Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Removing a rear axle on a 99 wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005 | 12:32 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Removing a rear axle on a 99 wolverine

I am new to this forum and I have looked all over the net for info on how to remove and replace my rear axle. I haven't found anything. I have a basic idea of how to go about it but I was hoping someone may be able to give me a link or steps to follow. I am most worried about what holds it in place and how it matches up with the drive shaft. I did a search of older forums and didn't really find anything that fit me. I need to remove my axle because I bent it on a large rock and it seems to be bent on the left side when looking from the rear. Thanks for any help

Old 05-13-2005 | 09:54 PM
Pro Rider

Remove both rear tires, take out the cotter pins and remove both hubs. These will be very tight, you may need an impact gun or big breaker bar. Unbolt the brake caliper and set it aside. Make sure the caliper is supported and not hanging by the brake hose. Unbolt the caliper mount, and remove. The axle slides out from right to left, take a wood block and hammer and tap it out. I know that your axle is junk, but never beat on the axle threads with a hammer, use a wood block or rubber mallet. There is a washer on the left end that will fall out when you remove the axle. It's not difficult, just pay attention to what goes where.

If you have any doubt about the condition of your axle bearings, now is the time. With the bike supported by the frame, wiggle the swingarm from side to side. If it has sideplay, you need swingarm bearings, too.

Old 05-13-2005 | 10:28 PM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info. You mentioned that my axle was "junk" but do you think if could be straightened? I have had this done on one other Quad about 15 years ago. Not to mention that I really don't have the cash to spring for a new one. (275.00 and up) Does anyone know of a GOOD used on-line parts place that can be trusted for this type of thing? I am still looking at my options. Thanks again.

Old 05-13-2005 | 10:53 PM
Pro Rider

Well, maybe junk was the wrong word, sorry. Some people do straighten axles. IMO, its a bad idea. But you have to do what works for you. I am sure that some others on here could give you input on axle repair.