Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Perfex Long Travel Kit--First Ride

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 08:59 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perfex Long Travel Kit--First Ride

I got my kit installed yesterday and took my Vinny for a littlle ride. Installation wasn't that bad-directions are kinda lame though! The fronts were MUCH easier to put on than the back. Anyway, DID notice some improvement in the ride. Especially at slower speeds. I have about 1.5' - 2' deep ditch along my driveway and did a fairly slow slalom up it. MUCH more noticeable "flex" -- very smooth. Crawled over some logs, etc. and noticed some improvement there as well, especially on some off-camber knolls and such. At faster speeds, can't tell a whole lot of difference. It more or less just "takes the edge off"- but still a little better than stock. Keep in mind, I have my shocks on their SOFTEST setting all the way around. It DOES give a noticeable 1" lift visually, AND in handling. Still slides well, but you can tell a change has been made to the height. VERDICT? Definately NOT the "plush" ride of IRS but, not a bad kit at all! It does well considering the simplicity of it. I believe one could make a substitute for a little cheaper ( it cost $90 ) by moving the LOWER shock mounts UP about a 1.5" on ALL 4 corners and get the same results. I admit, I had my hopes a little too high after reading in another forum about the kit, but am still SATISFIED with it. Would recommend for anyone looking for a little better ride for their SRA machine.

Old 04-28-2006, 12:21 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds good, I was a little worried about it being too soft and getting a wallowing feeling at higher speeds, especially in the corners. I want to soften my ride a little, but not alot. I e-mailed Perfex about the availability of a kit for my Wolverine and they said it was 3-4 weeks away. They have a listing and a part # for it on their website but it's not quite ready to go yet. So I get to wait for a little while. Did you have to do any drilling, or was the kit a complete bolt on? Got any pics of the kit intalled?

Old 04-28-2006, 09:08 PM
Trailblazer

Haven't got any pics ( camera messed up ). It IS 100% bolt on. No drilling or anything else. It is for my Vinny anyway. It didn't fit EXACTLY right on the right rear ( my brake line holder gets in the way a little but it still works ). My kit doesn't look like the picture on the website either. It is similar, but mine doesn't have the big bar hanging out back. It is only the shackles. When I was tracking the shipping it said that it only weighed 5 lbs. I was concerned at first, B/C that thing didn't look that light--was afraid I was getting the wrong part. But it came in a pretty small box ( prob 4"x8" ). Also, when you get it, it has parts for the front AND the back! I thought it was only the rear setup! I think my buddy is gonna get one for his Eiger now. Rode a little awhile ago, and found some other places on the farm that it gave a smoother ride on, other than where I rode yesterday. Like I say, it more takes the edge off the harsh places W/O being "squirelly" --can't remeber how to spell that! ( you know the little grey critters that climb trees! LOL! Anyway, not a bad deal at all!!!!! HEY, how do like those Bear Claws? I just CAN'T decide on the right tire for me! All the "good looking" ones ( IMO ) are too heavy---including the radials--- ex. BigHorns. Don't NEED or WANT a true mud tire. I want a TRAIL tire that's decent in the mud ( not the REALLY deep stuff ) Seems like you can only get a stock tire or a 6-ply. Surely there are some decent 4-plys out there! Maybe a Holeshot ATR? AAAHHHH, guess I'll keep looking!

Old 04-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

I love my Claws. Decent (but not great) in the mud, outstanding everywhere else. I'm not into heavy mudding so their deep mud performance means nothing to me. They wear like iron too, no doubt I'll get alot of miles out of these. They are 6 ply and although not terribly heavy, they're not light either. That's the price you pay for durability. I often ride deep into the middle of nowhere by myself and I don't need tire related issues 10 miles from the nearest paved road. How is the camber on your front tires with the kit installed? Do the the tops of the tires tip inward or outward as a result of the kit? What about the cv joint angles, have they changed much?

Old 04-29-2006, 08:14 PM
Trailblazer

The camber has changed very little if any. If I had to say though, my guess is a little out. Can't really tell much difference with the CV's either. I think they'll be just fine. The way I see it, just sitting on it changes their angle some. Nothing to worry about. I think the kits will look different w/ varying makes / models. That's why mine doesn't have the bar on it I guess![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2007, 11:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Did you ever get new tires? I just got some ITP TerraCross, 25". Best trail tire I've seen.

Old 03-12-2007, 08:25 AM
Pro Rider

makes your shocks mushy. they move faster than they were valved to move. When pushed they get hot and lose dampening. I took my kit off soon after installation. My kit was poorly bent and aligned too. You had to bend tabs around the a-arms that didn't meet up and the rear was a real Rube Goldberg set-up, but I guess it might be better than the radiator hose clamps perfex uses to hold the Foreman kit on.

It will affect your CV angle. First it will add over an inch to the ride height. That wouldn't be so bad, but the extra travel you get when you get full drop out of the suspension should worry you (rear driveshaft angle too). (the shocks limit your travel)

No offense to BillyMack, but the kit rides like crap. It does ride softer, but mushy softer. You can rock the machine 2" back and forth just by shifting your weight (while stopped).

This kit is an excellent example of getting what you pay for. Not much.

PS, I not only noticed a negative camber, but toe-in and toe-out are affected. As the suspension articulates more, it results in more toe-in when you compress and more toe out when the front end is unsprung. Most steering systems were not engineered for the increased travel. While it doesn't matter as much with an ATV on dirt, it still isn't right and could pose a safety issue, particularly if you ride on the pavement.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:45 PM
Trailblazer

Hmmmm, that's the first negative opinion I have heard of on this kit. Thanks for your honest opinion. I am very picky with toe in and camber, I have one ordered for my Rubicon, I hope it doesn't ruin all the work I put into getting it perfect because that would pizz me off.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:40 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had the kit on my 07 Rubicon and it was Good in my book. Deffinitley softened the bumps at lower speeds and didn't affect hi speed handling.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

that's just the problem. very few opinions and they were from people that just couldn't deal with the ride (it does make it softer) and didn't care how it handled.

I also didn't like the manufacturer's attitude. Shade tree that was offended I was asking him technical questions (like if he knew what a bend allowance is).

I should have tried Vinson shocks on it.

Hey CanAmMt, you had it on your Rubicon? You don't have it anymore? If not I guess you can't give us a long term?.... I suppose if you never push your suspension to the max you might not have a problem...