Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

What kind of tires to buy??

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:08 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of tires to buy??

I'm new to this forum and to atvs. I just bought my first atv. Its a 2005 Honda rancher 350 4x4. I has just over 1000 miles on it and it needs new tires. I'm looking for something a little more agresive. Would also like to go a little larger like 26". Is it ok to put 12" wide tires on the front or should I go with the 10"? The two tire I have been looking at are the Kenda executioners or the mudlite xl. I do most of my 4wheeling Maine in the mountains. There are lots of large rocks and deep mud on the trails. With this infomation witch tire would be best. All need ne rims stockers are all bent up from the rocks.
Thanks

Old 11-08-2008, 12:28 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run the mudlites for some time now. I love them. I have very little experience with anything else since I got hooked on these from the get go. I ride mud, rocks, and dust all summer long! LOL! I like the executioners look, but aren't they more of a mud tire? You said you ride rocks too so I don't know how the kendas would do on the rocks. I'm not familiar with the rancher, but I'm sure the offset of the new wheels would allow clearance for a 10" tire up front, maybe even a 12". Something to keep in mind is that a wider tire up front will make steering harder. I have had good luck with ITP rims and they have a lifetime warranty. I haven't had to use the warranty yet, darn it!, so not sure how good it is, but it was a deal maker for me. I like douglas rims, too, but they don't carry the warranty. Climbing rocks like you do maybe consider rims with beadlocks so you can air down to pretty much nothing and protect the rim? Most importantly, when you get this done, post some pics for us! We all like to see the rides!

Old 11-08-2008, 09:25 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. Heres a question for you why doesn't ITP make any wider then a 7" rim? I would think you want a wider rim for wider tire so you get a wider footprint. I've had 4x4 trucks and always put wider rims like a 10" wide rim on a 12.5 tire. Plus you get less center treed wear. I'm also going to put a 2" lift and 1.5 or 2" wheel spacers on, because the higher you go the wider you go.

Old 11-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm that's a good question. I dont know. But, I agree with you on the higher you go the wider you go theory. I follow that myself and don't have the problems rolling like others do. Try calling ITP, maybe they just don't advertise a wider rim. There must be some good reason I would think?

Old 11-09-2008, 12:30 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's cheaper to make a 7" rim for the front and back than it is to make a 6" for the front and a 9" on the back or something like that.

Old 11-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do you have any performance add-ons on your Rancher. You may want to look into a air filter, jet kit and maybe even a pipe. You go put 26" or bigger tires on there and your gonna know it. I love the Ranchers ( have two of them) but the 350's didn't like much over stock size tires. You'll lose top end and the ability to use 2nd or 3rd gear, depending on the kind of mud your in. But I will saw, if you do lift and bigger tires, it will look AWESOME!!! Seen it done and they are sharp. Definetly post pics!

I like Kenda Bear Claw's. I have stock size, except 1" wider in the back on my 08, I swapped them over from my 03 so I have less aggressive tire for working in the yard, (03 got retired). I think the 08 will have enough grunt, def for 25" maybe even 26".

Old 11-17-2008, 07:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you are looking at doing some rock climbing then don't get the Executioners. Best for rocks would be: BigHorn, BearClaw, Terracross, SwampLite.