Drivetrain, Suspension & Tires Discussions on ATV drivetrain, suspension, and tires.

Wheel Spacers or not?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2003, 12:43 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel Spacers or not?????

Anyone have an opinion about using spacers to get a wider foot print? I ride on a MX track 95% of the time and need the stability. If I can avoid it, I don't want to spend the money on axles. Escpecially since axels are something I'm going to eventually break or ruin anyway. Wheel spacers or just offset rims? I don't know how much width I could get with offsets.

Thanks, Karlfly

Old 02-26-2003, 01:18 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With ITP rims and Holeshot XC tires I get +3 in the back, and +2 in the front. The ITP rims have a greater offset than stock or Douglas, so you gain some inches there. Plus, the Holeshots are a bit wider than the stock tires. +3 is a nice compromise, that makes the bike over 48" wide. Wide enough for some increased stability, but not so wide that you can't trail ride. For motocross though, you might want to go even wider.

Wheel spacers are +4", so if you have stock rims and tires, that would make you 50" wide in the rear. www.sand-sport.com are the only spacers I would trust. I have a set and use them in the dunes. There is some speculation that spacers put a greater strain on your suspension, but I haven't had any problems. Plus, theoretically they make your a-arms longer which would change the leverage on your shocks. But in actual fact, you never really notice the difference.

Old 03-04-2003, 11:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

It seems that wheel spacers would put quite a bit more strain on the hubs....is bending and tweaking out hubs a common thing if wheel spacers are installed?

Old 03-05-2003, 10:48 AM
Pro Rider

wheel spacers are a great idea... and most of them are guarrented for life.. and wont break.. and no they wont damage your hubs.. alba put them on the front of the 400 warrior and they said it helps the suspesion

Old 03-05-2003, 01:48 PM
Trailblazer

Do any of you know what you are talking about?

He runs MX 95% of the time, wheel spacers are not going to hold up. Wheel spacers give more leverage on the rear making that P.O.S. stock axle bend and break easier. On the front it kicks your leverage out away from the ball joints so I do not know how Alba can say they help the suspention. Nothing beats shocks,A-arms, and a good axle, but if you are on a budget buy a RPM axle (you will never have a problem with it) flip your front wheels around and drill new valve stem hole 180 degrees out from the original hole, pull a valve stem in backwards to fill the original hole and ride until you can get the money for shocks then A-arms. Back in the day that is what was done on the pro-level quads befor A-arms were being built.
Oh yea fliping the wheels out will still cause a push in turns but at least you did not have to pay for new parts! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-05-2003, 08:10 PM
Range Rover

i don't wanna **** you off RURacing but how is flipping the stock wheels around any different than putting wheel spacers on the front?? its doing the exact same thing

Old 03-05-2003, 09:17 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks RU, I had a suspicion that was the case. I mean if spacers are such a great idea, why would everyone be spending $400 for axles? I really don't want to widen the quad at all, because not only am I going to have to modify my 8' X 50" trailer, but I'm going to also have to widen the damn door of my storage shed in the back to get that SOB in there. However, I need to do something, and not trying to brag, but my skill level is starting to out grow my quad's performance. If you know what I mean. Also, I am on a budget. My wife now wants toys, you know the kind that come in pairs, that guys like to play with. It's a win, win situation.

Thanks, Karl.

Old 03-06-2003, 12:16 AM
Trailblazer

Mudracer300

Did you not read this part?

RURacing Oh yea fliping the wheels out will still cause a push in turns but at least you did not have to pay for new parts!
I know What it will do and yes it will do the samething but it does not cost $100 to do it like wheel spacers.

Old 03-06-2003, 01:21 AM
Trailblazer

Yes, I did. And for now yes I will.

Old 03-06-2003, 06:25 PM
Range Rover

i read your post but i saw nothing in there about the extra stress besides the part about wheel spacers.
the only downside you said about flipping the wheels around was the fact that they will still push in the corners nothing about the extra stress.
i just don't want some one to think that by flipping the rims around you are better offthen buying wheel spacers
yes it is alot cheaper but will have the same effects on the wheeler