Dunes and Dune Machines Discussion on dunes and dune machines.

Two Wheels in the Dunes: worth the effort?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 04:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two Wheels in the Dunes: worth the effort?

I went for my second trip to the dunes this weekend, to Sand Lake, in Oregon. (My first trip was to Florence about 4 years ago so I am a totaly newby, basically. On that trip we rented two quads and I was riding my YZ-250 w/ a 10 paddle tire. I seem to recall it working OK, but only rode it for a few minutes due to a problem with the bike).

Anyway this trip I took my current bike, a DRZ-400 S. This bike has plenty of usable power for all other types of off-roading I've done though it is geared high as it's a DP bike (I've stripped off a lot of the street legal stuff).

I absolutely stuggled in the sand. Now I didn't have a paddle tire, so obviously that's a bit of it. But I've seen plenty of photos in various bike mags of people on the top of massive dunes on normal knobbies. ( I have aggressive Dunplop street legal knobbies on my bike, NOT DP tires. ) Trying to go up a very small hill from the beach to the flat area at sand lake I barely made it. Screaming the engine only resulted in a big rooster tail of sand and little forward progress.

Also the bike wanted to headshake so bad in the sand at about 20 mph that it was really frightening. The bike is a about 70 lbs more than a 250, that may have something to do with it. All it all it was fun riding on the hard sand on the beach but the rest of the trip was not fun. One guy told me "you have to go fast". I can accept that as a strategy but felt like I might not make it to the "planning stage" and back in one piece.

I noticed there were no other bikes there. So I'm wondering what experiences have others had with two wheels in the dunes. Should I put the effort into getting a paddle tire (rim size is different on the DRZ from the YZ so can't use the old 19" one w/out getting a new wheel) or just bag it and start saving for an ATV?

I realize this is an ATV forum, so I know people here love ATVs. (I'm getting the bug) ... but I'm hoping to get some answers from people with dirtbike experience and not "two wheels suck" types of replies.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-19-2004, 05:56 PM
HA2
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it was all because you didnt have a paddle. i see every make and model of bike out spanking on the hill. ive personally ridin a CR250 with and without paddle and its the difference between having a jet boat or a canoe.

Old 07-19-2004, 07:48 PM
Range Rover

get a paddle and get your speeds up and they are easy as hell to ride in the dirt.tons of funto.a lil squirley on take off but good after that.

Old 07-19-2004, 08:02 PM
HA2
Pro Rider

i get squirelly at the top of test at gordons wells once on a cr at the top of 4th gear. not a good feeling when you're not used to riding bikes in the sand. hahaha but if i could do it anyone could do it.

Old 07-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

I used to desert race on CR500 dirt bikes, and two races each year would take us right through the Little Sahara Sand Dunes, in Utah, with about fifteen miles of racing across sand dunes. We ran knobby tires for the desert races (of course), and never really had a problem in the dunes. Of course we were not trying to find the biggest bowls or tallest hills, but rather, the absolute fastest route through the sand that still made it to all of the checkpoints. The key to riding a dirt bike in sand is a good set of knobby tires, or paddles (not "street legal knobbies"). After that, you need lots of power, and the less weight the better. Then just keep your weight ALL THE WAY to the very back of the dirt bike, and never ever let off the throttle. It takes practice, but with time you can get to where you are even faster in sand than you are in dirt, at least I was.

Old 07-19-2004, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the tips. The tire is a Dunlop D 606. It is one of the most aggressive street legal tires made.

Here is a pic, to me it looks just like an agressive knobbie, but the rubbers a little harder. That should not make any
difference in the sand though.

pic of tire:

http://www.motoworldracing.com/media...4-d606rear.jpg

Old 07-19-2004, 10:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

BTW: Outer Limit: I'm jealous of those races. I'd like to do that, but time constraints make it hard to do. Running a big CR flat out across the desert sound really fun.

I notice it's all four-wheelers on your list of toys. Do you still ride two wheelers? Do you much prefer 4 for the sand, despite your ability on the CR?

Old 07-19-2004, 11:25 PM
HA2
Pro Rider

like most of the old cr500 riders, looks like he had to calm down from either injuries or age and buy some slower machines....hence the yamaha stable. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img] hehe just kidding

Old 07-20-2004, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider

Good one HA2.

Age, marriage, and a couple of "young-en's" is what moved me over to four wheelers. The wife likes riding her Grizzly, but would never have ridden her own two wheeler. And my sons started riding quite young (age 5), so it was just easier with a mini ATV instead of a mini dirt bike. Although I still had a CR 500 when kid #1 started riding on an XR 70. I found out that a big fast dirt bike cannot slow down to ride with a slow mini dirt bike, but a big fast ATV can easily slow down to ride with a slow mini ATV. When I had a dirt bike I rode by myself, or with friends, and I would rather ride with my family. My sons are getting older now, and kid #1 is now 14 and has been hinting about wanting a YZ 125. So who knows, we may have a few dirt bikes in the stable again one of these days.

Old 07-20-2004, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

DrZero,
I do prefer four wheels for sand riding. That tire you were using might be ok on a two wheeler with a whole lot of power, and the ability to generate a lot of wheel speed in a hurry (two stroke). But for the two wheeler you have, I would think you would do much better in sand with a paddle tire.

Quick Reply: Two Wheels in the Dunes: worth the effort?