Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Pitbull Growlers -vs- Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 09:23 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pitbull Growlers -vs- Rockers

Looking for some information to compare these two tires. Most of my riding is in rocky terrain, but for 5 months of the year I'm riding in a lot of snow as well. Very little mud to speak of so that is not a concern to me.
I have ridden in snow with a guy that was running Rockers, and I rode circles around him with my Bighorns. The Rockers seemed to want to just dig in. I'm wondering if the Growlers would perform better in the snow but still be comparable in the rocky terrain. I've always run Bighorns but thinking about going to a taller tire and Bighorns don't come any taller than 26" in the 14" size.
Also looking for information about the ride quality between the 6 ply and the 8 ply. Never had any issues running 6 ply but wouldn't be opposed to 8 if I don't have to give up the good ride to get there.
If I decide to pull the trigger and spend that kind of money I want to be sure that I'm buying a tire that will work at least as well, and hopefully better than my BH's. I'm not interested in all the other tires out there, just trying to get some info on the Pitbulls.
Thanks

Old 11-17-2011, 11:19 AM
ʇsıʇɹɐ ɹǝʌolloɹ
Providing the enemies of the United States with the maximum opportunity to give their lives for their country since 1775.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the PB Growlers on my 650 outty, the previous owner put them on- I never heard of'em before that. These are my new favorite tire! I love'em!
So far, in deep mud or large wet rocky trails- they perform awesome. I run with about 3-4 lbs due to the rocky terrain around here.

I would think the 8 ply would be very heavy and have a stiff side wall- but you can probably run with 3 lbs especially with an 8 ply tire to make up for some of that extra rubber-

I have no experience with the rockers- but can give a in regards to the growlers

Old 11-20-2011, 09:52 PM
Range Rover

Nice looking quad you have there. (for a canned ham) Thanks for the input.

Old 11-22-2011, 05:48 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

the rockers are excellent tire. they are not stiff as most would think,actually kinda squishy for an 8 ply.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:48 PM
Range Rover

I ended up buying the Rockers. If they work as good as they look, I will be a happy camper. They are bad A$$ when you actually see them in person!

Name:  IMG_6204Small.jpg
Views: 625
Size:  42.2 KB

Name:  IMG_6207Small.jpg
Views: 914
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  IMG_6208Small.jpg
Views: 1306
Size:  64.1 KB

Name:  IMG_6206Small.jpg
Views: 733
Size:  56.4 KB

Old 12-29-2011, 08:28 AM
Range Rover

Still haven't made it out on the trails yet. However, with the recent snow here I have been out in the field and on the streets around the house. I can say that if you like spinning donuts on the snow packed streets then you won't like these tires. Man do they dig in and bite. If there isn't ice under your tires, you won't do a donut. Took the wife's 500 out with the Bighorns and can spin until I'm dizzy. I'm a little concerned about what will happen when I get into some deep snow. Thinking I will spend alot of time sitting on the skid plates looking for a winch. However, if I'm not high centered or on ice I don't think much will stop me. Hope to find out soon.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Range Rover

Finally made it out for a ride to test the new Rockers. Amazing!! It appears that my fears about deep snow were unfounded. The Rockers perform great in the deep snow and icy hills.
I did notice that when I was in high with the throttle pinned that there was actually a little drag down on the engine, where as with the Bighorns there wasn't any at all. Just guessing, I would say this was from getting more bite from the PB's. There is only 24 lbs. difference from the BH's to the PB's, so I don't think that would be the cause.
I would have to say that they even out perform my old Bighorns in those conditions.
The lateral grip is way better and if there is any traction available, they seem to find it.
If anyone ever had any questions about the value of a good aftermarket tire -vs- OEM tire, they should have seen what we all saw on this New Years Day ride. My wifes 500 on Bighorns out performed (by a large margine) a couple of 850's on OEM tires.
If these Rockers wear as well as the Bighorns, and from what I've seen they do, I think I'm done buying the BH's. Can't believe I'm saying that because the BH's are a great tire, but I really do think the Pitbulls are a better tire. The big drawback is the price, but if that isn't an issue for you I recommend Pitbulls.

Name:  P1010006Medium.jpg
Views: 1076
Size:  119.3 KB

Old 01-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider
Does it in the Mud!

They will be on that atv for 6,000 plus miles. They take forever to wear out. I live in st louis where thie pitbulls are made(first made them for rock crawling trucks and jeeps) and ive seen alot of happy riders that have them. Around here they are called the tire with "MAGICAL" rubber. For an 8 ply its very forgiving,the rubber sticks to rocks,and they never wear out. Unfortunately i have not had a set as they were on back order for almost 2 months when i needed some,so i got swamplites(still good tire and last long as well). glad your happy.

Old 01-09-2012, 03:10 PM
Pro Rider

i recdently put the growlers on mine.....had em out twice so far....was very wet and muddy and i was very pleased at how well they performed.....cant wait till it snows around here so i can try them in the snow.....

Old 01-11-2012, 08:50 AM
Pro Rider
Loves riding and can't get enough.
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bobx2
I would have to say that they even out perform my old Bighorns in those conditions.
The lateral grip is way better and if there is any traction available, they seem to find it.
I think this is a very common finding. I thought my BHs were awesome until I replaced them with Carlisle ACTs and found out what it was like to have a tire that handled great.

People replace their OE tires with BHs and they are such an improvment over the OEs they think BHs are the greatest tire on earth and they will defend them with their life. I'm not saying that they are bad tires its just that there are soo many better ones out there.

Once they replace the the BHs and get a different tire they realize that the BHs aren't the greatest tires after all.

Just think what it would be like to put a few hundred miles and several different sets of tires before ever buying a set. I wonder if you would end up with the same tires you just purchased?

The Grim Reapers by the are awesome snow tires.

Quick Reply: Pitbull Growlers -vs- Rockers