Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Front end Slipping under load

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007 | 07:42 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Front end Slipping under load

Hi All:

I have a 99 Grizzly and when i am plowing or in deep terrrain and alot of pressure is on the machine or stuck in a mudhole. I notice the front end skipps or like a grinding action with the tires are not going around. I thought it may be my differential but changed the gear oil and there were no filings. Now i am under the assumption that my CV joint may be worn or damaged. Is there anyway to check the CV joints to see if they are working correctly.

Any suggestions or help appreciated.

Old 04-14-2007 | 10:07 AM
Pro Rider

Almost sounds like the front engagement assembly (transfer case) may have some issues. It is located someplace between the front differential and the transmission (could be closer to differential or closer to trans depending on your machine).

You could jack the back end (set it on blocks) up off the ground an inch or so and see if the front will pull it off the jack/blocks. If not then only three thigs could be wrong, transfer case, differential or CV joints.... And since you said that the differential is ok then that leaves only two others to check...

If you jack all four wheels off the ground and you see the front drive shaft turning (in 4 wheel drive) but the wheels aren't then chances are that the transfer case is ok (only if the transfer case is on the transmission side of the shaft) and now only leaves the CV joints.

Old 04-14-2007 | 12:42 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

The four wheel drive works but on heavy load i hear the sound and the wheels seems to vibarate (guess from something slipping it is vibrating). If not under heavy load it works fine.

If i take off the brake assembly and rotors, pop off the bottom ball joint would the cv joints come right out or will i have to pop them out with pry bar.

When i get them out how do i check to see if they are ok?

Before i start pulling all the front end apart i am going to jack up the back wheels and pin the maching against the garage wall and (in 4wd) i am going to give the her the gas slowly and see what is spinning and what is not. If the cv joints are spining and the drive shaft is spinning it must be the differential. I think.