Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Purpose of a lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-1999, 08:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get ride of the lift kit for the rear.!!!!!! Before you trash it maybe I could buy it from you so I could put it on my front.

Old 12-08-1999, 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

More misinformation is being passed around in these forums again. A lift kit "will" give you more ground clearance when measured from the frame/skid-plate to the ground. Those who say it will not, do not know what they are talking about at all and need to go back to school. Just consider the source of the mis-info. The purpose of the lift kit is to raise the body "and" the frame up.

Tall tires help even more, 2" taller give 1" more clearance, that's all, if that's what you want is ground clearance. I'm not fond of anything that lifts the center of gravity, and usually makes the handling go to hell, but some like it. Just hate to see misinformation being passed around by people who do not know what they are talking about. But there is lots of that here . . . lots of desktop mechanics who need Physics 101 again.

<A HREF="http://www.godigital-design.com/96Polaris.html">Schultz Motorsports</A>

Old 12-09-1999, 12:09 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

After thinking about it, which I hadn't much before, you don't lift anything but the body. You can't LIFT the a-arms off of the frame. You simply lengthen the distance between the two points where the shocks attach. This causes the front suspension to flex outward thus raising the front of the frame a little higher off of the ground. If you sit on the front, the suspension will squat back down like it is supposed to. Seems like it might put a little more stress on the shocks, but I doubt it would be a problem.

Thats where you get your extra clearance with a lift and stock tires. There is no way to get added clearance in the rear without putting on taller tires though. Unless of course you have an independant rear end.

By the way, they don't teach that subject in school. Or in college either. I looked for quad lifts 101 and it just wasn't in the curriculum.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 12-09-1999, 12:24 AM
Pro Rider

Andy, it seems that you are still con fused. The A-arms and the body are not moved from the frame at all. The A-arms are put at greater angles which lifts the ends of the A-arm higher, and since the ends are conected to the frame it,in turn, lifts the frame. By the way the loft also makes the front end narrower.

Haler if yea hear me!!!

Old 12-09-1999, 12:40 AM
Trailblazer

Hey BONER!

I'm Hollering at this one! Hey andy are you dumb or just stupid? Man I can't seem to get away from you. I guess you just follow people like a disease. What part of a lift kit do you not understand? On an IFS machine the total length of the shock is extended, thus pushing the frame of the machine higher and increasing the ground clearance at the front skidplate (do you know what that is?). This in turn "lifts" the quad. They do not advertise this as an "elevation" kit. It is designed for a purpose (which you obviously don't understand and have no need for). First off, it is intended to give a quad more wheel clearance under the fenders, and the second benefit (as I said before) is that it increases ground clearance on machines with IFS packages. I hope this clears things up for you. And next time, ask if you don't know. You don't look as bad that way.

"LOCK 'EM AND LEAVE 'EM!!!"
SwampMonster