinks it could be the starter bendix. I am selling it because I don’t have money to have it repaired and I am not mechanically knowledgeable to fix it myself.

I am the second owner, I purchased this Big Bear in May of 2005 with about 400 miles on it. The first couple years I owned it I put this quad through some beatings. In November of 2005 with only 669 miles I had to have the piston and rings replaced with a .50 mm overbore. It has been rolled twice which has bent the racks and the handlebars a little. It always started right up and rode like a champ without any problems after the rollovers. The plastic is broken and cracked in a few different places. The past couple years I have rarely rode this quad. The ball joints, steering knuckles, and wheel bearings were replaced at about 1200 miles. It currently has 1,441 miles on it. The rear tires (Carlisle AT489) are in like new condition and only have a couple hundred miles on them. I just replaced the battery in August 2009 and it has been sitting inside the warm house through the winter.

Some other problems with this quad are:
1. It has a reverse lever, which is supposed to stop you from being able to shift into reverse without pulling the lever. This lever does not work and has never worked as long as I have owned this quad. I have always just been careful not to shift into reverse while I am moving and it hasn’t been a problem.
2. When this Yamaha was running and was started with a cold engine it would burn oil and smoke would come out of the exhaust for a couple minutes. After the engine warmed up it would stop smoking.
3. The four wheel drive doesn’t work. The front differential was leaking fluid, I took it to a mechanic who said he would repair the leak for $200. When he opened up the differential he found bigger problems than just the leak and wanted $1,000 to rebuild the differential. I didn’t want to put that much money into it so I have just been riding it as a two wheel drive quad for the past couple years. The parts from the differential have been removed. I have these parts in a box I will give the buyer.
4. The rear brakes were not working and during freezing temperatures the brake shoe would freeze to the drum. The four-wheeler wouldn’t be able to move because of the frozen brake. The front brakes have always supplied enough braking power for me so I removed the parts from inside the rear brake drum to stop the freezing problem from happening. I will include these brake parts in the box with the front differential parts.

I will also include these following items with the sale:
1. three quarts of ATV motor oil
2. two partially full bottles of Foam Air Filter Oil
3. An extra used air filter.
4. Extra front brake pads for one caliper, still in the original package.
5. An extra original rear Maxxis tire.
6. A Haynes Repair Manual.
7. The original owners manual.

Shipping options:
1. You can pick up this ATV or arrange for shipping yourself.
2. I can deliver it to you for a charge of $1.40 per mile from zip code 44026 to your location. I will deliver to anywhere in the 48 contiguous United States. The four wheeler and the shipping must both be paid before I will make the delivery.
3. I have two trailers. A 5x8 enclosed trailer, and a 16 ft. landscaping trailer. If you are interested I will sell either one of these trailers for $1500. Then you can pick up the Big Bear and the trailer together.

I had these following items mounted on this ATV in the past. They are NOT INCLUDED in this sale. If you are interested I will sell you these separately:
1. 48” Yamaha Snowplow which is raised and lowered by a 2000 lb. winch. I will sell this plow, winch, and the mounting plates all for $400.
2. Four ITP Mud-Lite XL tires. I will sell these for $200.

If you have any questions or would like to come look at it, feel free to email or call me at 440-533-5682. My name is Jeremy.

Last edited by jleo; 02-02-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: adding information
Old 02-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Range Rover

Here are some pictures

Attached Thumbnails 2003 Yamaha Big Bear 400 (fixer upper or parts)-100_1304-400.jpg   2003 Yamaha Big Bear 400 (fixer upper or parts)-100_1307-400.jpg   2003 Yamaha Big Bear 400 (fixer upper or parts)-100_1308-400.jpg   2003 Yamaha Big Bear 400 (fixer upper or parts)-100_1309-400.jpg  
Old 02-14-2010, 06:31 PM
Range Rover

sold