Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

front dune tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 07:16 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front dune tires

Treeshot

By the way, me being a novice dunner, do you have any problem getting around the trees with the tight berms, (I hope you know what I'm talking about, not good at explaining it) with your wider and longer setup? I know a few guys that went +4" on the front with offset rims were brushing the tree and off the edge of the berm while making the turn. In the future I'm looking at going to your setup for the dunes. If I may also ask, what motor mods have you done?
Thanks

Happarap

Old 08-20-2003, 10:10 AM
Range Rover
Default front dune tires

I don't have much trouble getting around trees. One treeshot comes to mind that is tight as a **** on the bottom and you have to make a sharp left on a trail thats only a quad width wide and surrounded by trees. I bump my rear tire going around that one but the few places it causes me trouble are nothing compared to how much my setup helps me everywhere else. About the only other problem I have is really narrow stuff cause my tires have no clearance on the sides. You've gotta be spot on coming outa stuff like that so you don't drop a tire off into no mans land. Again though, it helps more than it hurts. I've been really happy so far but if you start to widen your bike take some time and get used to how it handles before you go try something real wicked.

Old 08-20-2003, 10:14 AM
Range Rover
Default front dune tires

As for internal motor mods its bone stock. Other than my pipe, carbs, and intake everything else I've done is for handling performance.

Old 08-21-2003, 10:17 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!
Default front dune tires

Treeshot
Thanks for the info, I ride alot of tight trails in the mountains up here, so can't be too wide. Do you think going to Lonestar 2" swingarm will help in the dunes? Did you do anything to the front, width to match your rear width? I have the torch lights also, have you had any problem with them?

Happarap

Old 08-21-2003, 08:14 PM
Range Rover
Default front dune tires

Any extended swing arm is going to help you. The +2 won't keep the front end down as well as the +4 but you will still notice a difference. I have wide offset wheels on the front which I did before the axle. I never got a really accurate measurement but using a tape measure and eyeball I'm about 49" wide front and back. Once you start playing with length and width your bike will handle different so just be prepared to adjust to a new ride.

The only problem I had with the Trail Techs was the back part where the light plugs into came loose on one. Easy fix, just unscrew the cap, pull the light, plug it back in and put 'er back together.

Old 08-22-2003, 01:01 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!
Default front dune tires

Treeshot
Thanks again for the information, I think eventually I will go with +4 swingarm, +4 axle and A arms to match rear width, but then there's the 686 kit, but then there's my marriage. My wife has been very understanding, but I think I'll take things alittle slower, better later than never.

Old 09-09-2003, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider
Default front dune tires

sorb you dont know your a$$ from a hole in the ground. I'll smoke your NEW slugs put together, on the hill and through dunes.