Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Progressive 512 Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2007, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Progressive 512 Shocks

I like my ATV, but the ride is like a dump truck. I'm about to purchase the subject shocks. I can get the set of 4 for $400.

I would like to see honest opinions, disappointments, horror stories, praise, whatever.

Tried the PERFEX thing, you get what you pay for there. Not going there again. But I am not going to spend >$1K more on Elkas or Works. For that kind of money I'd rather trade up.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider

What is hard riding for you may be soft for someone else, however check these links out. You might be able to change just the spring and not the entire shock.

http://www.atvoutfitters.net/lift_springs.htm

http://www.atvoutfitters.net/shocks.htm

Old 04-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Pro Rider

well thanks buckaroo, but the general concensus is that the 01-04 Rubicons (and foremans) ride pretty rough (on rough trails). Everything rides nice on smooth trails. I've driven enough to say the same. A more progressive suspension calibration would really benefit this machine.

the Highlifter springs are opposite of what I am looking for. The price for Progressive shocks at atvoutfitters is good, but I found a source that is $40 cheaper for 4 with free shipping.

The claims I have heard about perfex, IMO, are not completely true. It does ride softer, but mushy and that only lasts until your shocks fade, then you are on pretty much just springs. I wanted all opinions on the change from stock to the progressives and I can weed out (not criticize) what I think is an incomplete opinion.

I'm close to buying a Rincon for the ride, but I know I'll miss the Hondamatic and occasionally the low range. If I can improve the ride of my Rubicon at a reasonable cost I would rather do that. I would rather not blindly buy the shocks only to be disappointed like I was with the rube goldberg perfex kit.

Hey Honda, what about the CTE for the US!!!

Old 04-13-2007, 02:24 PM
Pro Rider

I have heard some good things about the progressives, and I did read a couple other articles that starte that the Rubicons do ride hard, one article mentioned that they handled good on relatively smooth ground (like a go-cart), then after changing to progressives it was like day and night, and the handling was still there for the most part. I found the articles by doing a Yahoo search for progressive springs, and noticed some links to testing them...

They seem like the answer, I did a little checking to see if they were available for my AC but could not find any - rats. Maybe another company may offer a two stage type of progressive suspension, I will keep looking...

Old 06-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

MikeM, did you ever go with the Progressive 512 setup?

I'm curious 'cuz I need to do something about making my 2004 Foreman more comfortable to ride on rough and rocky trails. I'm looking for feedback from people who have actually installed the 512's on a utility machine.

I'm trying to determine if it's worth investing $400+ in this bike or if I need to consider trading it. Other than the rough ride, I'm very pleased and don't really want to trade. Is the Progressive 512 Series worth installing?

GC