Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Why won't any shock fit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008 | 11:26 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Why won't any shock fit?

I posted this in the kawasaki forums, but wanted to post here as well in case someone else might have opinions. But basically, I've got a 98 kawasaki bayou 4x4 that needs shocks (at least on the front). Now, as long as I can find a shock that's the same length and size that will bolt up to it, why couldn't I just use it? The local dealer priced me 600 bucks for two replacement oem shocks for this thing. That's crazy!

Old 05-07-2008 | 12:30 PM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: High_Speed

I posted this in the kawasaki forums, but wanted to post here as well in case someone else might have opinions. But basically, I've got a 98 kawasaki bayou 4x4 that needs shocks (at least on the front). Now, as long as I can find a shock that's the same length and size that will bolt up to it, why couldn't I just use it? The local dealer priced me 600 bucks for two replacement oem shocks for this thing. That's crazy!</end quote></div>

and rebound and dampening!

Old 05-07-2008 | 12:45 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

There listed at $287 a pair for a 98 400.

At $600 your dealer is using drugs,are you sure he did not mean all 4? I.m sure there are better deals than $287 also.

Old 05-10-2008 | 11:10 AM
Pro Rider

High_Speed,
its only a '98 Bayou, its not rocket science. As long as the shock is the same length and its dirt cheap go ahead and give it a try. Measure the free length of your shock, and the bolt diameter, and take a look on e-bay, or at someplace that sells used ATVs.

I had a set of King Racing stock replacement shocks for a Yamaha Rhino 660 that were sitting around my garage collecting dust, and I got curious to see if they would fit any of our other ATVs. It turned out that the shock length for the front shocks of a Rhino 660 are the same as the shock length for the rear shocks of a Grizzly 700. So I put the front Rhino King Racing shocks on the rear of one of our Grizzly 700s, and took it for a ride. To my surprise they were night and day better than the OEM shocks. It was really phenomenal how fantastic they worked. They were so much better, even with the shocks being made for an entirely different type of vehicle, with a different weight and different size, that they are what convinced me that the stock suspension on a Grizzly 700 sucks a lot more than most people realize. In other words, the stock suspension could be lots better with better quality shocks. The King shocks piggyback reservoir would have hit the exhaust at full compression though, so I took them back off the Grizzly. But I was so impressed with them that I sprung for a set of Ohlins shocks for my Grizzly, and they are even better than the King shocks were.

So if you want to try a different shock from another ATV, as long as its cheap in your case, I say go for it. Its not like you're riding a race quad afterall.

DV

Old 05-10-2008 | 02:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!

I would have to agree with desertviper. the other thing is, you may be able to buy brand new aftermarket shocks cheaper than the dealer wants for the oem ones. I am guessing there isn't a huge market for '98 bayou suspension, but Works or somebody may have a solution for you.

Old 05-11-2008 | 09:31 PM
Pro Rider

Like others have said... measure the free length and then the bolt diameters and give it a go!

I would really like another inch of ground clearance on my Grizzly (Kodiak) 450. and I know my front shocks are 14.25" eye-to-eye in length. So I'd like to get some 16" shocks and give them a bid :-) That way I might even pick up an inch of travel as well.. . :-)

Let us know how you make out!

Old 06-12-2008 | 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: DesertViper

High_Speed,

its only a '98 Bayou, its not rocket science. As long as the shock is the same length and its dirt cheap go ahead and give it a try. Measure the free length of your shock, and the bolt diameter, and take a look on e-bay, or at someplace that sells used ATVs.

I had a set of King Racing stock replacement shocks for a Yamaha Rhino 660 that were sitting around my garage collecting dust, and I got curious to see if they would fit any of our other ATVs. It turned out that the shock length for the front shocks of a Rhino 660 are the same as the shock length for the rear shocks of a Grizzly 700. So I put the front Rhino King Racing shocks on the rear of one of our Grizzly 700s, and took it for a ride. To my surprise they were night and day better than the OEM shocks. It was really phenomenal how fantastic they worked. They were so much better, even with the shocks being made for an entirely different type of vehicle, with a different weight and different size, that they are what convinced me that the stock suspension on a Grizzly 700 sucks a lot more than most people realize. In other words, the stock suspension could be lots better with better quality shocks. The King shocks piggyback reservoir would have hit the exhaust at full compression though, so I took them back off the Grizzly. But I was so impressed with them that I sprung for a set of Ohlins shocks for my Grizzly, and they are even better than the King shocks were.

So if you want to try a different shock from another ATV, as long as its cheap in your case, I say go for it. Its not like you're riding a race quad afterall.

DV</end quote></div>

Hey DV,

Surprised I didn't ask this question of you when I replied last time... so here I go:

What is the Free length of the Rear Shocks for the Grizzly 700? As I had said previously.. the best way to get a lift / better ride is longer shocks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

-CraZy

Old 06-13-2008 | 02:38 PM
Pro Rider

There are some aftermarket shocks for sale from the CVman. his site is http://www.cvrestoration.com/s...-ATV-SHOCKS/Categories

It appears that all you need to know is bolt diameter, shock diameter, free length, compressed length, travel of the shock. I am inthe process of looking for new shocks as well and although he does not specifically sell them for my machine he told me over the phone how to take the measurements so he can match them up for me. His prices are less than half of other places I have seen. I have also purchased CV boots from him and was very pleased with his customer service.

Swampy